When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Your PO Waterproof?

Leifhaus

who are you?

I am a friend , coming from RWG "senior" ... They said I would have been welcome ... Do not worry, I did not want to criticise the idea of a waterproof rep, it is feasible but here it is difficult to find skilled watchsmiths who enjoy working on reps. And I do not like to send my reps across Europe. :wounded1:

I am a friend , coming from RWG "senior" ... They said I would have been welcome ... Do not worry, I did not want to criticise the idea of a waterproof rep, it is feasible but here it is difficult to find skilled watchsmiths who enjoy working on reps. And I do not like to send my reps across Europe. :wounded1:

Welcome friend, most of us are members in all fora, and some of us go back to ages before rwg senior.. If you want ready made waterproof watches, just ask so your favorite collector. Silix, TTK come in mind. They offer it as additional service, sometimes at no extra cost for specific models. That, or learn how to do it yourself. Remember that when buying a rep, you have to be prepared to take some risk. Otherwise, buy gen or treat your rep as a display item.

Welcome again.

George

No need for a watch smith, all my reps get the back checked crown screwed in and then i jump in the pool. A little LEAP of fath is some times needed that all.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 5th gen 45mm UPO from Andrew that I routinely dive with. However, the He valve is a real weak point and should be permanently sealed if you want it to stand up to some decent pressure. Take out the movement and seal the He valve from the inside with epoxy, and grease the caseback seal and the crown seal while you're at it. It also helps to have a caseback wrench to really torque down the back. After treating mine like this I have had it on dives down to 80 feet for 35 minutes with no problems.

• 1 month later...

I have a 4th gen PO that I got from trustytime. I got it about 8 months ago and have been terrified of even getting rain on it. I have no idea about tightening the back case, putting silicon in etc (i'm quite new to this whole thing).

I take it from this thread that my PO should be fine in rain at least? And maybe even the pool? In what way do I tighten the back case...do I screw it in or push it or what?

I am getting mine from Ruby too! Am really excited.

Where did you get your strap from, and how do I ensure that I seal all weak points?

Reading from above, I know an example would be to get epoxy or silicone, where do i get these stuff, and is it possible to waterproof it without "invasive procedures"?

Cheers.

Model: Ultimate Planet Ocean ETA

Size: 45mm

Seller: Ruby

Rain: No leaks

Shower: No leaks

Pool/Ocean: Swam in a lake, went about 4 ft deep with no problems. Also no problems in the hot tub with jets and blowers on.

292600-4313.jpg

I have a 4th gen PO that I got from trustytime. I got it about 8 months ago and have been terrified of even getting rain on it. I have no idea about tightening the back case, putting silicon in etc (i'm quite new to this whole thing).

I take it from this thread that my PO should be fine in rain at least? And maybe even the pool? In what way do I tighten the back case...do I screw it in or push it or what?

Just make sure that it's screwed tightly shut. To get it really tight, you'll need a case wrench, although, I have been able to use two hexagonal screwdrivers (as from a jeweller's screwdriver set) to apply enough pressure (pressing in opposite directions) to screw the case back down really tight. Not quite as tight as a case wrench, but certainly too tight to undo by finger pressure. If you can get the caseback that tight, assuming the crown and HE valve have been properly sealed with O Rings and siliconed, you should be okay. That said, there have been incidents where watches from Andrew weren't waterproofed as promised. Personally, I wouldn't worry about rain, but, if you're concerned about bathing or swimming, taking it into an independant watchsmith (NOT an Omega AD :D ) for a pressure test and waterproofing might be an idea. It's not terribly expensive, and at least gives you peace of mind that it's not going to leak B)

Model: SMP Closed Factory Model swiss (soon to have 1120 genuine movement!)

Size: 42 mm

Seller: N/A

Rain: Yes, no leaks or mist

Shower: Yes, no leaks or mist

Pool/Sea 3 meter/10 feet: Pool yes/Sea Yes (Gulf of Mexico, AKA "Poor Man's Riviera")

Model: UPO swiss

Size: 45.5 mm

Seller: Henry Lee/Timeswiss tswisswatch.com

Rain: Yes, no leaks or mist

Shower: Yes, no leaks or mist

Pool/Sea 3 meter/10 feet: Pool yes/Sea Yes (Gulf of Mexico, AKA "Poor Man's Riviera")

freedive/snorkeling 15-20 feet yes. Love those sand dollars!