When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

if you had 400usd to spend on reps

jkarpas

Would you buy just one of those expensive ones

like:

*Davidsens 036, 111h or 177h or 005

*HBB

or you'd rather have more watches by buying a couple of them:

*regular 036, 111h,177h or 005

*Tag slr chrono

*Sash ferrari pam date, gmt , chrono

* IWC amg inge

*Luminor GMT

*Luminor Arktos GMT

Please help me out here...

cant make up my mind..

shall i buy the most accurate?

davidsens have all the upgrades while big bang is very nice but asian mvt.

ferraris are great and 1:1 but again asian mvt.

i also like the new iwc custeau but i dont think its worth the money...

Would you buy just one of those expensive ones

like:

*Davidsens 036, 111h or 177h or 005

*HBB

or you'd rather have more watches by buying a couple of them:

*regular 036, 111h,177h or 005

*Tag slr chrono

*Sash ferrari pam date, gmt , chrono

* IWC amg inge

*Luminor GMT

*Luminor Arktos GMT

Please help me out here...

cant make up my mind..

shall i buy the most accurate?

davidsens have all the upgrades while big bang is very nice but asian mvt.

ferraris are great and 1:1 but again asian mvt.

i also like the new iwc custeau but i dont think its worth the money...

Are you someone who regularly changes their watch, or are you someone who tends to wear the same one for a while? If you frequently rotate them, then treat yourself to several good quality watches. If you tend to stick with one, then buy a really nice watch.

teejay asked you the right questions and gave you the right answers...

but I would get definitely a nice modded PAM...lately got the fully modded 127&217...and I've been wearing them for the past few weekends...other just sit in the watchbox..

Smart ass answer alert!!!!!

Get a decent genuine. Tissot Seastar or LeLocle automatic, Hamilton Kahki or Dodson with a 2892 or 2895 base caliber, or save a few extra dollars and get an Accutron Gemini chronograph.

If you are going the rep route, anything over $200 invested in a single watch is not money well spent. I'd get 4 beautiful 21Js or two ETAs but not one mega rep.

Been wearing the titanium IWC AMG for a while now... perhaps I'll bring it to Athens. I can recommend it though :thumbsupsmileyanim:

ETA movement is great... modified Asian 7750 in the HBB is a potentially expensive paperweight, even though it tempts me every day :(

argh... difficult to deside... i desided to forget all asian chronos (hbb,etc.)

maybe a non chrono ferrari or a manual swiss mvt modded pam or iwc.

i saw an aquatimer today a guy in my gym was wearing, it was so nice...

It depends. I definitely believe that you will be better served with a philosophy of quality over quantity, as others have commented.

But in my case I have a hard time convincing myself to spend $400 or more on my next rep. I have 10 very nice reps already, and most were purchased in the $200-300 range, so I'm not exactly a hard core bargain hunter. I favor quality over the lowest cost. I think you get what you pay for.

If I were starting out and a watch such as the Big Bang or the Cousteau were an ultimate watch for me, I'd probably take the plunge. But I'm at a point where I am more concerned with filling niches than obtaining a single killer watch. So for now I'm on the sidelines, and the next $400 that is burning a hole in my pocket will probably go to something other than a watch.

Part of me wonders whether the rep market isn't getting a bit out of control with all of the high priced models that are being offered. I turned to reps because I didn't want to spend $400 to $1000 on a mid-level genuine. But I'd wager that a lot of those watches are as good or better values than some of the comparably priced reps. I'd really like people to step back and reassess the prices they are willing to pay. If more people did, perhaps the prices would also come down.

Get a 350$ MWB Rolex SD and you'll be able to sell it the same price in a year from now if not more :whistling:

If you're only going to buy one, I'd also factor in versatility to the accuracy/cost equation. My vote for the most accurate and versatile rep would be the VC overseas, which can be worn w/ anything on any occasion..and for $400 you'd have enough left over for the only mods that badboy needs--a cross swap and an AR coat.

post-53-1178587101_thumb.jpg

Another vote for quality over quantity.

There is such an enormous difference in feel between the high end and lower end reps... my 201a, HBB and FM Conquistador get far more wrist time than my VC Regulateur, JLC RDM and PAM253. Heck, I like those three reps better than my gens - they feel more solid! :rolleyes:

If you're only going to buy one, I'd also factor in versatility to the accuracy/cost equation. My vote for the most accurate and versatile rep would be the VC overseas, which can be worn w/ anything on any occasion..and for $400 you'd have enough left over for the only mods that badboy needs--a cross swap and an AR coat.

I'll second that. Love mine. And the white/silver dial is a nice change from the usual black dials that seem to dominate our watches for the most part.

Here's mine with cross mod, double AR, The Zigmeister dial and hands lume job, and Flavor Flav bracelet mods.

243591-9100.jpg

I'll second that. Love mine. And the white/silver dial is a nice change from the usual black dials that seem to dominate our watches for the most part.

Here's mine with cross mod, double AR, The Zigmeister dial and hands lume job, and Flavor Flav bracelet mods.

243601-9095.jpg

That is one hell of a beautiful watch. Looks very tempting to be my next pick.

244647-8825.jpg

Good thing you didn't say it was a hand job :rolleyes:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

:bicycle: