When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what movement is this?

cavi

I have a rolex explorer 1 that I bought a year or so ago but I am having issues with the movement so I sent it to my local repair guy and he is in doubt of what movement it is.  I thought if would have been a 2813 or 21j.  I want to buy the correct movement so it will fit right and so the hands will fit.  Also I see a couple of myotas on ebay that say they are replacements for the 2813, would they accept the hands I currently have?

dario2.jpg

dario1.jpg

so which one of those two will work to replace it?

Ok, does this mean that there might even be parts for this watch and it could be fixed or am I still better off buying a new movement?  If I go the route of a new movement I see a couple of genuine non asians in the 250 to 300 range, is it worth spending that much over 72 for a hong kong one?

So I read up a bit and apparently the 2836 and 24 are basically the same except for the 2836 has day/date function? vs only day?  But it also says that the stem height is different on the two, so How do I know which one I have?  Will a picture of the movement from the front help?

a picture of the case showing the crown height will determine which movement you have but I am betting that you have a 2836-2 clone in there which means you can replace it with another. The 2824 clones are in slim cases with the crown height closer to the dial side

"If your watch guy doesn't know that it's an eta or an eta clone, you probably ought to get a better watch guy!"

Maybe.  Watch guys who work 'in the trenches' (fools like me for example) are far more likely to see an etaclone than a traditional old school watch mechanic.  My 'watch guy' friend works on vintage RR grade PW, Vacheron, AP, LeCoultre, Longines, Omega, Gruen, rolex etc (rolex only if you are a friend or relative) and has never seen an etaclone but I told him about them.  I doubt he has seen an eta 28xx for years except maybe in a Tooter, Mido Commander etc.  (I threw in Mido Commander because I have one)   

Many high line repair guys have probably never seen an etaclone, A7750 or Asian 21 jewel.  

Lucky them.   :pimp:

• Like 1