When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 DRSD BUILD - *UPDATE*

AGONZCA

Hi guys, I'm new to Vintage Rolex and I'm looking to build a 1665 DRSD base on a MBW I just bought and sourcing the other parts from the best available at the moment.

At this time I'm focus on the dial and just found this 2 I'm hoping the experts here can give me a honest opinion on this 2 I just found.

Thanks in advance for the help.

9836d44cf448d011d77a8eb145f3c751.jpg

879578b5a38eba20d2b47fb39295794a.jpg

d9cd079c3985da73be7bbc7e0b93f172.jpg

Anyone? I'd appreciate the help very much!

Agonzca if I am not mistaken the MBW 1665 has a rehaut milled for a 26mm dial.

A gen 1665 dial is 26.5. Considering this the case will have to have some work to receive the larger gen dial.

I have one of the MBW 1680 single reds on the way too and it will require the same mod.

Slay has done one in tropical parts using one of the Vietnam dials I think. Check his post for furter info on how he resolved this.

Here is the link to Slay's MBW 1680 red.

http://rwg.cc/index.php?/topic/181904-Very-Tropical-MBW-Rlx-1680-Red-Sub

23 hours ago, hugop said:

Agonzca if I am not mistaken the MBW 1665 has a rehaut milled for a 26mm dial.

A gen 1665 dial is 26.5. Considering this the case will have to have some work to receive the larger gen dial.

I have one of the MBW 1680 single reds on the way too and it will require the same mod.

Slay has done one in tropical parts using one of the Vietnam dials I think. Check his post for furter info on how he resolved this.

Here is the link to Slay's MBW 1680 red.

http://rwg.cc/index.php?/topic/181904-Very-Tropical-MBW-Rlx-1680-Red-Sub

I don't think the 1665 dial has to be milled down or the case reamed out- the MBW 1680 is really a copy of the 5513 which results in the smaller dial. The 1665 MBW is a good replica of the original 1665 so there shouldn't be any problem with the dial. 

To the OP, I'd think the first dial, the tropical one would be your best bet also.

43 minutes ago, alligoat said:

I don't think the 1665 dial has to be milled down or the case reamed out- the MBW 1680 is really a copy of the 5513 which results in the smaller dial. The 1665 MBW is a good replica of the original 1665 so there shouldn't be any problem with the dial. 

To the OP, I'd think the first dial, the tropical one would be your best bet also.

Thanks very much for the input. 
I did read that thread from Slay, but I'm happy to know this may not be the same case. 

I'd love to go franken on this build, but unfortunately a Gen DRSD it's not an option, so I'll settle for now wih the tropical shown on the pictures. However there aree other parts that I would like to franken.

I'd like to install a gen NOS T39 and a gen fat font insert, do you guys know if those would fit in the MBW case without problems? or will I need a gen bezel assembly?

Also regarding the crown, which would you suggest to be the right one

Thanks fo the help in advance.

Agonzca since I have not had any experience with the MBW 1665 I will have to bow to those who have. I agree with Alligoat re the brown dial. It will be a great build!

Alligoat it is great to know that the 1665 is gen spec in regard to the dial. I have read that the crown tube and rehaut will accept gen pieces too.

20 hours ago, panerai153 said:

The MBW will accept genuine parts, so the insert should work OK as well as the T-39.

Here is my MBW based 1665. Gen insert, Crystal, crown, hands, movement, bracelet and endlinks.

740db212f104f7229d328f4e93923967.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up @panerai153. I'm glad to know it will accept gen parts. 

Well my parts gathering it's moving forward, so far I got the tropic dial, gen matching hands, gen NOS T39... And now I've been offered this 1570 movement that I'd like to get your opinion.

To my noob eye, the DW looks a little damaged. 

1570.jpg

15702.jpg

15703.jpg

Yes, the datewheel doesn't look too good and it's not correct for the 1665. You're looking for the silver DW with the flat top three like panerai has on his 1665 and the open 6/9s. You run across them from time to time on VRF, or maybe ebay. The crown on that movement is either a 702 or a 703- both are fine for the 1665, the 702 being the earlier version. Looks like you're moving right along- this should be a nice build!

Appreciate the help guys. I wouldn't be able to be gathering my parts... 

The seller is replacing the DWO, so now it will look like this. :)

So these are my parts so fra

- Tropical MK II dial

- Gen matching hands

- Gen NOS T39

- Gen movement cal 1570

- Gen silver DWO

- Gen 703 crown and tube

Next is the insert... I've been looking for a nice fadded fat font insert, but those things are even more expensive than the movement... I was wondering if there are other alternatives I might have.... 

AmxVirJgc14-wJQGqqoBgAYPOEqx1XhHEP1ivrVBgPiN.jpg

Ataj9JV2ZnUDK0r0MwYzcmOXcZdJOqAHltZppmAZqeJA (1).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

AsQPGYVUcFz2POoJqDMYmNUz4aPzfPLIbzZwLsSiFzPC.jpg

How bad or good this thing looks to your expert eyes?

AnCHMNCLitWPU2Dk7BMVxTaJNtwLjeBYrp0okMqwgUJg.jpg

5 minutes ago, highoeyazmuhudee said:

looks like you found a date disc :good:

that insert you have looks like a yuki one

whats your budget for inserts?

I haven't reserved a budget for that, I'm trying to find a "good deal" on nice fat font faded one. Everything I've seen on VRM goes around $1200 - $1500.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, sacsah1 said:

You got a beautiful habd my friend. Can't wait for this build to be done. Learned so much from you in the process bro. Good luck!!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all your assistance in this brother. 

Pd. You have a very masculine looking hands! Lol

• Like 1