When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Some Poeple Get So Much Money For Modifications?

t

some poeple get more money for modifications as for the whole watch

i saw asian PAM 127 1950 (price max $150) with mods for 250euro ($330) in used condition on trading zone?

last time a sub or a gmt master with mods for $450

or a swiss unitas PAM127 for $750 incl. mods and selling for $550!!!!

what is your intention?

i think a rep will be a rep... if the rep is good quality and closed to the gneuine it is nice... if not i will not work some weeks to bring it closer to genuine.

if anybody will ask you: "hey nice watch it is genuine"... you will told him: "no it´s a rep, but cannion pin fixed by repaustria, superlumed hands by finepics, jimmy fu crown guard... bla bla bla" ????

:g:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well to re-lume the watch has to be stripped down, movt removed, dial and hands removed, lume applied on hands and dial (which is very intricate work and very easy to screw up ruining the watch, then thoroughly cleaned and re-assembled. A watch smith would probably charge around £200 for the equivalent time to do something like this so I think my fees are reasonable for the work involved.

I don't think he is questioning your cost, but rather why someone would pay that much for what they get...

ie I could have my honda engine taken apart and Acura piston sleeves installed then put back together. A fair price for that work would be quite handsome... and is why I wouldn't do it... bad ROI.

I think tourb is asking why pay is it worth so much money to people to have these things done... his point of view is it's a fake, and 100% of the cost later it's still a fake... ROI...

Yeah point taken - I suppose that compared to the cost of a gen a lot of mods is still worth it if the watch is a good quality rep. All my PAM's are as close to real as can be (and all have a Swiss movt the same as the gen) so My PAM 63 which has had the full works is still only a fraction of the price of the gen.

It is nice to have bright lume. It is nice to have a watch serviced so you know it will last (like putting oil in your car engine) and it is nice to have the little details to your satisfaction.

Lets say you put $500 in to a replica to buy it and get it modded. If the gen is $5,000 you are well ahead of the game.

I really don't see what the problem is?

A better question is why buy a gen when you can have a great replica at 1/10th of the price fully serviced?

I don't think he is questioning your cost, but rather why someone would pay that much for what they get...

ie I could have my honda engine taken apart and Acura piston sleeves installed then put back together. A fair price for that work would be quite handsome... and is why I wouldn't do it... bad ROI.

I think tourb is asking why pay is it worth so much money to people to have these things done... his point of view is it's a fake, and 100% of the cost later it's still a fake... ROI...

YES

i mean... why someone pay $150 for a fake watch and pay $250 for modifications on this watch?

for this money you can get 2 or 3 of this watches or different models???

i think a replica watch is only for fun... and not to declare as genuine...

also nobody will see a different about standard rep and modified rep... a amateur will not see a difference... and a Person with watch knowledge will also see that your best modified watch is ONLY a rep and not genuine...

so what is your intentions?

Edited by tourbillon1801

It is nice to have bright lume. It is nice to have a watch serviced so you know it will last (like putting oil in your car engine) and it is nice to have the little details to your satisfaction.

Lets say you put $500 in to a replica to buy it and get it modded. If the gen is $5,000 you are well ahead of the game.

I really don't see what the problem is?

A better question is why buy a gen when you can have a great replica at 1/10th of the price fully serviced?

dear friend

yes you pay 10 time more for the genuine... but it has also 10 time more worth in used condition as the rep

buy a genuine submariner for $4000 and you can sell it in 5 years after all for $3200 or more.

but a modded $750 rep worth not $100 in 5 years.

You are talking return on INVESTMENT. This assumes it is done on as an investment, like adding a wing to your house.

The few mods I have done I chose to have done because I wanted the watch to look perfect to me; not so I could resell it later. It is just like having a $250 meal. I'll never get that money back, but I sure as hell enjoyed the steak and wine!

Hmmm... T'is a good question.

To some... Perhaps modification and enhancement of a rep watch is worth the extra cost. If a watch has genuine parts content, then that should also be taken into account. But, is the watch's intrinsic value really that much more with mods? Perhaps not. At the end of the day, a rep is still just a rep... But if the watch is modified to improve it or to correct flaws, someone may enjoy that watch just a little more and might be willing to pay a higher price for a watch that has improvements or genuine parts fitted (correctly, I might add).

So, in the end, I believe that a watch is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

some people rather pay $500 for a modded watch that looks like, and will run like a gen. its just the way it is. nothing to understand, if you dont, you dont, if its not for you, then its not for you, no big deal.

its just a good time.....either you are willing to shell out a few bucks on a fun hobby, or your not.

i dont understand women, but i keep paying money to make them happy :)

dear friend

yes you pay 10 time more for the genuine... but it has also 10 time more worth in used condition as the rep

buy a genuine submariner for $4000 and you can sell it in 5 years after all for $3200 or more.

but a modded $750 rep worth not $100 in 5 years.

your making some way out assumptions

First of all - you buy a sub for 5000

in 5 years youd be lucky to get 4000 from it

you buy a rep for 700 wit mods you sell it for 100

The sub cost you 1k the rep cost you 600 - i assume both told time

JUst like were always saying to people that nitpick - reps are about enjoyment

if you buy a 500 rep are you getting 500 of enjoyment out of it? if so - i say its worth it.

i just put a new dial fixed the canon pin and a new crystal on my 200 asian 177h - it probably cost me 300 to do that. But i am enjoying it.

i'm enjoying it MORE than the Gen Movado i bought for 500 :)

Personally I can see spending $$$ on a relume as that means your watch now works in the dar which is a big plus for me...

But other mods (like lugh hole drilling and CG shaping) I can see as questionable also...

Here's the real nitty gritty though... this argument can be extended in both directions for a lot of things, but in watches I am sure we have all come up against the argument "Why would you spend $150 on a watch even if it looks like a $10k watch when you can get a decent looking watch for $10 at walmart that tells time much more accurately, has a stopwatch and date function as well as others, is waterproof etc etc..."

My answer to why people spend $$$ on mods... because it's worth it to them.

No investment arguing, no quantifying, no cost benefit analysis... because they want to... they spent $150+ on a watch because they wanted to... they could have told time accurately for much less... so if it makes THEM happy to have a canon pin fixed or a dial aged... well then money well spent.

You can also look at it like this..

You can tell me how unimportant any detail is and how much my watch is still fake no matter what I do to it... and you know what that matters in the end? Not one bit... because if it still bothers me, it doesn't matter that it's miniscule to someone else. If I feel better about it, being fake has nothing to do with it. That's why when people tell me stuff like "99% of the people out there won't know and the other 1% will know it's fake even if you fix it" I think "And what's your point? What do I care about 100% of the people out there? I care about me. I didn't buy watches for other people, I bought it for me, and if it bothers me that's 100% of the people I care about it bothering." So if I spend money fixing whatever problem I percieve to make myself happier and satisfy the one person who really counts to me then I think that's a pretty good investment.

And yes it's an investment. I know, I know, investments appreciate, liabilties depreciate. Well let me ask you, how much is happiness worth? To me it's worth infinitely lots... so if I spend $10, $100, $1000 and I get happy from the results didn't my investment just appreciate infinitely?

Let me ask this: What better use of your money could you think of than to make yourself happy?

I can think of none...

I spend money on a regular basis on frivolous stuff that others don't understand or even berate me for... who am I impressing? Me. Can I logically explain to you why it makes me happy? Maybe, maybe not. And you konw what? It's still worth every penny :)

some people rather pay $500 for a modded watch that looks like, and will run like a gen. its just the way it is. nothing to understand, if you dont, you dont, if its not for you, then its not for you, no big deal.

Zactly! If you don't want to pay to mod or service your watch then don't pay to mod or service your watch. If you don't like what's on TV, then change the channel or turn it off. If you don't like ketchup, then don't eat ketchup.

Me? I like my watches with nice bright super luminova. I like them to be properly serviced and keeping good time. I like to watch mixed martial arts on TV. And I like ketchup and Tobasco on my scrambled eggs. To each his own.

so what is your intentions?

Another shot of Tequila, to be precise. Precision. That's what mods are about. And the satisfaction that precision brings, or at least the satisfaction that striving for precision brings.

For me, one of the pleasing aspects of my gens are the thought of some grim-faced Teutonic craftsman hunched over them making sure everything is precisely how it should be. When I look at my reps I certainly picture grim faced people hunched hunched over them, their grimness more likely a result of sub-standard working conditions than their determination to make sure everything is precisely how it should be. Modding allows us all to be grim faced Teutonic craftsmen without having to be grimfaced or Teutonic, or, in my case, a craftsman. In other words, it gives us the satisfaction that comes with the knowledge that we or one of our pals has cleverly and skilfully come up with a way to make our shlocked together watches into the products of real detail orientation, or more precisely, of the determination to make things as precise as possible.

Nobody is deluding themselves (I hope) that their reps will suddenly become "real" or that a WIS wouldn't notice any remaining flaws in 1.3 seconds. Modding is all about...modding.

hey guys

thank you for all your opinions

but... come on friends

ANYONE of you... (maybe :bleh: ) do all this mods... to saying: YES it is genuine.. or will that other people think it is genuine if they look on your wrist???

NOT ANY???

realy???

fight fight fight fight!

haha....i guess Tourb is trying to question people who do sell their watches after modification.

I mean, if i was to mod a watch so heavily, it will most likely be with me for a very very long time. Some of the members sell their heavily modded watches after 2 months - that i can understand to be questionable....but then again, whatever floats your boat right?

fight fight fight fight!

haha....i guess Tourb is trying to question people who do sell their watches after modification.

I mean, if i was to mod a watch so heavily, it will most likely be with me for a very very long time. Some of the members sell their heavily modded watches after 2 months - that i can understand to be questionable....but then again, whatever floats your boat right?

good point :victory:

I haven't paid to have any mods done to my admittedly small collection of reps, but I see why people do it.

I look at my watches, both rep and gen, as watches first and collector pieces 2nd. I buy watches because i like them, not because i care what people think about what I'm wearing. That being said I will admit a part of me loves it when i get comments on my watch.

Modding watches is a way to get more enjoyment out of something the wearer sees all the time and will give him satisfaction in something that performs/looks good. I certainly don't see it as any sort of investment.

Just my .02

hey guys

thank you for all your opinions

but... come on friends

ANYONE of you... (maybe :bleh: ) do all this mods... to saying: YES it is genuine.. or will that other people think it is genuine if they look on your wrist???

NOT ANY???

realy???

no one is going to give a [censored] about my canon pin or my swissmade touching the 6.

Those mods are 100% for me!!!

I would do mods if I knew how to do it myself and it really improved the look of the watch, but to pay hundreds of dollars to someone else to do it on a $200 watch that is fake no matter what you mod on it? NEVER :yucky: