When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW WM, how dial is fixed to the movement

abakan

Hello my friends,

I am thinking to take the dial off the movement for realignment on my MBW, but before doing it was thinking to ask here that could prevent me from doing something stupid & damaging :)

Do you know how MBWs and WMs dials are fixed to the movement, any tips on how to better approach a removal process?

Thank a lot :victory:

Hello my friends,

I am thinking to take the dial off the movement for realignment on my MBW, but before doing it was thinking to ask here that could prevent me from doing something stupid & damaging :)

Do you know how MBWs and WMs dials are fixed to the movement, any tips on how to better approach a removal process?

Thank a lot :victory:

The dials are glued directly to the movement. I know I have just removed mine today from my MBW 1680.

Chris

The dials are glued directly to the movement. I know I have just removed mine today from my MBW 1680.

Chris

Oh my! That isn't good at all. A Glued dial on an MBW...who would have thought so? But, if you got a genuine dial, you would proabbly have to glue that also. So....

No damage to the old dial whatsoever.....none....I am amazing.....however not so amazing when it comes to the case supports to hold the movement in place as I broke 1.....gutted now I can't wear it until I replace it.

Chris

What case supports? You mean the movement clamps or the screws? Or the movement ring around the movement?

I bet if she askd for movement clamps then you'd all come runnin lol.

Chris

and you would be right. :lol:

Wish I could help, Chris. I know the feelng when a cheap tiny part keep one from completing a project.

I'm sure someone will come thru for you in short order. :)

Jet

Thanks guys for the insight.

Chris, when I broke my clamps (seems like a weak part??) I asked The Zigmeister and he sent me for cheap.

Ubi, do you mean there is a spacer ring between the dial and a movement? Is that how it came on MBW? Would you mind sharing a source of those in case I don't find one?

abakan,

If you look very closely at my Schild 2055 (the one with the white datewheel), you can see the spacer ring I'm speaking of (little ring around the edge of the movement with raised bumps):

15789-3375.jpg

The MBW's should have this ring- As should most of our reps with an ETA movement inside.

I've collected a number of these rings which I use as spares from time to time (if the need arises). They should be available from supply houses, though I am not certain of what the p/n should be.

Hope this helps.

R

I'm lucky enough to have a lathe and I cut my own "attachment rings" It's not difficult...just a little patience and filing for a good snug fit around the movement. A couple small dabs of five-minute epoxy on the ring...line up the center pinion and date window and you are good to go. I agree it's sounds goofy but it works well. It will stay secure forever but still you can pry the entire set-up apart to swap out a dial or service the movement. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ive been struggling to attach geniune dials on non orig. movements in a scure durable manner.

i ordered these dial feet from agthomas to fix my .

16179-3304.jpg

together with these stickers

16179-3305.gif

they should arrive any day now, i will post some pics of the works.

@slickdick

I'd be interested in those dial feet, too. Where did you purchase them? I am just needing two pieces/ one pair. May be you can sell me one pair? I 'd be happy for an information :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

Stay well

This sounds like the recessed pin problem all over again. The asian copies of the 6497 put the dial feet in different places so, you can't put a rep dial on a gen 6497, at least I can't. Also, since the topic is on dials, any advice on the proper way to remove a 6497 dial? Should you turn the screws only a half turn to unlock the dial feet? Or is it something you just losen up by unscrewing a number of turns?

This sounds like the recessed pin problem all over again. The asian copies of the 6497 put the dial feet in different places so, you can't put a rep dial on a gen 6497, at least I can't. Also, since the topic is on dials, any advice on the proper way to remove a 6497 dial? Should you turn the screws only a half turn to unlock the dial feet? Or is it something you just losen up by unscrewing a number of turns?

On the 6497, the dial feet screws have one side of the head cut; simply line this flat spot up with the feet/stem and it will come free.

16456-3248.jpg

16456-3249.jpg

16456-3250.jpg

On the MBW's- The reason why a genuine dial won't fit is because the genuine 1570/5 movement has the dial feet in different locations vs. the ETA's. There is nothing compatible between the two.

Ive been struggling to attach geniune dials on non orig. movements in a scure durable manner.

i ordered these dial feet from agthomas to fix my .

16562-3218.jpg

together with these stickers

16562-3219.gif

they should arrive any day now, i will post some pics of the works.

Wow, great find! Thanks for sharing--I've been having a hell of a time w/ a couple Genuine Muller dials that came w/o feet. Are these from cousin's?

I take it you glue these feet on. or do you have to solder them?

im going to use the dial stickers (3 mm round) to attach the the feet to the dial. but if that isn't gonna give me the durable feeling, i am gonna glue them. I dont think you can solder them, ihink the dial feet are plastic, but unsure, havent got it yet.

anyone can order these like i mentioned from agthomas (www.agthomas.co.uk)