When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ebay and Half Lies

HaydenM

I can't be the only one made a bit angry at posts like this, posts that don't technically lie but deliberately represent the product as something else so that people will make the assumption that the whole thing is OEM and worth a couple of hundred dollars when they're selling something worth only about fifty. It's already surpassed the value and with three days left will only continue to increase in cost. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331666869402?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is deliberately misleading and honestly, a tad confusing for the reader..its a classic but unscrupulous marketing method using imagery association but worded in a rather deceptive manner.

Glad to know I'm not the only one to think it. I first thought it was a complete scam as the metal keepers were not squared like the OEM but after reading it knew what they were saying. Given that I can buy the buckle from Ofrei for $42 I think somebody is going to end up paying too much.

Glad to know I'm not the only one to think it. I first thought it was a complete scam as the metal keepers were not squared like the OEM but after reading it knew what they were saying. Given that I can buy the buckle from Ofrei for $42 I think somebody is going to end up paying too much.

I read the advert and think that the description is unnecessarily convoluted, with intention to deceive.

Thank you for bringing this to light, and making us realize the extent some folks would go to for a few quick bucks. 

Can you guys enlighten me where the problem is? Did I overlook something? 

It is a gen buckle on a regular nato strap, right? What is misleading about it?

What's misleading is that he doesn't state once that the strap is non OEM and the article is written to make the reader think that the product is something that it isn't. It would not have reached the price it is at currently if people didn't think that it was the OEM strap. I can purchase a non OEM nato and the buckle from ofrei for cheaper than the current price.

It does not look like the thicker spectre strap that has squared keepers as Hayden already wrote and "Omega" printed on one of them, it´s just a regular NATO with the Omega buckle.

On the other hand Acejewelers charging 235,- Euro for the OEM Nato also is just a little bit.... expensive, to not put it in another way: https://www.acejewelers.com/en/accessories/watch-straps/omega-nato-strap-031zsz002053

This is what a 235 euro Strap from Omega looks like (great, great deal - for the selling brand, it´s a margin of almost 5.000% over material & production cost or more)

omega_nato_strap_ace_jewelers_031zsz0020

Have to agree, I read the description and found nothing misleading at all, a gen buckle on a " premium," not gen  NATO strap.

"This strap features a genuine 20mm Omega buckle, part#94512002, highly polished and signed on a premium Nato strap with polished stainless hardware and stitched seams. The strap is 11" long not including the buckle. The strap has never been worn; it is brand new with zero wrist time."

Edited by Erock1

Well here you go guys $12.50 and pick up a buckle from Ofrei.

http://natostrapsco.com/collections/all-watch-straps/products/the-classic-bond-nato-strap-w-polished-hardware

Buckle  http://www.ofrei.com/page572.html

Now 58 for buckle shipped and Nato plus shipping figure $75 all in, so guy ordered put together eating shipping and PP fees.  Maybe not such a bad deal after all depending on how high it goes for.

I'd go $90-95 just not to be bothered with getting all together ready to go and shipped quick as I am conus.