When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please take some time to review this watch.

Stephane

This rep stuff is still kind of new to me and at times I find the comments quite humorous at times. The only people who judge a watch this harshly are rep. fans (or a jeweler if your trying to sell a watch). I've had 5 gen Rolex watches in the past and usually put an after market band on them right off the bat. Did anybody know? Heck no. I bought a 60s vintage Oyster Perpetual once (an Air King more or less) with a riveted band. Couldn't stand how chessy the band felt and put a replacement Seiko oyster on it (with the gen clasp, solid links with pressed pins) and nobody ever knew the difference or questioned the band.

The fact that everyone here picks over a rep. so hard proves that if you want to buy a genuine and have any questions about it, ask a rep. fan, not a Rolex fan. You guys know your stuff. 99.9% of the public never notices the stuff you guys talk about.

Personally when I look at a Noob, the first thing I see is the crooked "S" and the bad spacing on "Submariner". It's obvious because it's crooked. The "L" on the "perfect" is passable to me. It varies on some models a little anyway. I really don't think anyone would notice it. There for my vote is for this watch over a Noob anyday. And after my dealings with reps I really don't care for asian movements in most cases. Save up and get an ETA!

Edited by predfan2001

• 1 year later...

I also wonder why this got bumped from the archives.

But anyway... looking back this thread now, my reply was brutally honest and perhaps even rude. But then again, that's what RWG has always been about: Brutally honest reviews and no sugar coating... and the opinions were asked.

Wonder what Stephane would say about this watch now... after all the experience he has gained from gen, franken and rep Rolexes since the initial post. :D

Sorry Stephane, but I will not pay that much for that watch. Really?? you paid that much for this sub? The most obvious for me has been mentioned.

Too conical rehaut

"L" in ROLEX

Mag position

WOW,,Really?? That much? I have a $108 BeginMariner that look better than this one.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. If only your comment came BEFORE Stephane's you might not look like such a clod. Start reading those emails advertising male member enhancement- if they actually work, you might be a bit more tolerable for the rest of us.

And I read the whole thread to be aware of the age of it after you guys commented.:lol:

that's why I didn't understand how Stephane couldn't destroy the experiment subject.:clap:

I guess those were $500 well spent... for the RWG Clear Sales Foundation.

Thanks Stephane.

C.

Neither did I Shadow,

When she broke the silence on the source, I said "NO WAY." I must have looked at TT's "Ultimate" sub photos 20x's compared them with others, and then to see the PEARL on that watch, I honestly thought it must have come from another source.

I tell you no lie, just when you think you are ready to pull the trigger based on what? photos? Someone who has purchased presents the exact opposite of what you hoped you would get.

@By-Tor

You asked why so few people have commented... I always try refrain from posting negative comments to threads where people are enthusiastic about their new watch. Sorry mate.

Despite the "brutal" honesty of the flaws in the watch you mentioned, I really appreciate that (and it's not even my thread). I have done some reading here.

You seem to have one of the most balanced and tempered opinions (just finished reading Rolex vs ETA).

I am dumbfounded as to the source though. A picture really does speak a thousand words.

Thankfully, not a thousand dollars.

Oh my god !!! :shock:

Well, what a long way to get to know all these subs.

That is what RWG is all about: maturity in the hobby.

Thinking about how good the WM9/new MBK is these days, the only comment it inspires me is that the reps are way better than they used to be.

Oh, and also: one never stops to gain knowledge :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

Stephane

It's interesting to take a look back and observe the progression/evolution of such subjects like a modern 16610; funny to think that there are so many variations of the same watch, which, for 2 decades has gone largely unchanged (speaking in terms of the gen), and to then consider how long it's taken to get the rep even close to on the right track.

Also a bit interesting to see how popular the Submariner is... To know that even with countless renderings of the same watch, the factories still view it as profitable to continue redesigning and reproducing the same basic Sub.

All is said about the flaws I think.

I'm a bit late ;)

Good example that high price is not even a good watch :)

Thanks for sharing Steph.

Now we are at the point that we can get them more accurate

with gen Bezel assembly etc.

Curious that it had take so much time to get better Subs.

But hey we all know that there are a lot of crappy Subs on the market ;)