When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch rental

section8

http://watchmywrist.com/component/option,c...tpage/Itemid,1/

It's a site that allows you to rent a watch for a week or so I guess. I'd prefer to own my watches, but I guess everyone is different.

I CAN however see this as a great way for someone to get their hands on a genuine to model for a rep for a fraction of the cost :o

http://watchmywrist.com/component/option,c...tpage/Itemid,1/

It's a site that allows you to rent a watch for a week or so I guess. I'd prefer to own my watches, but I guess everyone is different.

I CAN however see this as a great way for someone to get their hands on a genuine to model for a rep for a fraction of the cost :o

It's an interesting business idea and I can see the market for it...but not for me. I can see myself renting a Corvette convertable on vacation for a week to cruise around in but ....not a watch. Smells too much like a "lookie what I've got loser" rent a personality game.

I first heard about this from my wife who is a marketing professor (I'm an economics professor) with regard to renting very high end hand bags. The idea was that styles change so often that women might prefer to rent rather than own, even if the rental charge was substantial. Renting a watch, on the other hand, makes less sense as styles change much more slowly. My wife and I are contemplating doing some research on the replica market and discussed this rental idea in that context.

It's an interesting business idea and I can see the market for it...but not for me. I can see myself renting a Corvette convertable on vacation for a week to cruise around in but ....not a watch. Smells too much like a "lookie what I've got loser" rent a personality game.

Hey that's what we are doing :p

Yea, took a quick look at some of the "rentable" watches. Not even close to the range I would consider if I ever did. Standard Omega Seamaster on their home page. Several other watches that may already be standard Replicas.

I'd want to get my hands/wrist on a Monaco V4 or a J.P.Journe Minute Repeater. Something that I could pull apart, video tape and re-build (LOL) ;)

Same thing if I ever rent an exotic car. It's gonna be an all-out experience. Bring on a Veyron or MacF1.

I think you are better off buying a rep.

I don't understand the economics of it though for high end watches. They say normal wear and tear is expected. I am so careful with my gens because I know every scratch wacks off a chunk of value on the watch. I am careful because I own the thing though. If I didn't own it, it is just like a rent renting your house. They seldom care what happens to it.

/Tim

Ya know, I must march to a different drummer than most of you guys, but I find myself once again hearing a different beat.

My answer would be, "No, I would not have rented a watch before I got involved with reps, but now that I have, I certainly see why someone should.

Think about it - how many reps have you bought that ultimnately wound up collecting dust? I have bought so many watches that I thought I would like, only to find that they just get no wrist time, I couldn't even begin to count them.

In fact, if there were no such thing as reps, renting a prospective purchase seems like the only rational option.

For example, there are no "rep" cars. To me, it would make perfect sense to rent a car for a week if I was planning to buy one like it.

Better to spend a few bucks to wear a watch for a week than to spend a few thousand on a watch that you'l only wear for a week.

Bill

In fact, if there were no such thing as reps, renting a prospective purchase seems like the only rational option.

For example, there are no "rep" cars. To me, it would make perfect sense to rent a car for a week if I was planning to buy one like it.

Better to spend a few bucks to wear a watch for a week than to spend a few thousand on a watch that you'l only wear for a week.

Bill

rep cars, huh? hmmmm.....

I suggested this once to ThomasNG with a few of his high end gens... mostly in jest.

But I think their prices are ridiculous. You can rent a $20,000 car for around $300 a week, or even less in some locations or with deals.

And I won't even touch on their selection. You would have to pay me to wear some of those things.

There was a place a few years ago (probably still exists) that would rent you a Rolex by the day.. but you had to leave a credit card security to the retail value of the watch. Pretty much all the renters kept the watches after having them for a day or so.. and paid full retail price in the process. Quite a good sales model really!!

Zenith Extreme @ $402.50 per week, let's see times that by 52 weeks in the year and we have $20,930................hey I'm in the wrong business :o

Ken

Ken,

That was the watch I was just checking out, pretty cool looking. I wonder if it's worth $400+ a week? :) I don't even wear any of my watches for a week straight, they are on a daily rotation, so that thing would only be worn once maybe twice in that week. ;)

Maybe they will have this service for women next? :whistling:

Haven't they had that service for, like, 5000 years?

If they had anything decent (notice that reps exist of almost all of those watches?), I'd rent one and take it down to the CNC shop, maybe.