When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

dont you hate the watch snobs on the gen forums?

tyrantblade

Not hate here...I just have pity on them.

Most of them don't know their sh!t...they just bought an expensive watch and just feel like they're the big spender now.

Those on the gen fora that really know what they have won't act like this...most of them are here anyways ;)

• Like 3

Most of them only have 1 or 2 pieces. They feel like they are successful as they've spent several thousand $$$ and that they can look down on others WIS. I just laugh at them as do others; we know better :)

Not hate here...I just have pity on them.

Most of them don't know their sh!t...they just bought an expensive watch and just feel like they're the big spender now.

Those on the gen fora that really know what they have won't act like this...most of them are here anyways

Couldn't have put it better myself. It's pity rather then hate.

And your 100%, I have seen members here really correct some snobs over there. A big percentage on the gen forums just spend big and give it the biggen, Here we build watches, and love watches, the knowledge of certain members here is genuinely remarkable.

I have problems with some of the snobs on RWF (Rolex forum). I have little money for luxuries but I love Rolex watches (really only the 34mm sizes), so I buy gen parts and rebuild them. They are only for me and I wouldn't try to sell them as factory gens (even though they have all gen parts) yet some of these folks try to say that they are either franken watches or fake just because the factory didn't assemble them. In some cases these people get very belligerant and nasty about it.

Some of my Rolexes have aftermarket straps which causes these people to go apoplectic. I figure it's my watch so I can do what I want with it. Hell, if Rolex prices were within reason I would buy factory made ones, but when a Rolex that in 1972 cost $550 now costs over $10K I will assemble my own. 

Snobs suck in anyh forum!

• Like 1

I have been on internet watch forums for 20+ years (not many watch forums around at first) and have seen some of the current rolex forum 'Gurus' starting out green as grass from their Day 1. A few have smarted up, many have not, and most have disappeared. There were not many 'watch snobs' back then because other posters would not allow it but things are different now and watch snobs are everywhere. After they brag about their watch for a month or two, they start bragging about their Lexus, BMW etc, then the vacation spots they have visited...anything to get another pat on the head. Imho these Peckerheads are made out of low grade recycled plastic...the type used in the super thin plastic water bottles that collapse after the water is gone.

I remember a guy on TZ that came on about 15 years ago who was smokin' hot for rolex. He was in love. I shot a few barbs at him and he always came back. Turned out he was a good guy, wised up and now sticks barbs in the current crop of rolex worshippers on various forums.

As for replica forums, the first one I posted on was RWCC, next TRC, then RWG.   I remember Freddy333's first post on TRC...   :) 

I have problems with some of the snobs on RWF (Rolex forum).

I get a laugh out of those characters. They are perfect rolex snobs. I have it listed as 'rolex idiot forum' on my favorites.

• Like 1

I saw a lot of that in Hawaii.  One evening I was getting ready for diving the next day, and noticed the Frosty Flake's caseback was loose.  So I went walkabout to the Rolex and Tourneau shops to see if they had a watchmaker to snug it down.  Neither one did but the sales people couldn't get enough of the 'Flake.  Most of them didn't even understand my preference for "4 digit" models until I started listing them... 6536, 6538, 1665, 1675, 9401 and they got out a catalog to look them up.  They had heard of these strange "domed" crystals but only one guy had ever seen one.  Some guy came in with his sleeves rolled up flashing his Daytona around, and couldn't get the time of day from the sales staff as long as they were passing the Frosty Flake between them. 

Dr. Martin Luther King almost had it right.... we should judge people by the content of their character, not the thickness of their wallet.

Money can be taken from you, but your character is yours for life.

• Like 2

Yeah, it does always seem to be Rolex freaks, like i get the designs are nice (according to seemingly almost everyone), and its nice that the whole watch is in house, as opposed to getting a movement from someone else and making it better

But i find the prices are too high for what you get, theres way too many homages, and their size definitions are decades outdated

All in all, just not a brand worth 3x what you may have to pay for an established Swiss watch brand making quality watches (even if they aren't made 100% in house)

Now if Rolex had real modern size watches and wasn't 3x what they should cost, id probably have a lot more love for them

"it's nice that the whole watch is in house"

'In house' is mostly true today but back when they made the old 1030/1530/3035, early 3135 etc the movements were made by Aegler, a separate outfit but they only made movements for RWC. They 'out housed' the escapements (Nivarox), main springs (General Ressorts), some cases (CRS), case finishing (Joli Poli and Virex), crowns (Boninchi), dials (Beyeler, Lemrich, Singer etc), bracelets (Gay Frères), hands (Fiedler), crystals (Stettler Saphir) etc, etc.  Sorta like Invicta does now...Ha!   :pimp:

CRS stands for Charles René Spillmann...this company was exstablished in La Chaux de Fonds (CH) at the begining of last century and made cases and buckles for Rolex and other brands. CRS still exists under another name.

H Stern dials...the family behind Cadrans Stern did buy PP in the 1930s. However they decided about a decade later to dispose of their dial business.
So the company that made the COMEX & Rail Dials was no longer related to PP.
Stern remained in the dial business until the 1980s, when they sold the company to another dial maker.
Stern dials are easily distinguished by the 5 pointed star on the back of the dial (Stern is German for 'star').