When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Purchase, A Red Sub...

Omega

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my eyes it's a good replica.

I'm not sure as I'm no vintage expert but I at least see several flaws:

- Drunken X

- The spikes of the Rolex Crown are too Long, Crown should be thicker with shorter spikes.

- Wrong Datefont (closed 6), with the "T" from OFICIALLY being directly underneath the "ON" in CHRONOMETER it tells me that the watch is from 70s-72s, means definetly OPEN sixes. A closed 6 watch would have the "T" in OFICIALLY being more right, means not unter "ON" but just directly unter the "N" in CHRONOMETER.

- Too small date magnification

- ROLEX text misaligned, too far right, shold start slightly BEFORE the E in Oyster (Misalingment results because the spaces between the letters are too small)

- Second Hand too large, covers the Uppercorner of the R in Rolex, should cover ONLY the bottom corner.

- Huge flaw is the Hour hand. In your pictures the mercedes spikes perfectly meet in the center and looking like a mercedes sign.

In this particular model the spikes should be a tad misaligned to they do not meet in the center. Actually One spike should run into his neighbor, but not touch the other one. (should look asymmetric)

Edited by FlipLockBuckle

The bracelet is Genuine I can tell that.

I think there is not many replies because members are tired of Rolex Rep or Gen.

I have a MBW 1680, With some mods (Gen Crystal, Gen Spring bars, Gen Dial, Gen Crown, CG modded) I do not wear the watch anymore. I am wearing my 45mm PO and my Tag link Chrono.

I wish I could get more genuine part for my sub, it probably will motivate me to wear the watch.

Nice looking watch you have there. Congrats

...as for the other parts ...i see:

Gen bezel

gen insert

gen tube

gen crown

and a pic af a gen to compare:

208706-4.jpg

You can't compare a 1680 with white Text to the Red Subs. And even the sed subs differ fom one to the other.

At least concerning the dial...there are the 600/200 and the 200/600 ones, and then there has been a big change from yr 72 to yr 73...The font got thicker, the Rolex Crown was changed, Change from Open to Closed 6es ... just to mention some examples.

Edited by FlipLockBuckle

A few things to look at-

-Crown is genuine, as is the tube- 24-702 and 7020.

-Bezel is genuine

-Insert is genuine

-Dial is genuine

-Crystal is genuine

-Bracelet is a genuine 93150

Genuine datewheel for a 1570 has the 6 in '26' with a closed loop. All others are open...

208724-17131.jpg

Draw your own conclusions... I have my mind made up :)

Randy

I would say that if this is a modded rep... It's 1) taken a lot of genuine parts out of circulation :lol: and 2) cost far more than any 'sane' individual would spend on modding a rep to actually build.

Consider that the dial, crown/tube and insert purchased a la carte could buy 6 or 7 complete, brand new MBW's... Now factor in the other parts like the 93150, etc. and the initial buy in.... Do the math and ask yourself if you would logically spend that kind of money on a rep...

I say gen. If it's a rep, then I am VERY impressed!