When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Gold Advice

Simo

@simo

After I typed "Gold" in RWG's most efficient Search Engine at the top of the page you're currently viewing, I found the following [previous] discussions on your question...

Push HERE for one of them...

After reading that thread...

Try the Search Engine...

Damn thing really does work...

:bleh:

TT

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime...

I just bought a full gold DJ from Andrew after my order for a pre-Daytona could not be filled. Ive looked at this watch since I first came here but have been apprehensive as I figured the gold would be totally off and the datejust does not come with a presidential bracelet. I will never wear this watch in public. Its just so Beautiful and by Andrew not having the pre-Daytona that was all the excuse i needed. Ill post some pics when i get it.

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=579

Edited by tonyp1

The general rule to apply in this case is "If you like a watch and reasonably sure you will wear often, then buy it"

My own experience: I have one gold plated replica and on the back-side of it the gold has started peeling off :yuk: so I tend to buy only SS or "white-gold" watches. That being said, some people are only impressed by gold watches.

gran :)

i have gotten my father some rose gold models that have held up very well. It seems the rose gold is a little easier to get looking accurate with color, which is why outside of rolex you will see alot of rose gold not alot of yellow gold

I haven't gotten any yellow gold yet, but i'm on the hunt for a piece :)

Unlike many of the forum members who will only buy SS due to poor quality of gold plating on reps, I like gold watches and have obtained some nice-looking pieces through some hard looking, research, asking dealers questions and trial and error (I've gotten some dogs along the way). I have a bunch of sporty SS watches, but like to have some dressy gold in my box to wear on the right occasions. I spend a lot of time in suits meeting with high-end clients, so I can pull it off, I guess.

I currently have three in my collection: the rose gold Pam 147 which is a favorite of Clive's and is the most elegant and dressy gold Panerai rep available, in my opinion; a gold secs at 6 Daytona with gold dial and brown leather deployant strap from Andrew, which I think is gorgeous and looks every bit as nice as the real deal (I've compared them side by side, although the weight obviously is an issue); and a gold Cartier Pasha power reserve from Joshua with a cordovan leather deployant strap, also a beauty, although the caseback has "stainless steel" stamped in it. Oops ...

One thing I've learned from looking around here at others' collections is that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing some of the watches treasured by others and I'm sure they would say the same about some of mine. To each his own.

Based on my experience thus far, if you like gold I think there are nice gold-plated reps to be found out there. Just understand you might have some disappointments along the way. Also, I would urge you to ask the dealers straight up: How is the gold plating on this watch? Is it thick? Will it hold up? Is the color right? Or better yet: I'm looking at gold Daytonas. Which one has the best gold plating? In my experience, our better dealers will give you straight answers and usually make recommendations to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Paul

I have owned 2 TT Subs. Neither were very convincing so I traded them. But this Navitimer two-tone was much more convincing. Perhaps because the watch was really heavy (due to 7750) and the bracelet felt sturdy.

Gold plating was very well done, and I couldn't have told it was a rep (if I wasn't such a hardcore watch nutcase). :)

I understand Breitling isn't for everyone, but it was surprisingly well done. So two-tone reps CAN be good. Plated reps of full gold watches are completely different matter.

176164-8403.jpg

176164-8404.jpg

By-tor, that Navitimer TT is gorgeous. I had been thinking of getting a TT Sub for a while about a month ago but decided against it after reading similar reviews of the gold quality. That TT Navitimer though - that looks like a suitable replacement to me!

if ruby or joshua's gold don't look good they will tell you. i have placed orders with them in the past only to receive an e-mail a couple of days later telling me the suppliers didn't have a good selection. the gold didn't look good. that is all you can ask for in my opinion. i have 2 rose gold reps that are holding up beautifully. the newest one is 6 months old and the oldest is 1 year. if i am not mistaken ruby can have your reps replated if you need.

I'm not overly keen on "gold"watches as they can look "tacky" (I own an Ingersoll in 14K gold which I probably wear once or twice a year if the "occasion" is right !). Having said that the combination of highly polished SS and gold on BTs Navitimer looks awesome !! :victory:

• 6 months later...

I have a Rolex Full-Gold President (Tony Soprano watch) that was my first rep... I bought it on September 2006 and have worn it to meetings, presentations, special occasions, etc..

The gold plating has held on surprisingly well. Unfortunately, on the back side of the bracelet and around the clasp, some black fading has begun to occur. I don't know if this is normal tarnishing that can be fixed with a good clean or if the gold is simply wearing down myself - but whatever the case may be it is hardly visible at all!

I definitely recommend Joshua's gold-plated and gold-wrapped watches. He seems to carry the cream of the crop in terms of quality.

I have a Rolex Full-Gold President (Tony Soprano watch) that was my first rep... I bought it on September 2006 and have worn it to meetings, presentations, special occasions, etc..

The gold plating has held on surprisingly well. Unfortunately, on the back side of the bracelet and around the clasp, some black fading has begun to occur. I don't know if this is normal tarnishing that can be fixed with a good clean or if the gold is simply wearing down myself - but whatever the case may be it is hardly visible at all!

I definitely recommend Joshua's gold-plated and gold-wrapped watches. He seems to carry the cream of the crop in terms of quality.

That is your very thin gold plate gone and the brass base plating or metal tarnishing from your sweat. Gold does not tarnish or oxidize. If you attempt to polish or shine it, you will polish the brass (to tarnish again very quickly) and rub off more gold. As a contrast, my wife wore a gold plated braceleted Seiko everyday for 8 years before the bracelet and case showed signs of wear. Seiko plates to 5 microns. Dealers claim 5 micron platings but that's pure BS. As a poster said, there are a few better plated fake watches out there...some better because the color is better...some better because the plating is thicker...but they are few and far between. A grounding reality check is to lay your "hey, my plated watch looks as good as the day I bought it" watch down next to a new gold plated piece and you will be amazed at how much gold your eyes and brain fill in.

Not to beat a dead horse...wrapped gold claims are absolute lies. A true gold wrap is known as gold fill. It is a thin 10K gold sheet bonded by heat and pressure to a brass substrate. That gold "wrapping" is then plated to 10 microns with a 14 or 18 karat plating. This is commonly known as 20 year gold. If anyone thinks our Asian friends are doing this....I've got some swamp land for you very cheap...

man that was very informative !!!!!! :1a: you sure know your gold man !

how much do you think our current gold eta reps would cost with the 20 year gold platting you mentioned ?

Tough to say...it.s not a home brewed process...but the technology isn't that hard....many 100 year old pocket watches are gold filled.

I would hope our replica friends would upgrade to "PVD golding" This is Physical Vapor Deposition of Titanium Nitride as the coating.....many times more abrasion resistant than gold plate (it's used as an abrasion resistance coating on tooling) and it looks just like 14 and 18K gold. Tissot, Hamilton, Baume and Mervier are among the watch manufacturers now using PVD golding. The plumbing industry has used the technology for years to plate plumbing fixtures for the bling bling bathroom crowd.

CrystalCranium,

Do you think the "14K wrap" offered by our big-timers is worth the price? Do you think it will hold on better than the "18k plated" alternative. They claim I believe 15mil in terms of wrap (yea, right)...

Reason for my asking is that I am considering purchase of a TT sub in 14K wrap, but if you say that it will float off just as crappily as the rest then I may hold off on my buy...

Any advice would be appreciated :)

C

CrystalCranium,

Do you think the "14K wrap" offered by our big-timers is worth the price? Do you think it will hold on better than the "18k plated" alternative. They claim I believe 15mil in terms of wrap (yea, right)...

Reason for my asking is that I am considering purchase of a TT sub in 14K wrap, but if you say that it will float off just as crappily as the rest then I may hold off on my buy...

Any advice would be appreciated :)

C

What you have to realize is that anything plated,...and all of these "wrapped" watches are plated, is going to fade sooner or later. There is absolutely no incentive for the replica industry in China to put any more gold on a watch than is necessary to keep you from complaining long enough to separate them from the sale far enough to be able to say..."It's not our problem anymore". As for the TT subs, they have a VERY spotty record in terms of accuracy of gold color, dial color....and weight is going to be a dead giveaway so keep it on your wrist.

Josh has a beautiful TT Jubilee bracelet Datejust with stick markers in his listings for around $560 that sports solid 18K midlinks, bezel and crown. It's probably the best value in a gold piece I've seen and it wont break the bank.