When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bloody gen watches

kernow

My gen Omega Seamaster GMT has just crapped out on me. Luckily I have several reps with me, including my rep Omega Great White. Looks like another one for Micky on my return to the UK. Who says that gens are better than reps :(

Hope it's not the humidity being a diver and all that lol. I can survive a few weeks without it no problem. I know the UK is only 2 hours ahead and my maths isn't that bad.*

*normal beer disclaimer applies!

"Yeah that's the downside with mechanical watches - the service component of it is just so expensive."

Official omega repair prices (this has been posted before): 

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=7108527&rid=12189#msg_7108527

"I'm not even wearing the vintage watches now as I know its just a wallet burn if it dies...."

The saving grace for 'common' vintage watches (Benrus, Bulova, Wittnauer etc) is that you can usually buy another complete watch for not much $$ but higher grade vintage watches and parts (GP, rolex, omega, JLC etc) are now out of the ball park in price. Rolex 1520/30/60/70 movement parts prices are so high now that I parked all my genuine rolex watches along with a couple completed 'Frankensteins' and removed the genuine movements from any unfinished F-stein projects and will either stick Etas in them or sell the cases and dials. As for the left over genuine rolex movements...I will either put them in genuine cases or sell the movements later. Pizzing $$ away on these projects had to stop.

One good thing is I have gathered up some new and nos watches with swiss 28xx Etas in them so I am Ok on Etas. Otoh I have quite a few watches with DG, NN, Seagull etc movements and they are basically worthless. 

I'm not wanting to replace the movement as it's the original with the watch. Hopefully just a light service will get it running sweet again. Time will tell as for now it's on the back burner.