When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unbelievable Car Crash…

TwoTone

Seeing that steering wheel reminds me of the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. The guy got into a wreck and was so scared he bent the wheel over just like that. It doesn't look like much was salvageable from that wreck. Knowing my insurance company they would tell me that they are going to repair it and not total it out. :( Too bad they died, but I'll bet they were having a lot of fun just before that wreck.

Nanuq is showing off his tracking skills, "It looks like a car was through here recently". ;)

One gee is -32 f/s^2 so they experienced maybe 324 gees of deceleration? At least that much.

Apart from a tree isn't solid and they started decelerating the moment the car was off-axis. Still, it was a hideous amound of rapid deceleration and the bodies were flung so far out of the car as to leave no organic debris behind.

Yeah yeah yeah... and I neglected the temperature of the tires and the atmospheric humidity, and threw out the rotational moment of the vehicle and the centrifugal forces too, not to mention the nonlinear deceleration as the body impacted the frame, then the occupants.

It's generalities. There's no way they were only going 120mph either... but it worked out to a simple conversion to get fps.

wreckedexotics.com i would say ay the point of impact the car wasn't going ant faster than about 80 mph, the halves didn't go very far after impact.

"Let's see, just out of curiosity...

Acceleration is delta-V/delta-T. Initial velocity was, what do you guess... 120mph or better? Once they slid into the side of the tree they deformed the chassis by about 3' before it stopped compressing and tore in half. Even then the halves went another 60-80 feet. But let's say the passenger compartment stopped against the side of the tree and the halves went on beyond the tree.

So delta-V is -120mph, or -176fps. Delta-T is what... 176fps/3ft or about 1/59 second? Thinking linearly here.

So -176/(1/59) is -10,384 f/sec^2."

So I think you left out the part about what would happen if you super-glued a Rolex to the tree just at the point of impact...

No need to answer, but like I say, we're on to you, Nanuq.