When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Exploding Watch!

jonas

As some of you may have read I bought myself a beautiful PAM127 from a respected dealer here on the board. Got it just over a week ago, did som mod to the strap, and was very happy. This sunday morning I needed something to cheer myself up so I picked it out of the watchbox.

Well I sit on the toilet doing what people do there... And then; PIINNGGGG!!!! The watch litteraly explodes, glassfragments going everywhere, even in the underwear! I found glass more than 5 feet away. :blink:

182694-6804.jpg

I did not believe my eyes, and are still kind of :o

Has any of you fellow members expirienced something like it? I have worn this watch on two occations, trying to make it shrink into my wrist. A big baby for sure. I have never lost it or something. It looked in perfect shape until this incident....

Will contact my dealer to see what he says, but wanted to share this hoping to hear how you would have dealt with this.

Rgds Jonas

Before the action started:

182694-6805.jpg

UNfortunately this has hapened more than once- particularly with the mineral glass versions. If you can still get sapphire from davidsen, it will fix your watch and prevent it from happening again.

-O

The dealer stated that it was Curved Sapphire with light AR... This is the version with Swiss 6497, so it was not the cheapest one either, will wait to hear from my dealer, he is a good guy.

POM! That would scare the, well, you know what out of me....!

Were you doing any high pitched singing, or had you eaten any particularly spicy foods? :g:

Yepp, both actually are true. Have done them separatly before without explosions... it may be the combination that took it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The good news is that you didn't get any pieces of glass in your eye. That was a close call, and you should definitely stay away from that time-piece in the future. Clearly the engineering was wrong and physics gave in, resulting in something that could potentially be extremely dangerous.

The good news is that you didn't get any pieces of glass in your eye. That was a close call, and you should definitely stay away from that time-piece in the future. Clearly the engineering was wrong and physics gave in, resulting in something that could potentially be extremely dangerous.

Yepp, definitly consider it to be a close call. I have found out now that this is pretty common with the 127 and some other PAMs too.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;hl=explosion

But changing the glass would not solve this problem alone, am I right? This can happen again anytime, and in that case wearing this watch would not be the same... Do anyone of the educated guys in here have a more permanent solution to the problem, other than throwing the watch in the garbage of course?

Davidsen's sapphire crystal is a bit thicker ( think 2,5mm same as the gen instead of 1,5-2mm so it should be stronger ) than the "average" rep crystal and if installed correctly should be safe.

Have not heard about any from him that have broken or exploded.

i have heard Chamberpot explored itself in my country and hurt the user badly.but the watch was explored itself ..i never heard that.........you are lucky................ :unsure:

post-4058-1168793595_thumb.jpg

That "explosion" happened on my 212, too. And I am owning a "best-off" 127 version which was promised a sapphire crystal version and came with a lousy mineral crystal which scratches within two days. I got a beautiful new crystal from davidsen but I am still watching out for a spare crystal to get my 212 fixed. Probably another member could help me?

Hi fxrandy

Who has done the repair? Did you change to the same or thicker glass?

Got a davidsen saphire for it but it is a touch to small, but the repair man says he has sorted it i will ask him if he is taking more work. By the way what is the serial number on your 127, was it 0581 by any chance?

Got a davidsen saphire for it but it is a touch to small, but the repair man says he has sorted it i will ask him if he is taking more work. By the way what is the serial number on your 127, was it 0581 by any chance?

Yepp, 0581 it was. Where do you and your repair man live?

Hmmm a PAM127 is something I wanted for a while... maybe I should strike this list of PAMs I was going to get.

The list was:

PAM127

PAM187 with ETA 7753

PAM176H

That would have completed my collection of PAMs.

I bought a 127 from Josh and the same thing happened, albeit in my watch box..

I shipped it back to him for a crystal replacement.. it was the mineral crystal version or as his website says 'synthetic sapphire'

I got it back.. wore it plenty.. and a short while later scratched the crystal pretty deep on a brass door [censored].. for shame..

Ah well..

-Kaneda

As some of you may have read I bought myself a beautiful PAM127 from a respected dealer here on the board. Got it just over a week ago, did som mod to the strap, and was very happy. This sunday morning I needed something to cheer myself up so I picked it out of the watchbox.

Well I sit on the toilet doing what people do there... And then; PIINNGGGG!!!! The watch litteraly explodes, glassfragments going everywhere, even in the underwear! I found glass more than 5 feet away. :blink:

I did not believe my eyes, and are still kind of :o

Has any of you fellow members expirienced something like it? I have worn this watch on two occations, trying to make it shrink into my wrist. A big baby for sure. I have never lost it or something. It looked in perfect shape until this incident....

Will contact my dealer to see what he says, but wanted to share this hoping to hear how you would have dealt with this.

Rgds Jonas

Before the action started:

Exploding crystal: the crystal factory has switched to a much cheaper material. I had this happen to me about 2 months back, posted in the "repair" forum, and at that time no one had ever heard of this happening. Now it's a common occurance.

Ok, PAM-PAM-PING all around the world now... well that's not good :huh:

Spoke to Davidsen and he can provide a new and apparently better one, but will this fit? And do average watchsmiths have these kind of tools needed for replacing the glass, or must I now send the broken baby away :g: ? Questions, questions...

Any help will be appreciated, hate to see this broken beauty in my watchbox.

Jonas