When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

so i was doing a search about replacing the bezel insert on my "So called perfect sub"

cableguy

so I guess changing out the insert it out?

i dont want to ruin my watch :black_eye:

or is there a special way that i missed on how to do this.

If you don't care about the insert that's in there now. Just remove it, clean the gunk out and put in the new insert. That's what I did and it's fine.

I've seem something similar...my question pertains to the So Called Perfect sub...and people saying DONT remove the bezel.....

The search function will provide you all the answers to your question you require to understand why not to do this and you will find photos too.

When you say "So called perfect sub", I guess you're referring to Paul's "perfect sub", which is the same as the Noobmariner, Beginmariner, TWG's eta sub, EL's and even River's eta copy sub. I like to refer to these as the CN 2006 sub. Yes, removing the bezel has proven to be a problem, so as Pug says, your best bet might be to take a knife and try to remove the bezel insert. It would be a good idea to protect the crystal with masking tape or something else. Remove any glue or residue on the bezel ring itself. Then you're going to have to fit the new insert by trial and error and it will probably involve some filing of the back side to get it to fit properly. When you finally get it fitting in there, you'll need to glue it, but don't glue the bezel to where it won't turn.

Unless the bezel is permanently attached to the case, why would it get bent if removed using one of these Rolex bezel removers?

It wouldn't get bent with a bezel removal tool...BUT at $300 for the tool, and using it maybe 1-2 times a year max, it's not worth buying, at least not for me. I can't imagine an individual buying one of these, just for one job.

RG

I was speaking, generally, that the bezel can be removed safely if you have one of these tools (I was thinking of the cheaper model ($175)). But your point is well taken that it would be overkill for most people who need it only for a single job.

Even at that price, for the amount of times I would use it, I can't justify buying one... In the past year, I may have removed one bezel that would have required a tool, and the ones I do remove are the MBW models, which come off easily with a case knife.

RG

alligoat's right, the bezel is very hard to remove. I've heard only one person (forgot who) did it but he bent it. I tried myself and damaged the bezel so it doesn't turn anymore and I got 5 stitches on my finger. One way to remove the insert it go from behind, i.e. pop the crystal to get to the insert. Of course you need the right tool to pop the crystal and press it back.

-bk

The search function will provide you all the answers to your question you require to understand why not to do this and you will find photos too.
Dude, I DID Search, which is why my title says "So I was doing a search" :p

Thanks for all the replies guys... I guess I'm gonna try to remove just the insert via pug's idea.

Does this bezel look decent VS the NoobMariner/Perfect Version?? I've been staring a pictures of pearls for hours now....haha

Rolex Bezel Insert Black Silver f/ 5513 Submariner (They claim its a perfect match)

The bezel insert for the 5513 is not the same size as the insert for the 16800/16610. And of course, the pearl on that 5513 insert is not correct for that model. bklm has been taking the pearl from a www,watchmaterial.com/ insert and applying it to the noobmariner bezel insert w/o removing the the insert itself. Pop off the old pearl and glue in the watchmaterial pearl. I bought a bezel insert from Raymond Lee on ebay and put it on my old CN sub and like it for the price- under $20, but I haven't seen his stuff on ebay lately. And on my noob/begin/perfect, I have just left the stock pearl and insert on there. Heck, the big a$$ crown bothers me more than the pearl. And I always trim the inside edges of the cg's.

Hmmm ^ thats an Idea as well...just swap pearls....25.00 thru watchmaterial, thats not bad at all...i think ill do that......ill bet im gonna get screwed on the shipping lol

I'm planning on trimming the inside of the cg's this weekend

I'd order a gen crown and tube if i knew i wouldn't screw it up, problem is I tried searching for, but didnt find a "How to replace the tube and crown" post. I did however seem to see mulitple people recommend changing out the crown and tube on a noob/so called perfect sub before, so I'm HOPING that its totally possible without very much modding required?? Is it just a open case back, remove crown, remove movement, remove tube, and replace?? Can someone confirm for sure? BK?

Since when did this CN sub bezel became hard to remove?? Are this different than the usual piece of thin wire retainer arround the bezel? The last sub I had (BeginMariner) was the same thin wire retainer arround the bezel just like my 2 year old subs.

Since when did this CN sub bezel became hard to remove?? Are this different than the usual piece of thin wire retainer arround the bezel? The last sub I had (BeginMariner) was the same thin wire retainer arround the bezel just like my 2 year old subs.

Rather than a watch knife I've been using an old credit card which has been sanded down on one edge to a 'wedge' shape or 'knife-edge' The thin end is slipped in and the card worked round GENTLY working the bezel up as you go.....

I have to say it's not the quality of the pearl I couldn't live with; more the TERRIBLE quality of the print on the bezel as seen through a glass...

Another issue I have is the 'sloppy' nature of the bezel once fitted. FAR too much lateral play which gives the whole watch a cheap feel. I assume adjusting the retaining spring might help but haven't worked out quite which way to bend it. I even contemplated making a new spring out of something like an old guitar string....

Hmmm ^ thats an Idea as well...just swap pearls....25.00 thru watchmaterial, thats not bad at all...i think ill do that......ill bet im gonna get screwed on the shipping lol

I'm planning on trimming the inside of the cg's this weekend

I'd order a gen crown and tube if i knew i wouldn't screw it up, problem is I tried searching for, but didnt find a "How to replace the tube and crown" post. I did however seem to see mulitple people recommend changing out the crown and tube on a noob/so called perfect sub before, so I'm HOPING that its totally possible without very much modding required?? Is it just a open case back, remove crown, remove movement, remove tube, and replace?? Can someone confirm for sure? BK?

I'm about to do that very same task. There IS a tutorial on the process on the board which helps. I believe you have to re-thread and countersink the hole to take the genuine tube..

I'm about to do that very same task. There IS a tutorial on the process on the board which helps. I believe you have to re-thread and countersink the hole to take the genuine tube..

It's fairly self-evident. If I can manage without any instructions, I'm sure anyone can. :D

Removing the crown from the stem may prove tricky, but it will unscrew with a bit of force, but try not to mangle the threads or the works at the end.

Oh, and you may need a tap to rethread the hole for the tube.