When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a joke ???

themannier

The amount of fake aged bezel inserts, fake blueberry inserts, fake small GMT hands is really annoying!

I've been collecting vintage Rolex sports models since approximately 1990 and I've NEVER seen a blueberry GMT, nor did anyone ever talk about it whatsoever. Perhaps there were a few genuine ones but in all honesty, zero of them were out in the wild. FAKE! Well, more like 99.9999999999% fake!!!

And those all red GMT hands? Hummmmm, yeah right. Maybe a couple dozen TOPS were OEM! Remember folks, they made a ton of GMT-1's and it had a very long run-time as well.

My rant is more directed towards the fakesters and swindlers who have messed with the pricing of parts and watches. They have created false value, and ruined the pricing on OEM vintage parts forever.

• Like 2

On 2017-06-08 at 3:56 AM, eunomians said:

The amount of fake aged bezel inserts, fake blueberry inserts, fake small GMT hands is really annoying!

I've been collecting vintage Rolex sports models since approximately 1990 and I've NEVER seen a blueberry GMT, nor did anyone ever talk about it whatsoever. Perhaps there were a few genuine ones but in all honesty, zero of them were out in the wild. FAKE! Well, more like 99.9999999999% fake!!!

And those all red GMT hands? Hummmmm, yeah right. Maybe a couple dozen TOPS were OEM! Remember folks, they made a ton of GMT-1's and it had a very long run-time as well.

My rant is more directed towards the fakesters and swindlers who have messed with the pricing of parts and watches. They have created false value, and ruined the pricing on OEM vintage parts forever.

Hallelujah brother! The flippers and make-an-extra-buck'ers have removed all the genuine interest and turned every broken down, completely wrecked watch part into "if I call it vintage and it has a Rolex-logo, hey, I could make 500€"

• Like 1

I've said it before, but I would much rather have a well made honest fake than a genuine of dubious provenance that is probably at best assembled from a selection of parts and may well have fake parts that I'm pay genuine prices for.

Anyone ever wondered how many times a Phong case changes hands before it is genuine?

" I've been collecting vintage Rolex sports models since approximately 1990 and I've NEVER seen a blueberry GMT, nor did anyone ever talk about it whatsoever. Perhaps there were a few genuine ones but in all honesty, zero of them were out in the wild. FAKE! Well, more like 99.9999999999% fake!!!"

I started in 1972 and have never seen one either.  Been to a lot of watch shows too. 

"The amount of fake aged bezel inserts, fake blueberry inserts, fake small GMT hands is really annoying!"

Bleach job inserts:  I have an original 1675 with the naturally faded bezel insert but with all the bleach jobs floating around I would have a hard time proving it is original.  It's funny in a way:  me...a repwatch guy crying about replica parts making their original parts worth a bit less.  Ha!

Btw, concerning vintage hands and dials...I bought a GMC-320 Geiger counter and can not tell tritium dials/hands from Luminova with it...and that's why I bought it.  Read up about it and evidently the small amount and type of radiation emitted by tritium does not register on this counter.  I have a shadow box on the wall above my work area with old character and 'dollar' watches in it and my 'Tip Top Jr' wristwatch with radium dial and hands really set it off.  The display immediately went red with a printed warning across the display and the ticker sounded like a popcorn popper.  I moved the shadow box across the room. 

The Geiger counter needs to be closer than about 18 inches to go off big time...not that close to it where I work but it has been hanging there 15 or 20 years.  :huh:

Here is what it looks like:  eBay item number  192162361358

Btw, concerning vintage hands and dials...I bought a GMC-320 Geiger counter and can not tell tritium dials/hands from Luminova with it...and that's why I bought it.  Read up about it and evidently the small amount and type of radiation emitted by tritium does not register on this counter.  I have a shadow box on the wall above my work area with old character and 'dollar' watches in it and my 'Tip Top Jr' wristwatch with radium dial and hands really set it off.  The display immediately went red with a printed warning across the display and the ticker sounded like a popcorn popper.  I moved the shadow box across the room. 
The Geiger counter needs to be closer than about 18 inches to go off big time...not that close to it where I work but it has been hanging there 15 or 20 years.  :huh:
Here is what it looks like:  eBay item number  192162361358

Interesting! I've been think about picking one up lately...

I've got some radium watches that I wear but I wonder if I shouldn't!

35a31c26e36a479310cfd6798a389612.jpg

Rolex had a mysterious undocumented past with what is and isn't, I know three people who still work on the bench in their late 50's, with boxes of old parts some of the stuff I've Never seen before, just because I hadn't seen it previously I can't presume it's not real and rare. 

Like green gmt inserts for example.

IMG_0802.PNG

Rolex had a mysterious undocumented past with what is and isn't, I know three people who still work on the bench in their late 50's, with boxes of old parts some of the stuff I've Never seen before, just because I hadn't seen it previously I can't presume it's not real and rare.  Like green gmt inserts for example.

IMG_0802.PNG.5dc6ce8fc6f49668736e61925096733f.PNG

This is somewhat true but it's stretching the truth most of the time... The anecdotes about Rolex using up caches of outdated parts is always interesting. At least it was back in 1991 when I bought a 1016 for $850!

In any event, I'll corroborate your alibi

This GMT of mine is all original (black insert was added later by me). It's 1 to 2 years too late to have had a small GMT hand... But it does. How do I know the provenance and authenticity? My grandfather bought it new in 1966. The guy never serviced it until it became mine. Crazy. But so yes, there are oddballs but again, 99.99999% of the oddballs are fake as hell!

734659edb3f35e78b51e12493665209f.jpg

Was just saying, not to it pick but some would say using the term 'original' then immediately stating that you swapped the bezel out is a faux pas, people on vrf, rwg, etc,  have all different ideals and presumptions and especially convenient truths, but sure I get it and you're points.

Was just saying, not to it pick but some would say using the term 'original' then immediately stating that you swapped the bezel out is a faux pas, people on vrf, rwg, etc,  have all different ideals and presumptions and especially convenient truths, but sure I get it and you're points.

Absolutely agree!

Your mentioning of parts bins brought up some neat memories from 30 years ago... Lotsa discussions with Rolex Beverly Hills Service Center, etc. The parts bins were real for sure. All in all it's a fun sport but it has changed significantly in the last few years due to the pranksters and fakesters. Buyer beware. And folks, pick up a vintage sports model before they really get ridiculous pricewise.
  • Like 1

Yes indeed ...it's quite a slippery slope, especially when prices are soaring and everyone wants a good deal, many people get duped!

one of the guys I know is on the bench all day, he doesn't have time to mess about online or neither want to, I helped him set up a new computer for his accounts, and showed him auctions of 5k Pepsi bezels and he was totally muddled, but then said "if this continues I'm retiring early" 

"But so yes, there are oddballs but again, 99.99999% of the oddballs are fake as hell!"

Agree.

I have seen an olive green GMT bezel for sale somewhere but can not remember where.  WSO has 'green green' bezel inserts but no olive green.

Here is one closer to olive green:

http://www.timebymail.com/bezel-insert-for-rolex-gmt-master-ii-watch-dial-replacement-part-2962-p.asp

Fascinating about the inserts fetching stupid prices.

Remind me why I sold this pointed guard 1675 with the original insert installed! I was younger and consequently more naive. Faded fat pepsis were everywhere for $25-$50 tops.

In any event, this was the nicest Pepsi insert I've ever owned... Sorry for the poor quality pic. It's an oldie.

4420ad0c3b4d6c6b88592e547ad2f75e.jpg

PS. In retrospect, I shoulda kept this pointed guard watch too -- my reasoning in selling was that I already own my grandfather's 1675, so a second one made no sense. In any event, I did purchase this with some of the funds:

636ec1e2348c6ef9e9c27b18df2313e6.jpg

I put this fat fonts insert in my Frosty Flake just because it matches the dial so well... I take it swimming and biking and climbing, and now I have to rethink that.  As valuable as the insert alone is getting, the watch will wind up losing its "beater" status!

IMG_4099.jpg

• Like 1

I put this fat fonts insert in my Frosty Flake just because it matches the dial so well... I take it swimming and biking and climbing, and now I have to rethink that.  As valuable as the insert alone is getting, the watch will wind up losing its "beater" status!

IMG_4099.thumb.jpg.e0791932b3ff7375a3bfe657f89b422c.jpg

Lovely watch! And insert too!

Despite being pressure-tested, I don't think I could take my 1675 or Sub swimming. I have back in the 90s often but not anymore.

I have to admit the Nastymariner gets in our ocean regularly with the glacial silt and all. But even as ugly as it is, I'm using the MBW red Sub more and more for that stuff. It's no fun when your dive watches can't get wet anymore.