When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I was approached by someone looking at my watch...

Usil

gorgeous. I want to see one in real life one day!

To Kollektor: I second the ducati panerai... maybe something with some carbon fiber? I can envision it now.

This is just a small story I relate as I have not had this happen to me before. I was at a fund raiser last week at a fine hotel on Les Champs-Elysees. The Americans Women Group in Paris did this to raise money for charity. It was a wine auction where everything was donated and a person from Sotheby's auctioned off the wines.

I wore my Fiddy at the event. About half way through the reception a well dressed elderly man approached me and pointed to my wrist. He asked if he could see it and I showed it to him on my wrist. From the look on his face it was obvious he was in great admiration of my watch and knew exactly what it was. He asked if I had any other Panerai and I said yes. He said 'let me guess - a Luminor" to which I said yes I do. He said "of course - what else".

The moment was too short to go into the fact it was a rep but it was the first time anyone has ever recognized my Panerai and knew what it was. Kind of a neat moment.

Usil

I had an opposite experience. Where I live 99.9% of folks don't know high end watches other than say Rolex. I was at a function and a gentleman came up and compliemented me on my watch (that evening it was a replica Tag Heuer Carrera, black dial, red hands on the rubber strap with tag deployant buckle). I told the person that it was a replica and through about an 8 minutes conversation he refused to believe it was a replica and kept saying "Don't worry I won't tell anyone how much a Tag Heuer costs" and "I have looked at that watch at the Jewellers and there is no way that is a fake".

To this day, I think this gentleman thinks that the watch is real and that I was trying to be modest by informing him that it is a replica......go figure!!

TimeShare

Sadly I also live in a city were "high end" ussually starts at Rolex and ends there as well. Considering the great wealth the can be found here diversity in watch brands is scarce. Sure their are exceptions but i have not seen many.

Oh and the RS4 is sex on wheels ive seen a few rolling around the streets here in the MIA

However, I highly doubt that there will be an engine (for street or otherwise) that will be up to par with the RS4. It is basically a race engine in a comfortable four door sedan.

No offense intended, but that's a pretty bold statement - especially the 'otherwise' part. I can think of a few street engines alone that eclipse it, and lets not start talking about dedicated racing engines.

No offense intended, but that's a pretty bold statement - especially the 'otherwise' part. I can think of a few street engines alone that eclipse it, and lets not start talking about dedicated racing engines.

Luckily i wasn't the one who originally stated it... Jeremy Clarkson did. Sure there are more powerful engines out there, race and street alike, however not many small (very small) naturally aspirated engines can produce 420 HP with full California emissions, have a 8000 rpm redline, a throttle response normally saved for F1 cars, manage 20 miles a gallon on the highway. Oh yeah and the engine is about 3 times lighter than anything that slightly resembles it thanks to an array of carbon bits.

Luckily i wasn't the one who originally stated it... Jeremy Clarkson did. Sure there are more powerful engines out there, race and street alike, however not many small (very small) naturally aspirated engines can produce 420 HP with full California emissions, have a 8000 rpm redline, a throttle response normally saved for F1 cars, manage 20 miles a gallon on the highway. Oh yeah and the engine is about 3 times lighter than anything that slightly resembles it thanks to an array of carbon bits.

:yawn: :yawn: :drive1::yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

By no means am I a domestic guy.... I'm actually a dyed-in-the-wool 2JZ-GTE aficianado.. BUT

You really can't touch the new LS7-series motors in the new Z06.

Clarkson is a great entertainer, but a bit prone to hyperbole.

Is that the same as saying he talks [censored] ? :)

gorgeous. I want to see one in real life one day!

To Kollektor: I second the ducati panerai... maybe something with some carbon fiber? I can envision it now.

I'm surprised nobody has done it yet. They already have high end luggage sets for Ducatistis--by Tumi. Certainly a luxury brand, and it would look tremendous in watch form. Now that Ducati is dominating MotoGP, perhaps the watch manufacturers will be more motivated.

Nice Audi, by the way. Amazing car. Re Bughatti, I saw one live and photographed it until my flash started to wear down the paint job. Even more stunning in person.

Are you all too new to Ducati to remember the Ducati Corse watches?

http://www.padiglioni.it/BreilDucati2002-0.htm

Yeah, full of Miyota Quartz movements, unfortunately.

What a slap in the face for Ducati that thing is. Egad. Anyway, in my own defense, I've been riding Japanese for the last 12+ years, although I suspect a 1098 would work mighty well for me. :-) Japanese sportbikes are the quartz equivalent in the bike world. Great performance, but I won't be wearing a GSX-R watch anytime soon LOL

Cool story. Ive been involved with a few political consulting firms in Washington for sometime, and the watch of choice among political insiders is definately Panerai. A well known political consultant showed me his collection once, and it was quite something. He had about $200k in Panerai and IWC peices.

WTH is a political consultant? I am lost here :animal_rooster:

Been on a Buell XB for a couple of years. Plenty of soul, sometimes not enough grunt. Tough to knock the handling and exhaust note.

I do miss the way my Japanese bikes would rip the front end skyward. Soul or not, that is a rush.

Oh yeah, back on topic. There is no way you could get called on a Tag Link rep at a dealer. I'd be surprised if the newer Omega reps didn't pass muster too.

Wore a Monster to the local high end AD a couple of weeks ago. No respect at all, like it was a friggin Timex. Idiots.

Oh yeah, back on topic. There is no way you could get called on a Tag Link rep at a dealer. I'd be surprised if the newer Omega reps didn't pass muster too.

Wore a Monster to the local high end AD a couple of weeks ago. No respect at all, like it was a friggin Timex. Idiots.

The new Breitlings, Omegas and TAGs would all pass muster.

Oh, and I find a Seiko Monster an excellent choice to wear to an ADs, but I'm in Europe where we seem to train our salespeople a little.

ps. I have a Ducati 748 and a ZZR600 as only a fool takes a Ducati race bike as his only means of transport. :D