When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TTK's Modern Sub MBW

crystalcranium

Opinions from all retentive Sub experts on the quality of the modern 16610 MBW submariner. Is it all OEM interchangeable including crystal? Is the bracelet a step above in elusive feel like the vintage MBWs supposedly are? What about the lume...is it first rate? Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm thinking of scrapping my mod plans for my standard high quality off the shelf sub and going for the holy grail as a platform for some ridiculous spending!

Opinions from all retentive Sub experts on the quality of the modern 16610 MBW submariner. Is it all OEM interchangeable including crystal? Is the bracelet a step above in elusive feel like the vintage MBWs supposedly are? What about the lume...is it first rate? Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm thinking of scrapping my mod plans for my standard high quality off the shelf sub and going for the holy grail as a platform for some ridiculous spending!

Ditto the Great White.

Hi, i think the Modern Mbw 16610 is not perfect but the best base for some modding.

Oem parts won't fit at the first step,for Tube and crown you must drill the hole in the case and retap.

Gen Insert won't fit you must grind down the Insert or the bezel....

The Bracelet has no hollow midlinks like gen....

The Datedisknumbers are too fat,magnification about 3x...

But rehaut is damm good if you can catch a cylindrical one...

Bezel assembly is better than on CN-Subs...

Casematerial is better,i think 440er steel

So you can see not the holy grail,but for a Franken a good choice,you can get even a TW best is also great....

Hope this helps

Tribal, pretty much covered it. What it comes down to is the case. In my opinion as far a MODERN Subs go the MBW case is the BEST for modders and will allow you to end up with the best finished product. Not as good as the vintage MBW's but still The best MODERN case out there. I recently got my hands on an MBW and have owned quite a few of the other popular subs out there....once you have seen this case and awesome rehaut (not just rehaut depth, but rehaut thickness and the fact that it is MUCH more cylindrical rather than conical) the other cases just won't cut the mustard at all. If you want to build the best Modern sub, right now the MBW is the one to get.

not one sub or SD is seriously good. In the end the crown sits too low ion the case. You can see this when looking at it from the cown side. This is always a give away... big time!

Sometime the rehaut is deep enough but than the rehaut is in an angle and not straight. It should be straight... so i've seen no Sub or SD that has a correct rehaut... deep or not.

I find it incredible that a difficult watch like the Hublot BB or the IWC CD are being copied in such an incredible perfect way... especially when compared to a simple Sub. But i've never seen a really good Sub.

And unfortunately no good SD. OK... they give us the thicker caseback.. but the case should be thicker which it is not.

Bottomline.. all Subs and SD are crap!

I know it might sound drastic... but when you would look at all Subs and SD's like you look at the new Breit Steelfish, the IWC pilot chrono or the TAG Carrera... for those watches we are making a new datewheel to make it perfect! And they really become perfect :)

The Rollie sportswatches... we modd for hundreds of $$... but they still look fake big time.

It's such a shame :(

It is funny to hear you say that because I having been thinking just the opposite. A few of the recent Sub & SD reps that some of the collectors here have are very good. And I am starting to have trouble telling some of the better modded reps from the gens. My eyes must be failing.

.. but they still look fake big time.

These subs aren't perfect, but they're not that bad, I've never been called out even on my old CN throw down and I do think some people like bk, bruce, ubi, bytor, etc. have done alot to get awfully close. And heck, that's what's fun about this hobby. I like to think of it as "The Search for the Perfect Sub".

not one sub or SD is seriously good. In the end the crown sits too low ion the case. You can see this when looking at it from the cown side. This is always a give away... big time!

Sometime the rehaut is deep enough but than the rehaut is in an angle and not straight. It should be straight... so i've seen no Sub or SD that has a correct rehaut... deep or not.

I find it incredible that a difficult watch like the Hublot BB or the IWC CD are being copied in such an incredible perfect way... especially when compared to a simple Sub. But i've never seen a really good Sub.

And unfortunately no good SD. OK... they give us the thicker caseback.. but the case should be thicker which it is not.

Bottomline.. all Subs and SD are crap!

I know it might sound drastic... but when you would look at all Subs and SD's like you look at the new Breit Steelfish, the IWC pilot chrono or the TAG Carrera... for those watches we are making a new datewheel to make it perfect! And they really become perfect :)

The Rollie sportswatches... we modd for hundreds of $$... but they still look fake big time.

It's such a shame :(

In most of your points you are right,but on older MBW cases the Rehaut look like on gen ones straight.....

cannot agree with you, yellowmen. mbw esp. the older case is very close to gen except for the crown flaw and no it's not that noticeable. The wearer can feel it because it scratches your hand. But straight down or at a quarter-view angle, it's very very hard to tell. You really have to stare at it from the side. the mbw has near gen like rehaut (depth and thickness), crystal height and bevel, bezel thickness, bezel teeth (only the old bezel, the new bezel has teeth cuts that are too deep on the top), bezel clicks. it needs other refinement (like a noob dial, bracelet, insert). but when done, it's really near-gen like the newer reps as much as the BB is near its gen (well, may not be at the level of IWC CD).

-bk

In most of your points you are right,but on older MBW cases the Rehaut look like on gen ones straight.....

Correct... the rehaut of the older MBW's was really good. But still the crown is too low in the case. When you look from the side the larger part of the crown stick out on the bottom side of the case. With genuine Subs and SDs it opposite... the larger part sticks out on the upper side of the case.

You're not going to get perfect crown position and rehaut unless you match the Rolex movement dimensions. As far as I know, the 2892 is the closest non-rolex, and they're simply not available in the volume required for Subs.

At least, this is my understanding. I could be wrong.

You're not going to get perfect crown position and rehaut unless you match the Rolex movement dimensions. As far as I know, the 2892 is the closest non-rolex, and they're simply not available in the volume required for Subs.

At least, this is my understanding. I could be wrong.

I guess you're right Pug. The 2892 is closer than the 2824/2836 mvt's. But i don't know if there are some asian mvt's that are close? Maybe someone with knowledge of those mvt's can shed some light on this?