When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial wont fit! MBW and Yuki

Guest REPPIN

Guest REPPIN

So, Ive never actually run into this before. 

Ive got an old school MBW Polex case....Ive had a 5512 dial in it forever. That I bought from Yuki. 

So fast forward a few years, and I wanted to change it out to a White 1680 Sub dial....bought another dial from Yuki...get it home, clip the feet, put the date-wheel back in the movement, mount it....DOESNT FIT. 

Its showing 26.5mm on the Yuki site, and the 5512 dial is showing 26mm...

Does this case not accept anything bigger than 26.0??? 

If so, does anyone know about shaving down a dial or what is involved in that...

I shave dials all the time , its easy

you have to use 2 sided automotive 3m "RED" tape

I use a small mag-lite flash light and use the tape on the end and secure the dial on the end of the flash light , make sure the backside of the dial and the end of the flash light is very clean using a q-tip dipped in alcohol, and rotate on 400 or 600 grit sand paper for a few minutes at a time ,trial fit the dial into the case as you go while its still attached to the flash light , easy peasy

blow off with canned air and your done 

Edited by watchguyusa1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is the standard MBW 1680 dial issue- the MBW 1680 dial is 26.2mm to fit in the MBW 5513 case- which is what MBW used to make the 1680 rep. 5513 dials are smaller at 26.0 - 26.2mm.

So as has been said, you can shave the dial or try to mill out the dial seat in the case a little. Take your pick. If you mill out the dial seat with a dremel it will hopefully never be seen. Shaving a dial as has been mentioned should be taken slowly to avoid messing up the dial.

As off ronin007, you'll need a different 16610 case that will take a gen dial- old style noobmariner, ST3135 case, WM9 or TC. Old style MBW cases took a 28mm or larger dial and gen 16800/16610 dials are 27.3mm.  

An older MBW won't accept a gen crystal. The first MBW to accept a gen crystal was the Euromariner from Chris at Eurotimez- that was around 2010. By swapping out a few parts, I ended up with a nice gen like 16610 bezel assembly on my Euromariner and a watch that would be comparable to a WM9 or a TC 16610.