When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comment on MBW/MBK watches...

automatico

The few for sale may well be the last of the breed and the price is right so they will go pretty fast. I just wanted to say that they are a good buy 'as is' and the 1680/5513 case is a very close match (on the inside) to a genuine rolex 1680 except they are made for a 26.0mm dial. This info comes from the three examples I have (two 1680 and one 5513)...the 1680s are about three years old from MBK Center, actual age unknown on the 5513 but it is identical to the 1680 cases. If you leave the watch with an Eta and maybe go with a slower beat Eta 2846 etc, it is all smooth sailing. Otoh if you want to modify one for a genuine movement and genuine spec dial it would be good to know someone who can do the necessary case modifications.

I am not going to buy one as I already have too many projects but I just wanted to say this is probably the last chance to snag one. Maybe someone could do a comparison of the MBK 5512/13 and latest model from Josh. This latest cartel watch may have the best affordable case for projects after the MBW/MBK watches are no longer available.

• Like 1

OK, so if I could only get one, which one should I get? Looking to the forum gods to decide for me... Already have a 5513, a couple of 5514s, and a 1665... Should I get a 1680 to round out the collection or something different?

At least a 1680 for sure. I have a moded cartel 5513 but I ended up ordering one of each sub anyway just to have. 5512, 5513 and 1680 :D 

"OK, so if I could only get one, which one should I get?"

I agree with Umpa, the 1680 is a classic, maybe THE classic rolex submariner. I also like the simplicity of the 5512/13. The SD is great but not mainstream so it is not as popular.

When it comes to modifying one (swapping Etas or going genuine) always remember the no date models are a LOT less trouble. Etas are quick set but you have the dwo hassles and all the 1530 base genuine movements are slow set and expen$ive. If I was buying one (or two) I would stick with a swisseta movement and maybe go with a slower beat 2846. With care and maintenance any of these watches should last 20+ years.

The Golden Age of these classic watches was in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s but the Classic Appreciation Age of them is now. My guess is as the price of genuine examples keeps rising, more 'non purist' classic/vintage watch guys will turn to replicas and Frankensteins for every day wear. I guarantee there are quite a few Phong, Yuki, MBW/MBK etc higher grade vintage replicas being worn and never noticed as being replicas.

Imho MBW/MBK watches are Classic Replicas.   ;)

could this 5512 be used as an appropriate PCG base build. believe LHOOQ had a legendary PCG build based of an MBW 5512 but not sure, and my eyes aren't nearly as sensitive the cases as the experts around here

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Timing is so bad.... Just got that 6542 Pan Am off DLF so I'm spent for another 1-2 months or my wife will hang me.  I wish I could get a 1680 and a 1665 though :(  Anyone wanna be my loan shark?

Konadoc PMed me saying that he has an additional 5513 incoming to CONUS that he will be posting M2M. I'm sure there will be others if you want to play your luck. Or you could tell your wife that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and maybe sell a watch or two.

• Like 2

Konadoc PMed me saying that he has an additional 5513 incoming to CONUS that he will be posting M2M. I'm sure there will be others if you want to play your luck. Or you could tell your wife that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and maybe sell a watch or two.

..Wish I could... I overspent already on the 6542 so I gotta lay low!!

I'm sure many of these (assuming they will be delivered) will pop back up in sales section over the coming months.

Shouldn't there be tagged photos? Just sayin.

I'm glad you brought this up, last time I asked the OP for tagged pics I was accused of 'picking' on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure many of these (assuming they will be delivered) will pop back up in sales section over the coming months.

Shouldn't there be tagged photos? Just sayin.

I get what you're saying but I took it as kind of a TD sale. Rolexfinder is a 10 year member and I hope if it was an issue the mods would have said something about it. That being said, tagged pics wouldn't hurt.

Edited by UmpaHimself

What is gen dial size? 26.5? In the photos the watches look amazing. Are these the real deal mbw? I had an old polex SD GW and these look very close!

Think I'm just gonna order a 5513 and see how it turns out. Have a gen 93150 with end links on hand to throw on it. Maybe just do some basic case/CG work and leave it as is. Has anyone received one of these yet? Maybe from his last batch.

I get what you're saying but I took it as kind of a TD sale. Rolexfinder is a 10 year member and I hope if it was an issue the mods would have said something about it. That being said, tagged pics wouldn't hurt.

Did not really notice gents was busy drooling over the watches and was not concerned with Rolexfinder but the rule is the rule so I have PMed him in regard. We were talking anyway and Rolexfinder hae generously donated one of these stellar watches for our next raffle so be on the look out!

4e3a611a54e09ef842409e6f2115c70e.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm trying to compare pics with the new cartel 5512/3 I own. I don't see much differences. Fat crown, cg, thick bezel. As I don't have expert eyes, I think I'm wrong. Could an expert tell me the pros of this watch compared to new josh case ?

Not for 1680 dial If I understood correctly. And don't cartel take gen parts too ?

That is true as mentioned in prior post. Without going down a least here these cases are desirable as they are the best base for builds our board has many members that franken their watches. If you are going to just buy and wear a cartel model will be fine, but if you are looking to mod this one is worth it as one gen part you buy that doesn't work out on the cartel may cover the price difference. This is not to say you could not have a misfit w/ one of these but it does better your odds. I am sure others could site minute differences but the bottom line is better .

• Like 1

Bart little crap like this, from sales thread.

"I built an amazing 5513 a couple years ago using one of these as a base. Even has the gasket channel under retaining ring. " differences may be small but they are there.

Yes! Read it too.

you preach a convinced.

I must admit I'm trying to find some arguments to not buy this MBW 5513.