When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick Funny Story at AD today

fotoman

so, i took the car in for an oil change and while i was screwing around waiting i headed into a local jewelry store that carries rolex cartier i was wearing my BCE. anyway i was dressed like a total scrub, from the gym basketball shorts, tshirt, baseball hat - ipod headset. I was sporting the maui jim's though

anyway, i walk around just to check things out - the lady takes one quick glance at the watch - Hi, can i get you something to try on? Would you like a beverage, some coke, or coffee?

:)

I tried on a 2 tone sub - they are heavier than i thought :)

anyway made me chuckle. I be if anyone else was in the store they would have said - HUH? oh, :)

just a quick fun story. Its nice to be treated nice, even when you dress like a bumb - or as i like to consider it - comfortably

Heck, isn't Jimmy Buffett a billionaire by now -- and doesn't he live down in your neighborhood, southern Florida?

Actually, I'd wager you clean up rather nicely if given the occasion (as would I, though I generally try to avoid an excess of those occasions).

I would love to give this a go but we seriously lack AD's in my part of the world, I would have to go to town 40kms away to find an AD, in fact were I live it hard to find a Jewelers that has mechanical watches.

Ken

so, i took the car in for an oil change and while i was screwing around waiting i headed into a local jewelry store that carries rolex cartier i was wearing my BCE. anyway i was dressed like a total scrub, from the gym basketball shorts, tshirt, baseball hat - ipod headset. I was sporting the maui jim's though

anyway, i walk around just to check things out - the lady takes one quick glance at the watch - Hi, can i get you something to try on? Would you like a beverage, some coke, or coffee?

anyway made me chuckle. I be if anyone else was in the store they would have said - HUH? oh, :)

just a quick fun story. Its nice to be treated nice, even when you dress like a bumb - or as i like to consider it - comfortably

Do you watch the show Curb Your Enthusiasm? In one of the episodes, Larry David goes to a jewelry store to buy a bracelet for his wife, but he is wearing his "gym clothes." (he looked like [censored]) When he walks up to the door of the jewelry store, the woman working there notices what he is wearing and immediately locks the door thinking he is a street bum :lol:

kinda the opposite situation of yours :)

Was it Mayor's? They treat you real well then rape you on the price. Same thing happens at the srtip clubs when you wear a nice watch. Gotta love south Florida. :lol:

DING DING DING - Mayors! :) but how many Rolex AD's are there in the mall :)

Re: The weight. I only have a newb mariner, i have a mbw on the way -Achem Achem - i said ON THE WAY :) well, those amoung you know what i mean - anyway, i'll compare it then, but it was signifigantly heavier than my newbmariner - now, the gold mid links i'm sure have some effect. But i took off my bce and noticed the weight, so what does that tell ya :)

Was it Mayor's? They treat you real well then rape you on the price. Same thing happens at the srtip clubs when you wear a nice watch. Gotta love south Florida. :lol:

The Mayor's around here are the same way! However, most of the sales people that I have encountered there knew very little detail about the watches they sell and couldn't spot a rep if you hit them between the eyes with it. :bleh:

My story relates to a night I was at the mall and walked by the store that sells Rolex, Breitling, Tag, and one or two other high brands. The company carries Panerai but not at this particular store. I was wearing my rep Pam 029 and dressed like a complete bum. I was looking at the glass display case windows that you can see from the mall, I wasn't even in the store. A salesperson saw the Pam on my wrist and actually came out into the mall to ask if he could help me. I'm betting that better dressed but with no Pam and he wouldn't have given me the time of day.

It is funny how it all changes with a great watch. I was just in Maui and went to the Shops of Wailea. My girlfriend and I were wearing gens and looking in the windows from outside (a ton of Rolex, one base Panerai, etc.). We had a sales rep jump us outside. I don't even know how he knew but I have to give him credit for being on top of things. It was total Rolex heaven ( more daytonas then I have ever seen in one place) but nothing else great.

I think it is cool that they know their craft.

Cheers,

CM

Do you watch the show Curb Your Enthusiasm? In one of the episodes, Larry David goes to a jewelry store to buy a bracelet for his wife, but he is wearing his "gym clothes." (he looked like [censored]) When he walks up to the door of the jewelry store, the woman working there notices what he is wearing and immediately locks the door thinking he is a street bum :lol:

kinda the opposite situation of yours :)

my favorite show! love that episode :victory:

i'm thinkin' i need to test that hypothesis. Find out what rep best impresses the strippers??
Gold Rolex masterpiece full diamond bezel and MOP diamond dial. Looks quite shiny under the dim lights. Attracts srtippers like a moth to a flame. :whistling:

Re: The weight. I only have a newb mariner, i have a mbw on the way -Achem Achem - i said ON THE WAY well, those amoung you know what i mean - anyway, i'll compare it then, but it was signifigantly heavier than my newbmariner - now, the gold mid links i'm sure have some effect. But i took off my bce and noticed the weight, so what does that tell ya

I have had several of the older TT subs before the SEL and there is a significant weight difference to the new ones. Rolex has increased the weight of all their models containing gold. The new presidents are also quite a bit heavier than the old ones. No comparing a rep to the gen when it comes to Rolex. I wish they would do something about that. I have two rep blue dial TT subs and asthetically they are decent, but the weight is nothing like the real deal.

I would love to give this a go but we seriously lack AD's in my part of the world, I would have to go to town 40kms away to find an AD, in fact were I live it hard to find a Jewelers that has mechanical watches.

Ken

Maybe a dingo ate your dealers.

/Tim

My fiance and I got that kind of treatment when we were in an AD a few weeks ago. Admitedly, we were dressed quite well rather than 'slob out casual', but the Daytona and J12 certainly upped our status a bit :D Funny thing (well, not funny really) was the assistant had to ask for another assistant to point out the Limeted Edition Planet Ocean to her :D

• 4 weeks later...