When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a21j Keyless Works

jmb

I usually don't mess with a21j movements anymore as I have always had a dismal record with the keyless works.  I mistakenly took in a watch to do some work on with an A21J and wondered whether the consensus was remove stem in "set" position or "wind" position.

I've always removed the stem in the set position, and never had a problem. I was lucky with the only one I had to reset the keyless. I just 'fiddled' with the works using the small screwdriver a bit, didn't even loosen the screw for the keyless cover, and it set. I once removed the back cover. They use a 'U' shaped spring that travels at the speed of sound (I heard the sonic boom) when released never to be found again. I was facing South, so it might be somewhere in Texas. I scavenged another from a broken movement, and installed it after replacing the back cover. There is a long slot it goes through to set. I put the spring on scotch tape so I could see through to where it would slide in.  Worked great.

However,  I still recommend that to service a Chinese movement like a DG2813 or DG3804B you remove the movement from the case, remove the hands and dial.  Place the movement on your workbench.

Hit the thing with a 40 ounce ball peen hammer and sweep the mess into the garbage.

Take the brand new movement and install in reverse order. Under $50 every 5 years or so, versus a service on a Swiss movement. And just as accurate and dependable.

• Like 2

Joey, I agree.  I have lost more than one of those springs and finally decided I would only deal with ETA or ETA clones.  I remove stem in the set position, like ETA, and still bugger it up half the time.

12 hours ago, JoeyB said:

However,  I still recommend that to service a Chinese movement like a DG2813 or DG3804B you remove the movement from the case, remove the hands and dial.  Place the movement on your workbench.

Hit the thing with a 40 ounce ball peen hammer and sweep the mess into the garbage.

Beautiful, 

There is a BIG difference in '21 jewel' movements. There are all the Miyota clones and then there is the Seagull ST6D. The MIY clones are easy to spot with all the autowind guts buried down in the movement or the Sea Gull ST16 MIY clone with the 'magic lever' (you can see the magic lever 'wishbone' sticking out from under the auto works plate). Almost all of the MIY clones have tapered stems where they fit into the movement and they can be crammed in with any crown position because as long as the movement is together, the winding guts will stay in place...usually. Safest to leave it in winding position though. Catch 22...Sometimes the dial might be so close to the top plate that it will not allow the detent button to move the set lever spring far enough to turn the stem loose with the movement in the case. You are on your own when this happens. As Joey said...it's hammer time.

The ST6D (D = date) is a different can of worms. It should be called the ST666. Many times the set lever will slip by and get out of whack no matter what crown position it is in. When this happens you have to remove the autowind assembly on top of the movement and it's a b-i-t-c-h to work with first few times around because it has a little bitty cog that will fly away like the infamous click spring if there is any tension in the mainspring barrel at all. Do not ask me how I know. Then you have to remove the main spring cogs and plate, then dig down into the setting guts. Fun, Fun, Fun. The good thing is you do not see nearly as many ST6 as MIY clones. That's just about the only good thing other than the fact they are rugged and reliable when they do not have dirt and fuzz in them. The ST6 looks like a small movement with an oversize main plate and an autowind assembly bolted on the top because that's what it is...a manual wind lady size mvt with a big main plate and an autowind assembly stuck on top. Stay 6 feet away if possible unless U R a watch/witch mechanic.

I was able to "dodge a bullet" and got the stem back in! :Jumpy: Next time one of these darkens my door it will be right back in the mail to where it came from...