When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Costeau Diver & Superlume

deltatahoe

How much does the superlume matter to you?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How would it affect my purchasing decision?

• If it is a 1:1 quality replica (similar to BCE & HBB), I will buy it regardless of superlume
    • Superlume would push me over the edge and make me buy this watch
    • If it doesn't have it, I won't buy it
    • I'm not interested in this watch at all
  2. 2. How much extra would you be willing to pay for superlume?

• $0-$25
    • $25-$50
    • $50-$75
    • $75-$100
    • $100+

Given we're in the chinese new years waiting period :cry: , and this model is due to be released in the months following chinese new year, I figured it might be a good time to start a discussion about the superlume on this particular model. Hopefully if enough people express their opinion that getting the superlume right on this watch is important to them (potentially important enough to influence the decision on whether or not to buy this watch), then Angus will work with us as he has in the past to make it happen. I've pasted a picture below of the watch and also the lume (thanks sailboat641) on a genuine aquatimer; it is (in my opinion) a pretty unique and important part of this line of watches.

picture of watch

202328-1365.jpg

picture of superlume

202328-1366.jpg

What do yall think? How important is superlume to you on this watch?

deltatahoe

Depend on how important it is to you if you wake up often at night. Of course I thought that's why we had clocks on our bedside tables. Or, I guess it matters if you are out often at night in places where it would show up. Not to be on the other side of this, but, I don't care, mainly because even the good ones fad after a while. However, if it doesn't have a Swiss movement inside then I will pass it over, just like I'll pass over the HBB.

Given we're in the chinese new years waiting period :cry: , and this model is due to be released in the months following chinese new year, I figured it might be a good time to start a discussion about the superlume on this particular model. Hopefully if enough people express their opinion that getting the superlume right on this watch is important to them (potentially important enough to influence the decision on whether or not to buy this watch), then Angus will work with us as he has in the past to make it happen. I've pasted a picture below of the watch and also the lume (thanks sailboat641) on a genuine aquatimer; it is (in my opinion) a pretty unique and important part of this line of watches.

What do yall think? How important is superlume to you on this watch?

deltatahoe

I don't care, mainly because even the good ones fad after a while

not sure if i'm interpreting your statement correctly, but real superlume doesn't "wear off" over time (meaning you won't ever need to re-apply the lume).

if you mean that the luminosity decreases after being in the dark for a period of time, while this is true, you can still tell a meaningful difference between superlume and rep lume (not sure if you've ever compared the two -- such as a panerai w/ superlume and one without). in the dark you WILL be able to see the lumed surfaces (even several hours later) with superlume, whereas you won't be able to see the lumed surfaces (eg. hands / markers) at all with rep lume.

deltatahoe

I stand corrected. Thanks for the education. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

not sure if i'm interpreting your statement correctly, but real superlume doesn't "wear off" over time (meaning you won't ever need to re-apply the lume).

if you mean that the luminosity decreases after being in the dark for a period of time, while this is true, you can still tell a meaningful difference between superlume and rep lume (not sure if you've ever compared the two -- such as a panerai w/ superlume and one without). in the dark you WILL be able to see the lumed surfaces (even several hours later) with superlume, whereas you won't be able to see the lumed surfaces (eg. hands / markers) at all with rep lume.

deltatahoe

It will be nice to see this with superlume ...... though I think what we say ...... counts little.

We all know that CHN rep makers are deaf to our wishes.

..... and dont worry about the price. With superlume or not , when this watch comes out (around March), .... it will be expensive .... so control your excitment.

It will be nice to see this with superlume ...... though I think what we say ...... counts little.

..... and dont worry about the price. With superlume or not , when this watch comes out (around March), .... it will be expensive .... so control your excitment.

Whats most important to me is 1:1 rep

2nd most important is cost - I dont wanna spend $600 USD on a rep (I know the gen of this watch is worth liek 10-15k but still I am more willing to part with $200-250 than 600)

Really? How do you explain all of the improvements to the HBB and BCE that the members here have contributed to? Angus in particular (who is the connection to the factory creating the Costeau Diver in question) has involved the forums in creating some of the most accurate replicas to date, using members' feedback to help correct issues and/or mistakes in the prototype versions.

What do others think? Can we make a difference in the quality of replicas we see today?

Deltatahoe

For me Superlume is not important at all.

Most of my time I am always in very well illuminated places (naturally or electrically), and can see perfectly the dial, so I am very few concerned about this.

In fact, I am trying to recall when I have ever been concerned about superlume when buying any of my genuines... and it was NEVER. :D

In fact, I am trying to recall when I have ever been concerned about superlume when buying any of my genuines... and it was NEVER. :D

For me... it has been always :whistling: Different strokes...

I would be happy to pay an extra 50-100 for gen SL... it just finishes the watch off IMO.

For me... it has been always :whistling: Different strokes...

I would be happy to pay an extra 50-100 for gen SL... it just finishes the watch off IMO.

Superlume for me too. As above, i would be willing to pay for that - as close to gen as possible is what i want otherwise i'll get something else.

This would be awesome with correct lume - such an important part of the whole experience for these watches.

Played with the gen in local dealer (no 600/2500) - retail £3450 here - amazing watch. Looks unique on the wrist believe me. And I usually wear a gen Big Pilot so I'm used to BIG/unusual watches!

With a Swiss movement and good lume, I'd pay big bucks for one of these.

Hilts

• 4 weeks later...