When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Honpo's cheap-[censored] Noobdaytona

kanerich

@freddy: How coud that be "accurate", since the 7750 subdial spacing is different from the El Primero?

Of course the seconds at '9 7750-version would make more sense than the "frozen stopwatch" cheapo, but the price is three times more as well. And then you're stuck with a rep that has wrong spacing.

Frankly, I think NOT making this cheap-o-version is a wasted opportunity from the factory. None of us regulars are going to buy the '6 version anyway. I can see that the dealers could sell hundreds of this cheap one (if it's priced correctly).

Glad yours is running fine though, it looks great!

I agree that the subdial spacing is not exact. But, to my eye, the subdial spacing on the el cheapo does not look any better than the 7750 version. At least with the 7750 you get a known, reliable movement with a working chrono (with the seconds in the right place). If I were in the market for another modern Daytona, I would get the 7750 powered 16520.

• 3 years later...

This deserves a bump as there was talk about this model in another forum.

I still believe an A21J version with frozen stopwatch w/ 7750 case would be a great seller.

+2

I am still waiting for the new 7750 used for Omega chrono with correct subdial spacing for an old 16520....does anyone know something about it?

+3

They are also using this new modded 7750 for the Zenith Defy Extreme reps (horrible looking watch). For both the Omega PO chrono and the Zenith, they are advertised as having a "A7750 with modded subdial spacing, full working chrono", and their pictures look real good to me. Fransisco did a writeup of this new movement here;

Of course, for the PO and the Zenith, it suffers from a sunken date, which would be no problem for a Daytona which has no date function to begin with. Also, using this movement will not solve the problem of the case being too thick for the Daytona, but I could live with that as long as the rest of the watch is executed with the fit, finish and dial quality of the latest seconds at six models.

There is NO REASON that this movement could not be used to build us a better Daytona (as well as offer other reps of the vintage Zenith and Movado ElPrimeros as well as the Panerai chronos that use the ElPrimero (PAM 74 and 122). If there are reasons they could not offer this new movement in more products, I'd love to hear them.

I am pretty much out of the watch hobby right at the moment, but I'd come back in a hurry if this new movement were offered in a solid, well built, rep ElPrimero Daytona. So how about it? Put more energy and effort in a rep that folks are asking for, or continue to clog the marketplace with watches that don't sell. Yeah, I know we are a small part of the rep business model, yadda, yadda. But take a look at what has been done in just the last couple years. Submariners that from WM9 that are just about un-distinguishable from the real deal, watches like the DEEP SEA and the PLOPROF, watches that have very proprietary case designs being repped with amazing detail, vintage dive reps being offered for less than $250 from main line dealers that have amazing detail as well, and finally a vintage Explorer II that looks the part.

I gotta feeling that this will go nowhere, it seems as though the rep industry is only interested in selling us bad looking reps that are dependable, or great looking reps that will not last when it comes to the Daytona. Kinda looks like the rep industry wants to keep rep Daytonas in the franken relm, expensive to build for most, keeping ANY good Daytona rep as exclusive to own as the genuine one. OK, rant over, stepping off of soap box....for now...

Cheers everyone B)

Is it just me, or does anybody else call it a total dealbreaker at even the first hint of a vendor being unreliable?

What we are doing is somewhat on the side of the law, and without opening that can of worms, we're actually not able to reclaim money anymore than a pothead who was sold oregano instead of weed. We can complain and warn our fellow men, but the money paid will not be coming back.

I'll stick to the trusted vendors even if the price is higher.

This deserves a bump as there was talk about this model in another forum.

I still believe an A21J version with frozen stopwatch w/ 7750 case would be a great seller.

I'd take a beatertona, too. I don't care about sec @ 9, probably will never pay for 7750 powered sec @ 6. The beatertona is simply the best solution.

With A21J, they should be able to run sec @ 6, right? The UN MMC being a good example of how it could be done, sans power reserve function of course.

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg