When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can't decide on next rep (wife threatening divorce)

montydog

Hello,

This is now starting to get out of hand. I've spent the last week spending several hours a day researching and investigating and dithering over my next rep. I thought I'd decided on the Breitling Chono Evolution white face/stick markers/leather strap and almost ordered it. But I've decided it's too big and brash for me so I now have a shortlist of three fairly similar watches. If I don't decide soon, her indoors is going to lose it big time.(Excuse the pun!)

Here we go, which do I go for? (All have the Asian 7750 valjoux 28800 bph movement, similar price and from Josh)

IWC Spitfire

221098-14429.jpg

Tag Carrera

221098-14430.jpg

Montblanc Timewalker

221098-14431.jpg

I have the IWC and it's fairly straight-forward. It's basically a simple small case wrapped around a 7750 and I'm actually finding it difficult to fault.

Ok, no AR. That's its fault. It'd be a better watch with AR.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Pugwashand39s-Iw...iew-t18844.html

Yes, I like it, but I like the Carrera too, just not with those cartoony red hands. The later model, as worn in Crank, is better. Black with silver-ringed subdials.

I've got the Carrera with silver hands and the Montblanc with Silver face and its very hard to choose between the two - they both are fantastic reps.

If I had to choose, I guess the Carrera just nips it, because its far less chunky and can be worn as an everyday beater if that's what you want. But yeah, silver hands all the way...

I've got the Carrera with silver hands and the Montblanc with Silver face and its very hard to choose between the two - they both are fantastic reps.

If I had to choose, I guess the Carrera just nips it, because its far less chunky and can be worn as an everyday beater if that's what you want. But yeah, silver hands all the way...

Yes, I would prefer the model with the silver hands but I can't find a dealer who supplies it with a strap. I don't like bracelets and would not buy a watch with one. Thanks for the input.

Just got the TAG Carrera. The pictures don't do it justice. Beautiful watch. The only problem I see is with the strap. I think the watch looks better with the strap, even though most of my watches are on bracelets.....but, the strap doesn't bend straight down from the lugs, so it will fit a larger wrist much better. Because of the depth of the case, there is a gap between the strap and wrist. (my 7 inch wrists). Other than that, I really like the watch.

If this is a choice between watch and wife, we will need to see some additional hi-res photos in order to give advice.

Only the watches have been posted so far.

Carl

The Mont Blanc is the best looking by far since it looks like it's been designed more recently than 1970, it has the most non watch-geek brand cachet if that kind of thing is important to you, and it's a fairly good bargain, but unless you're going to spring for an ETA 7753 the date gap is going to be a problem. The IWC Pilot's chrono reccomended above would be the best rep, though. The Tag just doesn't do it for me since it doesn't represent a hug savings over the gen like most high end reps do...I like to keep the total cost of a rep and mods about 1/6th of the lowest cost of a gen.

I suppose you've splashed a bit on in your time Pugs?

Sean K

I was lucky enough not to have been suckered into paying for stink, but yes, every boy of a certain age in the 70s was guaranteed a Hai Karate pack from a relative that didn't know better. :D