When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's Just So Sad...

statikman

I think I am over Panerais. I just recieved my EL 029 and for the first time I unwrapped a watch and went,"Meh."

I have a 217, 111G, 111H, 117, "PVD" 111, 192, 212 and now an 029 and I have to say I think I have reached critical mass. Either that or the 029 just doesn't sing to me the way the other ones do.

Maybe a Submersible or Arktos will help but I think the love affair might be coming to an end. Maybe I will try some new straps to try to rekindle this relationship.

If it doesn't do it for you give the Arktos a go, if that doesn't do it for you then it might be done. I'm pretty much in a similiar boat though - my PAM "wishlist" from the current models is pretty much complete or en-route to me and Ive started looking at other brands such as Breitling and Cartier

I'm not usually a Panerai kind of guy, but I must say that the base models really appeal to me. I tend to like my PAMs simple, and I don't think you can get any more basic than a base (002, 009, 112 etc). Must be something about the balance of the dial, and lack of seconds that just does it for me.

Statikman - can I just say you have my utmost sympathy. It takes a lot of courage to confront this most demonic of demons and you are indeed a brave man. To lose the love for something in this way is a terrible event, and you are facing up to it with great dignity. You have stepped up and you have announced to your friends that what made your heart race a little faster - no longer does. I admire you. :notworthy:

JTB

PS - Whadya say fifty bucks the lot?

Statik and Veni,

Have you guys messed up your eyes using that LASIK@Home kit or something? The tuxedo dial just sings like Andrea Bocelli with a symphony orchestra backup! Anyways, you both know the worth of all things Panerai, so put it on the market, you know it won't stay there...

Esmarc :pimp:

Statik and Veni,

Have you guys messed up your eyes using that LASIK@Home kit or something? The tuxedo dial just sings like Andrea Bocelli with a symphony orchestra backup! Anyways, you both know the worth of all things Panerai, so put it on the market, you know it won't stay there...

Esmarc :pimp:

First, I don't like the seconds in the middle and second the dial looked kind of plastic cheap..

Maybe it's my eyes but i've sold it and don't miss it at all :whistling:

What ? No 196 ??? :huh:

Agree with you on the 029 though,.. had one and sold it the next day,.. the 063 however,..now that's

a Time Piece !

For me, Panerai is too large of a watch, not to have a somewhat interesting face, {some would call busy}

to fill up all that space,.. like a large flat screen tv without picture in picture or a huge orgy :o

but then, what do I know... I'm lovin my Breit Navi,.. because when I am bored, the more I have to look at

and compute,..the better ! :D

I'm with Esmarc on this one. I love the 029. Looks good on straps, bracelets and rubber. Sporty one day, refined the next. I personally like the large second hand. You can see it sweep better than the little guys.

BTW, if you decide to thin out the stock, I might be interested in the 117.

Maybe a Submersible or Arktos will help but I think the love affair might be coming to an end. Maybe I will try some new straps to try to rekindle this relationship.

Prune back. The less watches you have, the more you appreciate them individually. :D

I think you're getting to where I've been for a long time now--I just can't get excited over another 44mm, SS watch with locking crown guards. To some that's the be all and end all of their collecting, apparently, but it no loner feeds my beast. My own PAM malaise is, I think, is caused by seeing a bunch of sweet watches that I know could be repped just as beautifully and sell just as wellany of the next 10 44mm Luminor reps that will be produced in the near future. i bet we could all list 10 right off the top of our heads.

I think those of us who love PAMS but are not obsessed with them to the exclusion of all other watches, should help the factories extract themselves from their PAM rut by not buying any more.

Unless the makers start breaking new ground--a blue or anthracite dial, a Ti auto, a radiomir aside from some variant of the Black Seal, a Mare Nostrum,etc. my Panerai dollars will be spent improving the watches I already own with aftermarket parts.

I think a 187 or a Mare Nostrum is what is needed to shake things up a bit. I agree, I've hit the wall with 44mm CG watches. I've ordered a few BOBs and I will put the 029 away until I try the new straps on it. If I still feel over it I will put it up for adoption and get an IWC Chrono.

Today I had a slip in my mail box. I had my watches from andrew waiting at the post office. So, I picked them up, ripped open the package. And there was my Black PO and 111h. Already owned a couple PAMS. I looked at the PO first and fell in love with it. Put it on, and thought. "I like it so much I might get the gen" Well, that lasted one afternoon. And here sitting on my wrist is the 111h, which is surprisingly nice with the rubber strap. Now it's PAM love all over again. And the PO is sitting in my box. Not sure when I will wear it again. Still a very nice watch.