When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modern or Vintage Dilemma

droptopman

Yep owned one fantastic piece but as with Them all They come in They go out only thing i been able to keep myself is vintage pieces pretty Much everything Else finds a new owner

B

Will keep my eyes out for your grail lot of vintage pieces In The Danish watch forums and with a good Exchange rate from us to Danish currency could be a good deal if one where to come up for you :)

I have to agree with cc33 about having one or more  modern watches in your rotation. Most of my vintage Rolex watches are not as waterproof as they were when new. I wouldn't trust my older 16750 except for washing hands, running through a rain shower, etc. You never know when those old plastic crystals will develop a stress crack or a dried up seal will let water in, just not worth the risk. My MBW base 1665 passed a 6 atmos water test on 2 different occasions, a couple of summers ago, I was wearing it and inadvertently hit it with a blast of water from a garden hose. I noticed moisture on the inside of the crystal almost immediately. Took it inside took of the back and let it dry out overnight . Put the back on, sent it to Matt. Matt discovered that the crystal had a bad crack right at the base, probably from me banging it against something. Long story short, none of my old watches gen or rep get any serious water exposure. I have a bunch of mid range gens that fill the bill nicely for beach, water sports, even scuba or snorkeling. So It's always handy to have watches that you can really trust for adverse conditions.

I also completely agree that buying new is a bad idea. Rolex makes thousands of every common model. There is as you know a very active secondary market and the prices are a lot better than new from and AD. just like buying a car, boat, airplane, etc. Let those folks who have enough money to afford a new whatever take that big depreciation hit when they sell down the line. I have no qualms about buying a gently used modern Rolex from a trusted seller on the sales forums. One or two years old with all the papers, boxes, etc. would definitely be the way I would go. And like what was said, if you keep it for 2,3 or 5 years and sell it on, you will get most if not all of your money back. 

"I have a bunch of mid range gens that fill the bill nicely for beach, water sports, even scuba or snorkeling."   ding ding ding, my old gens of any type/price point never get near water or my reps for that matter. Get yourself new diver every couple of years or so (going to buy one anyway always new cool stuff coming out) no need to break the bank plenty of micro brands that are reasonable if a bullet proof Seiko diver not good enough.

More good points. The point regarding being waterproof and for that matter tougher is one of the attractions for a modern piece. It seems like every couple of weeks I am sending a watch to Matt to be fixed and I am generally very careful with my watches.

I am die hard Rolex guy so in the end that is what it will be. I have tried some of the mid gens and while some were great watches they just didn't get wrist time.

This discussion has been very helpful and much appreciated. I have slowed my "grind" down a bit. It is only a watch after all...lol

I guess when your biggest problem is deciding which watch to get, this should not be a big deal. All I can do is laugh at myself and keep reading.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy

2 totally different watches.  

vintage has a many magical qualities.

1.  It's light and flies under the radar

2.  It's got history... boy if it could talk...

3.  perfect size and comfort for my wrist of 7 inches

4.  patina patina patina

modern has many magical qualities

1.  it's ugly

2.  it's fat

3.  it's blingy

4.  it's heavy

If it was me, I would get a rep of the 116710 and see how you like it.  

It's 90% same as crappy gen, and It's only a couple hundred bucks.  

Much harder to get get a good rep of a 1675 gilt.

Maybe in 30 years from now it will be different :) The ones that are vintage now have been new years ago and it will be the same for the current models, why not?

Awesome responses and right on point. Thank you!

Funny thing the seller of the 1675 (well known vintage seller) basically told me the same thing. Wait for the one you are really after.

I do know I would be happy with a BLNR but not done. I would still end up going for a vintage gen. If I get the vintage gen I don't see myself buying a modern one.

Part of the attraction to the BLNR is the price is so good and from a very trusted source.

The attraction to this particular 1675 even though not the grail piece is its from a seller who sells a ton of vintage pieces so my thinking was to buy this one stay on the wait list for the gilt and trade it in where the other appears...

I would just build one (franken) but GMT's are next to impossible without spending gen money. Makes no sense to spend 6k on a rep of a 10k watch. The 6538 was different because I would not spend what it takes to get a gen.

I think I need meds.

Buy the BLNR rep (http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_217&product_id=1109) and do the platinum mod, and then buy the vintage gen and that's it :)

You guys will love this...talk about changing directions. Since I could not decide on modern or vintage, I compromised with this 1999 16613, best of both worlds: lug holes and SEL. Some of you know the story, the watch that started my Rolex obsession was the 16803, so in the late 80's I bought a 16613 for a birthday present to myself. Wore frequently for almost 20 years and have always regretted selling it. So in essence, I have come full circle. This was one posted up this morning and really sings to me. Super happy about it. Should have it within a week.

post-60288-0-03485100-1438199939_thumb.j

post-60288-0-60735600-1438199956_thumb.j

post-60288-0-19535100-1438200111_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looking at my post compromise was not a good term. This model has always been one of my favorites and this particular piece is in excellent condition from a great source. Just serviced and all original except they just replaced the crystal.

Ok, funny story.  Seller and I did all the communication via email.  So I am at the bank getting ready to wire transfer the funds and I am like how do I know someone did not steal this guys email account.  I got burned bad on a watch deal a number of years ago so I am a little paranoid.  I have never had any interaction with the store....so while at the bank I called and basically said, just clarifying that this is real and you have my info that I am buying the watch and this is your payment process.  Different guy answered the phone and was a little confused at first, but quickly figured out who I was and it is all good.

Did I say I was excited, it has been almost two years since I had a gen.  Wife thinks I am NUTS!