When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new long 5 insert and a chance to receive a free...

Beachcomber

Yuki faded insert.

Guys, since I received I knew genuine insert I would like to find a new home for the Yuki insert I purchased and faded. All you have to do is be a contributing member in need of an insert not a modder who has plenty, this and post a photo of the watch you will be installing the insert on and you will automatically be entered to win. The other requirement is to post a photo of the insert installed on your watch, so I guess this would mostly apply to vintage Sub owners. I pay all postage, totally free.

Here's the insert I just received and is NOT the one I'm giving away.

8baf7990ca7c33863231f088ddffb6a1.jpg

And here's the Yuki you will receive.

5c2abbdf715bbc6f2a3d31862a10a75d.jpg

Good luck gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm mostly a lurker here, so I don't anticipate winning (and may not even be eligible)... However, here's what I would use it for:

PT 1680 - Modeled around a 1978/79 build.

I've wanted a 1680 for quite a while, but I could never find the right one. After reading... and reading... I decided to follow the advice of RA and many others who said the Puretime version was the way to go. Unfortunately, this was during the time when PT was completely sold out of 1680s and he didn't know when/if any were going to be offered again. With no other option, I started to collect parts separately over the past six or seven months, which led to a heck of a learning experience...

Last December, I was able to purchase a PT White dial and ordered some hands separately from Raffles. The dial and hands were lightly textured and aged, then placed on a Swiss ETA movement. In March, I was finally able to get a PT case (without insert) from a member at RWI. The crown guards have been reworked and there's still a little more work to be done. I then installed a Sternkrauz crystal, but the original PT retaining ring and bezel won't properly fit on it, so I bought a Clark bezel assembly from another member. This secured the crystal properly, but I want to replace the bezel because it was overly polished.

Athaya's 702 crown was next, which seem to go right on with no trouble... until I cut the stem too short and had to wait another week for a new stem to arrive. Also sourced some gen spec springbars from Startime, which were graciously ordered for me by another member here. During this time, the movement started going erratic, so I replaced it with one from another watch that I purchased.

With no insert, I finally broke down and bought one of the cheap ones with a metal pearl on eBay, but it was too thick and the hole is too big without the pearl. I had to sand down the bottom quite a bit, but it still won't snap in properly. I also work with leather for my other job, so I became interested in learning how to make my own watch straps. Taking cues from B&S and Hodinkee, I made a few minimal stitch leather straps. I'm still learning, but it's a neat experience.

So that leads me to where I am today, with a mostly "complete" 1680 but one that I'm not entirely satisfied with yet. I've assembled and disassembled this watch so many times that I'd love to have something to say "I'm finally done" with it.

Anyway, thanks for reading and here are some photos:
zSCC3l0.jpg
xXvkJqE.jpg
274j1k8.jpg
PIZ3VGX.jpg

Damn! Thank god it's free and I pay shipping. All I want is a photo of your Sub. Mods, maybe you should change the title to FREE, it may be a little ambiguous for some. I was going to randomly choose a number from the posts but at this rate it just may go to Serenity, who posted a fantastic photo and story and photo about his Sub.

Simply put, I'm blown away right now and wasn't expecting this at all. Thanks so much, Steve; I can't express my gratitude enough! :)

I'm pretty excited to get this for my 1680 and I'll be sure to post a photo when it's done. I also promise to pay it forward and help out anyone if I can in the future too. (And not lurk as much!)

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

Funny! I just literally saw this thread now. I was 20 minutes late. I was going to enter in my PT red 1680. Oh well, no worries. :) I'll BUY it from you. LOL

sorry mate, I think it's going to a good home. I'll fade one for you if you like, gotta get one from Yuki first.

sorry mate, I think it's going to a good home. I'll fade one for you if you like, gotta get one from Yuki first.

No worries at all.  After reading his description about his build, it sounds and looks like he really needs it - way more than I do.  That one he has right now is terr-i-ble!   :)

No worries at all.  After reading his description about his build, it sounds and looks like he really needs it - way more than I do.  That one he has right now is terr-i-ble!   :)

Yeah, it's the best of a bad bunch, but it was better than nothing at the time. I would have been fine with a stock PT insert had I found one, and Yuki was sold out of his insert at the time, so I gambled on a few of the cheapies on eBay (Clark, Rolesy, Watchman). Lots of variation, even between the same makers. I think this one is a Clark? But even the pearl didn't match the one on a previous one that I had ordered. That's just how it goes sometimes, so I can't wait to get the Yuki to put on it. :)

Edited by Serenity

Yeah, it's the best of a bad bunch, but it was better than nothing at the time. I would have been fine with a stock PT insert had I found one, and Yuki was sold out of his insert at the time, so I gambled on a few of the cheapies on eBay (Clark, Rolesy, Watchman). Lots of variation, even between the same makers. I think this one is a Clark? But even the pearl didn't match the one on a previous one that I had ordered. That's just how it goes sometimes, so I can't wait to get the Yuki to put on it. :)

I have the stock PT on mine and I am really happy with it.  The pearl is great and the insert is the thin service replacement style numbers, so it matches up with the gen 703 that I have on it - during that "service" the crown and insert were replaced.  LOL.  I haven't aged it and I am just letting it age naturally on its own.   :)

Edited by Mendota Explorer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The insert just arrived, so here is my photo as promised!

KfS6Jvs.jpg

It's not properly set in place yet, as I still have to sand the edges just a little so it will fit better. However, even just sitting loosely on the bezel makes things look so much better.

Thanks again to Steve for being so generous! :notworthy: