When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

High School Graduation Gift

yepme

My niece is graduating from HS soon. She is keen toward my Yachmaster rep, and I'd like to get her a rep as a gift.

Anyone have any experience with reps with "diamonds"? I'd like to get her something lady like, and am leaning towards THIS ONE but am unsure if it will hold up to the "abuse" of a teenager. Will she end up knocking out the little diamonds?

As a rookie, I would value your feedback on this as a gift for a young lady.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts and recommendations of alternatives if you think there are better options available.

Cheers.

Thanks Ethan, that is a great looking watch!

The kid would not appreciate it though (the GF would :D )

She has no knowledge of fine timepieces other than the Rolex name, so I have to stick with a rep in that brand.

Your post most likely just cost me more money though ... I better get one for the GF too.

I also think about J12 first.

In the gen section around $1500 try Bvlgari.

But... the best is your daugther is tall and self confident would be... a submariner, or a Luminor Marina (40mm). These fits outgoing ladies per-fec-tly. Very trendy. Of course you need to consider the "it's a rep!" issue in the case of the sub, for the pam it should be ok.

no question get the 200 j12 no diamonds

great watch. sporty and formal. quartz so no winding issues. its the wife's daily beater. who hasnt heard of chanel and its just different and cool enough ti be great no mattr what the brand.

everyone who sees it wants it even if they dont know anything about watches

A+ rep

I'd also say Chanel J12 with no diamonds. I got my fiance one for christmas from a dealer who deals in more 'low end' reps. they're a great person to do business with, 100% reliable, but, the watches themselves are hardly the best quality reps. I'm planning on getting her another more accurate J12 as the bracelet on this one is coated moulded links, not individual ceramic. However. She has the frustrating habit of not wearing a watch on a regular basis. Nothing to do with the quality of the watch, just what she's like as a person...

To get back on track.

Do not get your neice that Rolex. As mentioned above, people would rag her constantly about it and accuse her of wearing a rep, and that would detract from her enjoyment of it as a gift. She might not know many watch brands, but I can't imagine any woman not knowing about Chanel.

A J12 with no diamonds would be a much more suitable gift as it would be much more understated and elegant. Maybe even one it black rather than whte...

HS Graduation would be a perfect occasion for a genuine watch. You can pick up a ladies' constellation for around $1,000. Nice to have something that will last a lifetime. If that is out of the budget, I would just get her the blinged out rollie, she'll enjoy it and there are many young girls in south florida with genuine $20,000+ watches so if you are in the right neighborhood most people won't ask about the authenticity. But then again, I get every woman I know a blinged out rollie. :lol:

I'd say Chanel J12 also Josh has a nice box set for under $200 that can't be beat, also burberry, the wife has one that also came with a killer box set. I think she might be too young for the rolex. The others would suit her more and maybe handle the abuse an 18 year old can dish out better.

HS Graduation would be a perfect occasion for a genuine watch. You can pick up a ladies' constellation for around $1,000. Nice to have something that will last a lifetime. If that is out of the budget, I would just get her the blinged out rollie, she'll enjoy it and there are many young girls in south florida with genuine $20,000+ watches so if you are in the right neighborhood most people won't ask about the authenticity. But then again, I get every woman I know a blinged out rollie. :lol:

I have to agree. If you can, a reasonably priced gen would be a much better tribute to her graduation than an extravagant looking rep.

But if you do get her a rep, be sure to tell her that is what she is getting, because if you do not and she is called out, then that would be very, very bad.

My parents gave me a beautiful brushed gold Omega Geneve Dynamic, which I really wish I still had. But I got rid of it after I let the movement rust out. Today the same watch with the same dial is at the top of my wish list, but apparently it was a rather rare dial, so I will probably "settle" for my father's Geneve Dynamic with a brushed stainless case and the most common dial for this watch. The plus is that it will have been my father's watch, when he decides to hand it down.

Sometimes watches are more than watches, and graduation is one of those times.

I'm glad I asked, your points on the Rolex and the "its a rep" crys are well taken and have steered me away from a Rolex rep for her.

A gen is out of budget ... her mom (my sis)is disabled and father has nothing to do with her, so she is stuck with me. I got her scuba diving trained/certified when she was 10 ... and plan on taking her on a another dive trip and she wants to join me skydiving. I'd rather drop the bucks on experiences and memories that will last a lifetime vs. a gen watch.

Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations ... I'm out shopping around now, and will narrow down my lisk and ask for your opinions.

Thanks again!

Cheers.

Just another quick thought... If she likes your Yachtmaster, why not give her that, and use the money to get yourself something new? You sound very close, so I'm sure she would appreciate that more than another watch given as a gift, and, even if it was to get called out as a rep, it wouldn't detract from it's sentimental value, as it would still be 'your' watch...

I'm glad I asked, your points on the Rolex and the "its a rep" crys are well taken and have steered me away from a Rolex rep for her.

A gen is out of budget ... her mom (my sis)is disabled and father has nothing to do with her, so she is stuck with me. I got her scuba diving trained/certified when she was 10 ... and plan on taking her on a another dive trip and she wants to join me skydiving. I'd rather drop the bucks on experiences and memories that will last a lifetime vs. a gen watch.

Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations ... I'm out shopping around now, and will narrow down my lisk and ask for your opinions.

Thanks again!

Cheers.

She is fortunate to have an uncle like you. Best of luck.

About a two years ago I bought a used genuine Cartier quartz Santos, but it was midsized and too small. I bought it for like $600 on eBay and ploished it up and resold it for about $800.. Point is you can get the smaller Cartier quartz ones relatively cheap used and get it ploished up.. Cartier is no small fashon statement. Of course, the ladies Cartier quartz Santos reps are about the closest you find to the real thing.

I got her scuba diving trained/certified when she was 10 ... and plan on taking her on a another dive trip

Get her a Seiko diver she can wear on her trip. Sure, it's not so lady-like, but it plays up to her sporty side and says more about her than a bit of wristbling. :D

Oh, and it'll last, too.