When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you remove power from 2824-2?

RickFlorida

Question

Hello everyone,

I'm going to attempt to repair my keyless works on a 2824-2 and with friendly help and the power of youtube, I think I know the steps to fix the keyless works except for removing the power from the main spring.

I'm assuming you are not supposed to just let the watch wind down but you have to actually do something to remove or stop power from spring before working on keyless works?   My oscillating weight is removed but I think there is still power in there as soon as you touch or move the movement.  I don't know all part names or numbers so a link to a video would be great if you have it.

Thank you.

11 answers to this question

6 hours ago, RickFlorida said:

Hello everyone,

I'm going to attempt to repair my keyless works on a 2824-2 and with friendly help and the power of youtube, I think I know the steps to fix the keyless works except for removing the power from the main spring.

I'm assuming you are not supposed to just let the watch wind down but you have to actually do something to remove or stop power from spring before working on keyless works?   My oscillating weight is removed but I think there is still power in there as soon as you touch or move the movement.  I don't know all part names or numbers so a link to a video would be great if you have it.

Thank you.

• Like 1

You don't have the let the power down to repair the keyless works.

Movement out, hands and dial off. Away you go.

Top Tip: release tension from any part before removing the screw that secures it. You can loosen screws just a little to assist with this. 

• Like 1

This is what makes this place great. guys with experience showing the noobs the tricks of the trade.  Hats off to RickFlorida for trying, I attempted to fix the keyless works on a rep many years ago, and wound up with a table top full of bent parts, a screwdriver embedded in my palm, and little bitty tiny screws, so infuriatingly small that you want to just SMASH them, bouncing noisily across my floor.... heard but never again seen.   :cc_detective:

Some hands are made for doing this stuff.  Other hands are made for axes, winches and chainsaws.  Respect to the guys that have the patience and the talent to tear one of these movements apart, reassemble it, and have it actually WORK.  Huge respect.

:notworthy:

12 hours ago, ceejay said:

You don't have the let the power down to repair the keyless works.

Movement out, hands and dial off. Away you go.

Top Tip: release tension from any part before removing the screw that secures it. You can loosen screws just a little to assist with this. 

Thank you but I don’t want to remove the dial and hands so I need the other method.   Thank you guys as I did get enough answers from all of you.

Guest keeper

I once asked my watchmaker if she could release my tension.....it ended satisfactorily....................................no tension.

Edited by keeper

Guest keeper
On 7/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, capice said:

Another “amazing” contribution...😭 Sure you are on the right forum? You sound like a 15 year old 

You sound like you know your subject...