When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all omega PO fans and dealers , warning !

rbj69

i have no name to say right now cause im pretty sure the dealer didnt know but it could be happening to all dealers , this new ultimate PO 45mm that is said to have a eta 2824 may in fact be a chinese copy eta , i have gotten one in recently for a relume and noticed it because i was asked to check and make sure it is swiss eta for my customer and i did and ouch, no eta and it fooled me ,,,because it looks and run just like a eta 2824 , parts look identical, finish is nice like eta (i actually feel it may be using eta parts ) but it is not stamped eta , so i felt it was my duty to our beloved forum and my friends to be aware of this and make sure u get what u pay for , and to our wonderful dealers, i think u should make sure on this particular watch before advertising it is eta swiss , maybe your suppliers r not telling u the truth

thanks

joe

edited :

i got many request how to tell so i decided to do a little pictorial for my fellow watchaholics, lol just remember if someone flames me on being a little behind on there watches then u have to take up for me and say he was busy helping us from getting scammed , lmao (in other words i need someone to have my back, roflmao)

ok the first pics is of the imposter and i wrote things in the pics so u can see where to look and what to look for

216610-15465.jpg

second is of the real swiss eta 2824 , now u can see the stampings im referring to

(this pic came out smaller for some macro reasons compared to the imposters pic but u can see it good enough i believe , meaybe i zoomed too much or something)

216610-15466.jpg

this is a pic of the imposter from another angle and some scenarios i believe

216610-15467.jpg

and another picture of the real swiss eta so u can see there is not much of a difference , scary huh?

216610-15468.jpg

and i know it could be parts from sw company as well, but the main thing is that my customer was sent a picture of a eta swiss 2824 and paid top dollar and go this one , just keep that in mind ok

i hope this was helpful to u guys

joe

I was just kidding, thought you prefer only positive threads. (P.S. this was before I read your reply on the other thread).

ah ah, well my goal wasn't "hey pls confirm I have the right eta or I'll start a fight with my dealer"... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And, Richard, yes we all prefer positive threads...aren't we ?

You do, I'm sure :victory:

yes i said it has some sw traits but then i look further and dont think it is a 100% of either sw or eta , which i am familiar with sw using eta parts and so on , it is like a imposter cross breed of some sort, lol mainly i think it will be a fine movment and not give much problems , but the key here is my customer paid for a eta swiss 2824 for i beleive he said just over 250 usd and got this , also i would like others that have this watch tell us what is in theres and who it came from then we could narrow down if it is just this one time deal or if it could be a treand and so on

joe

Damn...I was ready to pull the trigger on the Ultimate ETA Version (pay a little more to get the ETA version than the "lite" version). If this is true, hopefully not, is there then a reason to buy the full version over the lite version?

Thanks for the heads up Joe.

I will check mine this weekend and report back to you guys.......wait, wait, should we just shout out who sold me the watch in here (have eta or not) or we should contact the dealer first?

btw......can we invite the dealers here to give us some sort of response?

who <----- keep his finger corss

I think like this about this issue. This forum is set up for the purpose of echanging vital information about reps among us. Isnt it very interesting to know if the watch claimed to have an ETA really does? I think it one of the more basic type of info I want before I buy a watch. Therefore I cannot see any reason not informing the forum exact facts, dealer, when, responces etc and then each of us can draw our own conclusions. I dont see any point hiding information from each other at this forum.

Of course no one wants to read bad news, but for me it depends on the reason for the lack of bad news. The wonderful part would of course be there are no bad event to talk about. The bad part would be that people dont inform each other and we all do the same mistake believing we are buying an ETA but instead it is something else.

I will check mine this weekend and report back to you guys.......wait, wait, should we just shout out who sold me the watch in here (have eta or not) or we should contact the dealer first?

btw......can we invite the dealers here to give us some sort of response?

who <----- keep his finger corss

actually if yours has a eta then the dealer would appreciate u telling who u got it from and im sure the dealer would like to know if his supplier is sending these out instead so it doesnt become a problem

joe

I think like this about this issue. This forum is set up for the purpose of echanging vital information about reps among us. Isnt it very interesting to know if the watch claimed to have an ETA really does? I think it one of the more basic type of info I want before I buy a watch. Therefore I cannot see any reason not informing the forum exact facts, dealer, when, responces etc and then each of us can draw our own conclusions. I dont see any point hiding information from each other at this forum.

Of course no one wants to read bad news, but for me it depends on the reason for the lack of bad news. The wonderful part would of course be there are no bad event to talk about. The bad part would be that people dont inform each other and we all do the same mistake believing we are buying an ETA but instead it is something else.

Don't get me wrong, I always support we should inform each others on any finding, whether good or bad. I'm sorry if my words gave you a different impression :wounded1:

I was told by a watch maker I know that ETA sometimes have "backdoor" stock, basically QC cast offs that have the ETA model and logo machined off and are then sold "out the back door" .. Could be an explination for what looks like a damn good copy! Seems strange to copy the 28xx model as its rather cheap.

This is not a copy of an ETA anything, this is a totally different movement, no parts are compatible with the ETA (at least not the ones I tested).

I have been seeing this movement for a long time in our reps (first noted it a year ago) and have serviced a number of them, as well as informed the owners of what was inside, it's a good movement, nice fit and finish, and works great. I dont' see any issue with this particular movement, none I have serviced have been returned for warranty. If memory serves me, the SW200 has been discussed before.

If you look closely, you can spot the giveaway on it, whereas the ETA uses pins on the bridges that fit into cooresponding holes in the mainplate, the SW uses holes on the bridges that fit into pins on the mainplate. Without any markings, you can immediatly see that it's not an ETA.

It's not an "Imposter" but a high quality Swiss made alternative to the ETA's. Certainly not a show stopper if I got a watch with this inside, and most likely an error from the dealer, after all, it looks the same as the ETA, so does the "AR" stamped movements I see all the time as well...there are many variants out there...

RG

Good information. I saw this movement in some dealer pics about a month ago. Can't remember which listing though. I think it was over at RWI.

Anyone know if the hands are the same size as the 2824? Also are the winding stems the same? Could be a relatively inexpensive and simple movement swap couldn't it?

:victory: