When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got a movement and dial...

Beachcomber

But I already had the movement and the dial was traded for something old I had in my drawer. Actually the dial and movement work out to about 2200 give or take a few bucks. So, not sure what one of these goes for, but I'm probably going to keep it, and am not worried about how much it costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disagree, I can always sell a Gen if need be, a 4K rep is not so easy.

by "piece by piece" i mean part by part. to buy every original part and put it together has to cost more.

what some people ask for bracelets and inserts is just crazy.

cheapest 1970s 5513 all original to the era complete watch (bracelet, b n p, serviced last year) i can find is $6800 (or $6k head only). if you come in under that, youre ahead i guess.

most times youre paying more piece by piece. thats why most people stop short of getting a gen case and rolex movement. thats where it gets out of hand

Uhhhh.yup.

100%. My gen caseback set me back several hundred dollars. Gen crown and tube, gen T-19...ugh.. Gen Rolex Cal.1520 mvmt, serviced and rebuilt using gen parts...ugh... I mean it's a great watch and all, and the last piece of the puzzle is a really bad-ass insert, but those are super expensive. Seeing what the MillerDave has avaiable.. I suppose my freak of a 5513 is probably as gen-close as you'd get, but it's still not perfect. The dial lettering, while perfect, is flat and kind of depressing.

I wonder, in the end how does assembling a 5513 from all gen parts compare in price to finding one for sale on the gen forums?

I would also say it depends on what you're building or want it to look like. Not to hijack - but here's mine - this watch if sold as genuine would fetch about $14,000 to $16,000 right now. (I have box & papers too) so having spent like $3500 bucks to build it isn't too bad considering it's almost all genuine. 

5513-finished-1.jpg

5513-finished-3.jpg

5513-finished-4.jpg

• Like 1

The last piece of the puzzle came in Friday (700 crown) getting it all boxed up and ready to ship to Mike next week. These parts can be had for a decent price but you have to look high and low, the Gen case was just freak luck and even more so that it is the same serial range as my dial! Yeah, it was costly but only several hundred more than a Phong case and this one won't need mods. I figure if I bought a Phong and had it modded it wouldn't be far from the price of a Gen. Just food for thought