When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ruby's SFSO for 139 shipped... So we now know how much it was overpriced

Pix

[Edit]Link removed. You know where to find it...

Hi,

I'm not here to be Ruby's shill or play Don Quixote, but...

I considered this watch as the cheapest "SuperRep" on the market... As good as the Swiss 320 dollars version, with a Miyota clone movement and no AR... I sweared that was the best bargain around. It was actually.

But, and as expected, we also all know how prices were controlled.

I paid, not so long ago, 168 + 30 = 198, i.e. 60 dollars more expensive than Ruby's current offer. I don't regret that, as I know how good is this rep. But Ruby's offer, whatever its origin is, shows that the socalled "SuperReps" are probably "just" the new generation of reps, which are surely able to bear the same sales prices as ever.

This is the n

You will be amazed how much the SFSO or whatever the super rep is in GuangZhou, China. HOWEVER, the dealers here are almost all responsible for custom risks, broken returns... that add to their margin, as well as credit card/paypal charges ... lots of other costs. But Ruby is indeed the elite on this matter. One thing for sure is that healthy competition always benefit us.

Agreed. Customs risk etc... is a great service to us, I applause that. I remember TT proposing to deliver a complete watch, whereas only my strap was wrong... (I should have accepted !! ^_^ ) But as you say, if Ruby can do it, they can as well. And she continues accepting PP...

i may get lynched for saying this, but my guess is that they weren't moving the asian movement versions (despite the already material difference in price for the swiss) and therefore dropped the price and sold them in bulk to a discount dealer like ruby.

just a guess.

deltatahoe

You will be amazed how much the SFSO or whatever the super rep is in GuangZhou, China. HOWEVER, the dealers here are almost all responsible for custom risks, broken returns... that add to their margin, as well as credit card/paypal charges ... lots of other costs. But Ruby is indeed the elite on this matter. One thing for sure is that healthy competition always benefit us.

Agreed. I've said as much before.

These guys aren't going to take all the risks, etc. just to make $10 profit.

Obviously we're paying a premium mark-up for the service. I'm fine with that. The alternative is flying to China ourselves (or being lucky and having a local contact over there).

Of course, some have much more of a mark-up than others. I recently bought a Tag Chrono from Ruby for $239 shipped via PayPal (I love her for offering this). +$10 for the PayPal included in that. The going rate is $250 at most dealers + shipping of usually $30.

The smaller dealers need to have lower prices to compete. If Ruby gets as big as the others, then I'm sure she'd charge a bit more. In the mean time, she's awesome to deal with and her prices are great. On top of that she doesn't drop ship.

Wow, I sound like I work for her.

Anyway, based on my experiences with Ruby, I will be buying from her or The Watch Prince given that he has great service and is in the US so no customs issues.

Edited by Jumbie

i may get lynched for saying this, but my guess is that they weren't moving the asian movement versions (despite the already material difference in price for the swiss) and therefore dropped the price and sold them in bulk to a discount dealer like ruby.

just a guess.

deltatahoe

Makes sense ! I would love this explanation to be the right one...

Mineral crystal, no AR, and a poor quality movement........

There is a reason why this version has dropped in price, as mentioned, nobody was buying it.....

Compared to the Swiss version, it's not even half as good. I have my black dial Swiss version on a genuine rubber divers strap and it is one of the best watches I own, not best replicas, but best watches.

Cheers :D

I have my black dial Swiss version on a genuine rubber divers strap and it is one of the best watches I own, not best replicas, but best watches.

this is what i like to hear -- i've got the same combo in the works (just received the gen black rubber strap, black dial swiss version on the way) :victory:

deltatahoe

Mineral crystal, no AR, and a poor quality movement........

There is a reason why this version has dropped in price, as mentioned, nobody was buying it.....

Compared to the Swiss version, it's not even half as good. I have my black dial Swiss version on a genuine rubber divers strap and it is one of the best watches I own, not best replicas, but best watches.

Cheers :D

Hi Mickey,

Although that's not absolutely the subject, may I ask if you saw the "cheap" version ?

Maybe you would like to change your mind.

I agree on no AR (although I do feel it's not missing on my white one, see the pics in my mini-review).

The Crystal on the Asian might be sapphire as well (see this thread : water drop test, ticking on the crystal, no yellowish aspect at an horizontal view angle). Don't forget that 90 dollars reps have also sapphire. I learnt not to believe all the marketing things that make us happy to pay more.

As for the poor movement... I might be flamed, but the Miyota movement which is cloned is a good movement. Ask The Zigmeister ;)

In my view, the existing movement or a Miyota replacement is just as good as the ETA...so why bother.

The Swiss movement you have in yours is a used one... It does not mean it's bad. It does not mean either that it's reliable nor serviced nor well oiled...

I have 2 Swiss movements in my collection : one works flawlessly, the other has problems.

You're surely happy with your 328 dollars watch. I would too, if I could afford it. Notice that for this price I bought my Asian Breitling and a 112H PAM, both are :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I even could buy a leather strap from a member to complete my SFSO wardrobe...

Most important is that both of us are glad. But don't judge "cheap" reps, some are much more reliable than what you may think. In our case, I would not say my SFSO is twice not as good. Just twice cheaper... And now even 3 times !!!

I learnt not to spit on Chinese movements... After all, they come from the same places as the "Swiss grade" reps ^_^

No offense in my post, of course.

Back to the "we're fooled" subject : all readers, buy this from Ruby, you'll have some shock for the price !! :D

The AR is SO good on the Swiss version, that it makes the watch what it is, the genuine watch has it...... When a friend who knows nothing about watches says "Wow it looks like it has no glass" and pokes his finger at the crystal, you realise what a great job they did with this watch.

I understand if you do not have the cash, then fair play, go with what you can afford and Ruby's watch IS very good value indeed B)

The non new movements are not in ALL the Swiss Steelfishes by the way.... :p

The movement in my watch keeps perfect time, as does my mates at work who asked me to get him one :whistling: Something I cannot say of any watch I have owned, that has had an Asian movement in it. They have been unreliable in the extreme and I steer clear of them at any cost. Although saying that, the newer Asian 7750 watches I have owned, all seem to be OK, go figure :D

EDIT: I have not seen the cheaper version TBH, but I know what no AR doesn't look like :p:D

;)

Does anyone know the price of a brand new ETA 2824 movement ? Would be curious. It's true it's a basic movement after all.

No AR might be useful sometimes, to remind me how I look like while reading time... :fullmop:

We all agree, the SFSO looks gorgeous. Tell your work mate you can get him all 3 colours for the same price ! Sure he might think about. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

264615-4770.jpg

So, who did order ?

you can get milspec AR added to a crystal for $40 at a low volume through a very esteemed gentleman on this board. BTW I highly recommend this. I only reach for my newly AR'd watches now. They have that extra awesomeness factor.

In my mind, to get AR in china in bulk was to be at most $20 and probably closer to $5-10 for the manufacturer. So the $139 + 20 = $159. So, another 50 for the movement (swiss) and you are at $209 with some profit already built in. > $300 is ridiculous for this watch if you can get the asian version for $139 and the dealer is still making money.

you can get milspec AR added to a crystal for $40 at a low volume through a very esteemed gentleman on this board. BTW I highly recommend this. I only reach for my newly AR'd watches now. They have that extra awesomeness factor.

In my mind, to get AR in china in bulk was to be at most $20 and probably closer to $5-10 for the manufacturer. So the $139 + 20 = $159. So, another 50 for the movement (swiss) and you are at $209 with some profit already built in. > $300 is ridiculous for this watch if you can get the asian version for $139 and the dealer is still making money.

has anyone popped a crystal out of a steelfish yet? had one of hte asiain ones AR'd?

I want to, but nobody will give me info on how and haven't had a response from ruby to the message I sent here.... sigh... maybe I shouldn't buy from her?

You should email her, she will not answer PM.

And yes, you should buy from her, as this Breitling is a bargain.