When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any mechanical reliability update from Portu Chrono Owners?

crystalcranium

I had my doubts about the ongoing reliability of the moved running seconds dial in that moving any running seconds hand meant constant running gearing to achieve the move,...always something to be cautious about. It looks like there were MANY watches sold in the group buy. Everybody happy??????

I had my doubts about the ongoing reliability of the moved running seconds dial in that moving any running seconds hand meant constant running gearing to achieve the move,...always something to be cautious about. It looks like there were MANY watches sold in the group buy. Everybody happy??????

I didn't get mine from a group buy...but I have it...the watch works only when it is worn, it has little or none PR...and sometimes even on wrist it just stops working...

It is a beauty however, just the regular problem with the mvt with sec @6...this can be fixed by taking off some gears and freezing the sec subdial...

is it worth buying? yes if you find a nice 2nd hand for 150$...or less!...

do not remember the price of it when it came out....but definitely even now, the new one is not worth buying...the high price cannot justify the beauty of the rep with the problematic mvt

I didn't get mine from a group buy...but I have it...the watch works only when it is worn, it has little or none PR...and sometimes even on wrist it just stops working...

It is a beauty however, just the regular problem with the mvt with sec @6...this can be fixed by taking off some gears and freezing the sec subdial...

is it worth buying? yes if you find a nice 2nd hand for 150$...or less!...

do not remember the price of it when it came out....but definitely even now, the new one is not worth buying...the high price cannot justify the beauty of the rep with the problematic mvt

Wow....that's a damn shame. Is this a well documented problem with the replica? I remember getting told to STFU when I introduced the potential mechanical reliability issues in the midst of the group buy thread. While I might be pating myself on the back for not taking the plunge, I'd hate to think lots of the members here got screwed by a movement that had no track record to speak of. (Well....maybe I'm smiling just a little on the inside. There were a couple of one word replies in the thread to my question!)

EDIT: Sorry guys, just found another month old thread on this topic. Looks like the movement is an absolute bomb. It's interesting to me that there was so much frat house enthusiasm in that GB thread for this watch...no one wanted to hear anything that might slow the train dispite warnings from many that a new watch with a new un-tested movement was no bargain and being first in line to get the freshest examples rolling off the assembly line was not an advantage. It's very quiet...the silence is ominous...from all of the bandwagon riders.

It's such a shame that this movement is a time-bomb. The Portuguese is one of the hottest watches ever made. It is beyond gorgeous.

I wish to own a reliable rep one day, but it will seemingly not be happening at all :(

Cheers

I have the Laureus version (blue face), bought secondhand from another RWG member for $75 IIRC. I've had it about two months now, but I'm not sure how long the previous owner had it but I guess at least that long. The watch has been faultless since I've owned it. It lives happily in my winder and has never stopped running there, and when I wear it (for a day, every couple of weeks or so) it is very happy on my wrist. It keeps excellent time, probably within COSC, maybe gaining two or three seconds a day. Although I'm expecting the worst, so far the watch has been a real trooper! I'm now tempted to get the crystal AR coated, but will speak to The Zigmeister for his advice on whether he things I should just leave it as it is and enjoy it while it lasts, freeze the seconds hand or go for the crystal mod and keep my fingers crossed.

I should have said that the only (very minor) problem with is that the rotor is a little bit noisy, so you can hear it when it rotates. I've also never played with the chronos, in the hope that this will reduce the stress on the movement. Do we have a "fingers crossed" smillie?

Guest avitt

Mine's fine as well. It doesn't get much wrist time, but on the other hand, I always play with the chronos when I wear it.

It's only a replica watch (albeit a great one), so I won't cry if/when it fails...

I have both INGENIEUR (4 months) and PORTUGUESE (2 weeks) chronos and they works fine. Hope it will last!

The second hand @ 6 is a bit jerking but who cares.

These are very nice reps, especially the Portuguese rose gold white dial wich is a subtlle mix of sport and high class elegance.

I just love it !!

Xel

Bought mine when it first came out, not from the group buy. Running fine so far.

The second hand is a little jerly and the rotor is noisy. But it is by far and away the watch i get the most comments on.

I dont keep it on the winder and only really wear it when i am going out.

The PR is not that great.