When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Some Poeple Get So Much Money For Modifications?

t

You're right. I'll not buy one of your decorated movements for my Panerai. You just saved me some money!

thank you, but i am very happy that you not buy a decorated movement from me :p

why you crap me pugwash? You know me? You ever contact me?

some guys are funny... i have sell decorated valjoux 7750 for $340 here on RWG and all say to me that´s expensive. Ofrei sells same movement for $439 and all poeple say... "GREAT".... and Mr. Joshua wants $500 extra for his valjoux 7750 version watches and i never hear any criticism... but when i sell this same movement for half price... you will criticism me?

WHY?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why you crap me pugwash? You know me? You ever contact me?

No, I've never contacted you and I don't know you. I wouldn't 'crap' you even if I did. I thought I would just make a humorous comment in reply to your calling most people on this site idiots. :D

I believe people get money for modified watches simply because it saves them the cost of getting their own mods done. I can't believe we're actually discussing this.

I buy an MBW, I want to modify it (why not?) but what if it's cheaper to buy a pre-modded watch with known-good mods and it's ready today? If you were going to pay for the crown guards and a relume anyway, why not get a pre-modded watch?

Or are you basically saying we shouldn't mod our watches?

you will criticism me?

WHY?

Paranoid much? You tend to react rather aggressively to posts and this causes others to react just as sharply as you do. If I were you, I'd take the philosophical approach of interpreting each post in its best possible light before accusing people of being out to get you. If a phrase can be taken in two ways, assume the poster meant the good one. :D

Or are you basically saying we shouldn't mod our watches?

I think that is what he is saying... or rather "for the price, why do you mod your watch?"

As in return on investment is super low... you got a good ROI on the initial purchase, why decrease that significantly (ie 200% of original cost for 3% improvement)?

Pugwash

you never understand me

i know my english is poor... but it is because my french female teacher was nicer than my english teacher :D

i never call here onyone a idiot??? Please read my comments again.

This is a forum and we discuss here some topics. I have never understand why people get so much money (much more as the price of his rep) for modification, so i aks it here on my topic

Many people get me his statement, and i think now it is understandable to modify a rep

After this topic, i think different about midifications of reps.... thank all for your statements.

Edited by tourbillon1801

i am not a arrogant person. I get more than 20 PM every day from newbies with questions about watches and answer all questions. Not all poeple do this.

poeple who knows me knows it. I help everytime i can.

i never crap here anyone or told anyone a idiot or stupid or else...

we are all friends here with the same nice hobby. Some are newbies, some are veterans... some speak good english and other speak poor english (me too :D ) but we are all watch collectors.

i respect all users... and hope all user will respect me

regards

tourby

i am not a arrogant person. I get more than 20 PM every day from newbies with questions about watches and answer all questions. Not all poeple do this.

poeple who knows me knows it. I help everytime i can.

i never crap here anyone or told anyone a idiot or stupid or else...

we are all friends here with the same nice hobby. Some are newbies, some are veterans... some speak good english and other speak poor english (me too :D ) but we are all watch collectors.

i respect all users... and hope all user will respect me

regards

tourby

I cant see something bad from tourbis side...and by the way i would love for my last mod on my mbws a nice decorated caliber from tourbi!!

ps:i also like humor from Pug side....if you read many posts from Pug you can clearly see humor in them!

Here is the real question: Why gens?

Six reasons not to buy gens:

- A rep may be a rep but more importantly a watch is a watch. A decent watch (rep or gen) can last a long time. Both need servicing. The rep needs it up front but not all gens are properly serviced as new

- Any moron can do it. All it takes is money.

- In effect, buy it, wear it, so what. That is wear modding comes in. :D

- Ultimately gens break just like all watches do. Repair is 5 times as much when they do.

- The gen will typically decline 20-40% (unless you pay big bucks or are close with a large dealer such that you can get truly limited edition watches)

- That 20-40% decline in price of the gen from new to used exceeds the cost of the rep in the first place. And you haven't tied up thousands in capital. :g:

Three Reasons to Buy Gens:

- Because you can. It does feel good.

- You don't want any hassle after the fact - now where is the fun in that. ;)

- You actually have the money to buy that $100,000 watch which features the Swiss guy (maybe not Swiss) lurking over his bench making your individual movement for a year such that you have a work of art as opposed to a mass produced branded watch. Go watch the Rolex videos. They are advertising their advancements in tooling not the skills of their watchsmith. :whistling:

And this is coming from a person who has bought, given to significant others or been given gens from AP, Breguet, Breitling, Cartier, Panerai, RGM,etc.

Modding is a blast. If you enjoy the result, think of all the other ways you piss away that kind of money. And that is why I mod.:D

Here is the real question: Why gens?

Six reasons not to buy gens:

- A rep may be a rep but more importantly a watch is a watch. A decent watch (rep or gen) can last a long time. Both need servicing. The rep needs it up front but not all gens are properly serviced as new

- Any moron can do it. All it takes is money.

- In effect, buy it, wear it, so what. That is wear modding comes in. :D

- Ultimately gens break just like all watches do. Repair is 5 times as much when they do.

- The gen will typically decline 20-40% (unless you pay big bucks or are close with a large dealer such that you can get truly limited edition watches)

- That 20-40% decline in price of the gen from new to used exceeds the cost of the rep in the first place. And you haven't tied up thousands in capital. :g:

Three Reasons to Buy Gens:

- Because you can. It does feel good.

- You don't want any hassle after the fact - now where is the fun in that. ;)

- You actually have the money to buy that $100,000 watch which features the Swiss guy (maybe not Swiss) lurking over his bench making your individual movement for a year.

I see thet we have a lot in comon in our minds my friend ;) .

if you read many posts from Pug you can clearly see humor in them!

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little [censored]ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to [censored]in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?" - Tommy DeVito, Goodfellas.

I dunno.........I'm looking at the watch I'm wearing right now, with it's recessed cannon pin and poor lume.............and I could care less, and either could anyone else who sees it.

For those who strive for perfection, who cares if it's a rep. It's a hobby... Not an investment. Go for it!

I suppose that it will always be a challenge to explain doing things that have nothing to do with the finances involved.

Suppose I pay $450 for an MBW 1665 - one might argue that it makes no sense because the CN 1665 looks very similar, either way, all you have is a fake, and if you're going to mod the watch anyway . . ..

Suppose someone else pays $5000 for a boob job - one might very well argue that pumping them up with inserts doesn't make them produce more milk.

Suppose someone else buys all the paraphernalia necessary to catch and mount butterflies - one might argue that such an undertaking is a complete waste of time because there is no real market for mounted butterflies, and who wants to have dead insects decorating the walls of their home?

Then there are those characters who spend a freaking fortune buying the instruments necessary to slap a little white ball from hole to hole. What's the point? Why go to all the trouble to get the ball in one hole, just to waste a lot more time banging it over to another.

How about the gym rats who struggle for hours, lifting inert blocks of steel, only to put them down again, exactly where they were in the first place.

To me, the bottom line is, nowhere does it say that our behaviors must make objective sense -- and a good thing it is too.

If I buy an MBW, and want a genuine bezel insert, I am not going to trouble myself asking, "Why?" There are just two relevant questions, "Can I have it," and if so, "Am I willing to pay what it costs?"

And so it is with gen Tropic crystals, crown guard modifications, relume, . . . etc. If I want it, and I can have it, all I need to decide is whether or not I am willing to pay what it costs.

Now, once I've got it all fixed up, perhaps I shall find myself taken with something else - one fancy can displace another. In that case, it makes perfect sense to sell the project that no longer intrigues me, and pursue the project that does. What is the prior project worth? That's a simple answer -- whatever someone will pay for it.

To me, and just my humble opinion, the guy who spends $250 on a T-39 Superdome while there is one single thing anyone in his family needs is a total ass, and I cannot imagine why anyone would buy more than one watch while his family had other needs. That would be completely beyond my comprehension.

On the other hand, discretionary income, "fun money," the wad of cash left over after the bills are paid and needs are met, makes it possible for us to have fun. Once we have met our responsibilities, I think we can spend the rest, or burn it, without having to concern ourselves with justification.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Bill

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little [censored]ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to [censored]in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?" - Tommy DeVito, Goodfellas.

He he! Its true that some of the people in the forums(see RWI) dont understant you or they dont want to understant you Pug....but when you say something with humor i can surely understand....and btw you always actlike a gentelman on many posts negative or positive.Thats all.

The problem for others is that you are everywere...and you have deep knowlege of what is going on in the forums....so people try to understand Pug.

Regards.

$600 after mods ain't bad if you think that some people just getting into this hobby are starting on their first REP at $1000+ at rip off sites...

and as for gens... i never buy NEW, always used... even if its a few years old... you don't take the hit like buying a new one...

you can pick up a 2004 sub for 2500-3500 these days... and years from now... it will be worth the same! especially if rolex continues to raise the price of the new ones!

Edited by poopypants

To me, and just my humble opinion, the guy who spends $250 on a T-39 Superdome while there is one single thing anyone in his family needs is a total ass, and I cannot imagine why anyone would buy more than one watch while his family had other needs. That would be completely beyond my comprehension.

On the other hand, discretionary income, "fun money," the wad of cash left over after the bills are paid and needs are met, makes it possible for us to have fun. Once we have met our responsibilities, I think we can spend the rest, or burn it, without having to concern ourselves with justification.

I'm just an unemployed addict. :black_eye:

Luckily (or unluckily?) I have no wife or kids...

Guest RiverwindMDS
I suppose that it will always be a challenge to explain doing things that have nothing to do with the finances involved.

Suppose I pay $450 for an MBW 1665 - one might argue that it makes no sense because the CN 1665 looks very similar, either way, all you have is a fake, and if you're going to mod the watch anyway . . ..

Suppose someone else pays $5000 for a boob job - one might very well argue that pumping them up with inserts doesn't make them produce more milk.

Suppose someone else buys all the paraphernalia necessary to catch and mount butterflies - one might argue that such an undertaking is a complete waste of time because there is no real market for mounted butterflies, and who wants to have dead insects decorating the walls of their home?

Then there are those characters who spend a freaking fortune buying the instruments necessary to slap a little white ball from hole to hole. What's the point? Why go to all the trouble to get the ball in one hole, just to waste a lot more time banging it over to another.

How about the gym rats who struggle for hours, lifting inert blocks of steel, only to put them down again, exactly where they were in the first place.

To me, the bottom line is, nowhere does it say that our behaviors must make objective sense -- and a good thing it is too.

If I buy an MBW, and want a genuine bezel insert, I am not going to trouble myself asking, "Why?" There are just two relevant questions, "Can I have it," and if so, "Am I willing to pay what it costs?"

And so it is with gen Tropic crystals, crown guard modifications, relume, . . . etc. If I want it, and I can have it, all I need to decide is whether or not I am willing to pay what it costs.

Now, once I've got it all fixed up, perhaps I shall find myself taken with something else - one fancy can displace another. In that case, it makes perfect sense to sell the project that no longer intrigues me, and pursue the project that does. What is the prior project worth? That's a simple answer -- whatever someone will pay for it.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Bill

That is exactly what I think!!!!

Gentlemen.

Watches are toys, just like bass boats and motorcycles. People pour money on toys because it makes them smile. No further justification is necessary or warranted. Life would be unbearably austere if we only had what we truly needed.

By the way: As has been noted, toys do not qualify as investments. The fact that they are toys is reason and justification enough for their existence.

JMO

Bill.