When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modern or Vintage Dilemma

droptopman

Before I made this purchase a friend suggested that I list the gen watches I would want to own in the next few years. I also listed models I currently have and those I have had but moved on. I love this hobby and enjoy doing builds so the watches that end up on the gen list are ones that are hard to build, for example a GMT because of the case and movement, anything with a gilt dial because pad printed gilt just does not do it for me and anything with gold. The other factor was color. Too many black dialed black insert pieces...
So here was my "rational" approach.
Current pieces: 6538, 5513, 16750, 16610LV, 1016, 16014, 166233 (sold yesterday), 1002 (wifes) all modded/franken reps

Gen list:

• Birth year piece: 1966 1675 gilt dial or 5513 gilt dial "bart simpson"
  • 16803 or 16613
  • 16570 White dial

Modern options:

• 116719 BLRO "Pepsi" if Rolex ever makes this in Stainless steel that would be one modern watch I would like to try
  • 216570 White dial

In the end, I did not get my birth year piece yet, but the search continues. I still have enough in my "watch fund" to purchase that when it becomes available. I know many are not gold fans, but when I think Rolex I think of a Bond Sub and the blue tt so I can check that one off the list-again. The good thing about documenting this, is that down the road I can look and see how/if my tastes change and if the list will change as well.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.