When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

White 1680...

TwoTone

Chief- You are correct... Hands are genuine. There is no doubt about that. Rolex used hands from several different sources, as they did with dials, so there may be variation from one watch to another.

A little off topic, but have you seen any variation in hands from, say, 1999 to the present? I don't think I have. Now I know, of course, we're talking vintage here....

Keep in mind the details...

1. dial

2. crown

3. crown guards

4. insert and bezel

5. lugs

Draw your own conclusions...

:)

As you already give the dial as a luminova replacement and the crown as gen (looks like twinlock to me), then my 0.02c is:-

3. CG's reworked (MBW or WM case)

4. Gen replacement pearl on a good swiss made aftermarket insert

5. and...lugs reworked to make them look aged (although like most MBW lugs they are a tad too wide.)

Oh...and either one of your new datewheels or a Luenfat one from Ebay (can't decide just looking at the number 9...now if there was a 3 in the number then that's a different matter!!! Or even a 2 in the number.)

Whatever the combination it looks good to me. :D

Come on TT... spill it out now already.

Shit BT I don't know... :lol:

That's why I have you guys...

The piece is being sold over on TZ and the guy only had this one shot of it...

Been scouting for a Gen 1680 ever since I received my MBW from Ubi...

Guess with all the feedback in this thread I better keep scouting...

Oh, and by the way...

You guys ROCK!

TT

Ahh... I thought it was your watch. :)

If that's the only sales picture I'd pass. How can you except to sell a 1680 with a picture like that? Suspicious, to say at least.

Been scouting for a Gen 1680 ever since I received my MBW from Ubi...

TT, I've been scouting as well.... But I'm more interested in a gen red dial... And I'm even more picky than you because I'm looking for one manufactured in my birth year. *sigh* I found one, but not at a price I was ready to pay: $6500. What's this one going for?

Well Two Tone, if it's at TZ, I would have to think that it's gen. The cgs look ok to me, it's just the angle of the picture. Also, the gap between the crown and the base of the case looks ok- like the old triplock crown and the tube that had no exterior o-ring (24-7020). Of course, if the RSC put in a new dial, you'd think they'd change out the crown and tube to the 24-7030 assembly. I just had that done on my 1680 and it closed the gap bet. the crown and the base of the case.The pearl doesn't look too good, so figure a new insert. And the lugs look fatter than RBJ's and mine, which I happen to be wearing today, but we all know that fitting a 1575 movement in an MBW/WM case takes some serious machining.

You might ask the guy some questions, like SN and approx date. Also, what about the bracelet- is it a 93150 w/ 580 or 593 end pieces. Early bands would be 9315. And like ebay, these guys over at TZ have references- hell some of them trade Rolexes all day long- like Ponycar 350- Jared. Also, when buying a vintage, or any used Rolex, figure in the cost of a service, because it probably needs it- it's a 30 year old watch, give or take a few years.

Datewheels are in prog... Arch has done some last minute tweaks to the file, and they will be cut (or are already cut) and will be on their way to me once complete...

:)

Can't wait, it is going to be some exciting time, once that datewheel is here!!

Well Two Tone, if it's at TZ, I would have to think that it's gen. The cgs look ok to me, it's just the angle of the picture. Also, the gap between the crown and the base of the case looks ok- like the old triplock crown and the tube that had no exterior o-ring (24-7020). Of course, if the RSC put in a new dial, you'd think they'd change out the crown and tube to the 24-7030 assembly. I just had that done on my 1680 and it closed the gap bet. the crown and the base of the case.The pearl doesn't look too good, so figure a new insert. And the lugs look fatter than RBJ's and mine, which I happen to be wearing today, but we all know that fitting a 1575 movement in an MBW/WM case takes some serious machining.

You might ask the guy some questions, like SN and approx date. Also, what about the bracelet- is it a 93150 w/ 580 or 593 end pieces. Early bands would be 9315. And like ebay, these guys over at TZ have references- hell some of them trade Rolexes all day long- like Ponycar 350- Jared. Also, when buying a vintage, or any used Rolex, figure in the cost of a service, because it probably needs it- it's a 30 year old watch, give or take a few years.

This may sound really novice, but can't TT just ask the seller to take a pic of the case with the bracelet off, and see if it says polex or rolex? or is that moddable too? just curious.

This may sound really novice, but can't TT just ask the seller to take a pic of the case with the bracelet off, and see if it says polex or rolex? or is that moddable too? just curious.

I could Woody...

But...

With all the controversy in this Thread I'm really not interested in the piece anymore...

So there'd really be no point, other than curiosity...

I'm on to the next 1680 now...

TT