When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why do people imitate TTK's style of writing?

Jumbie

See Pugwash's post.

Also, before any further questioning, to the best of my knowledge ellipses is the plural form of ellipsis which is why I spelled it as such in my second post.

Well touch-me-not I'm a dandelion!

But as elipsis refers to the use of full stops or other marks (asterisks etc) to denote missing letters or words from a body of text......I must surely be excused for the assumption that that has nothing to do with TTK's manner of PUNCTUATION.

Edited by narikaa

But as elipsis refers to the use of full stops or other marks (asterisks etc) to denote missing letters or words from a body of text......I must surely be excused for the assumption that that has nothing to do with TTK's manner of PUNCTUATION.

When transcribing speech, ellipses are used to denote a ... um, pause.

I can say that I am guilty of using ellipses at least once in every post. As Pugwash says, I use them to imitate a particular speech pattern. I write my posts as if I was having a converation with all of you. Plus...I think they look funny :D

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but amusing to read.

Just to add, to the old post...

Read a book called "Eats, Shites and Leaves" the opposite of "Eats, shoots and leaves" both are amusing and educational books on English grammar and how it's misused.

Did you know 'English' spelling is more complex, irregular and eccentric than that of any other written language!

A couple of quotes which you may find amusing 'Word Trouble':

'It depends on how you define "alone"... there were lots of times when we were alone, but I never really thought we were.' - Bill Clinton

'Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning?' - George W. Bush

One more, the next time you want to say "worthless" try Floccinaucinihilipilification. Yes, it is a real word.

ROFL

Maybe TTK is imitating me??

:p lol

but seriously.. I typed like this long before i knew who TTK was or before i ever found this forum.... oh well, you know what they say...

Or maybe....he is imitating me...I've been writing this way 4eva JUMBIE....next you're gonna tell me that the folk here are copying me 'cause of the word FOLK...

Who the PHUK is TTK anyway...oh yeah...he's the guy we are ALL copying...thanx for pointing that out to us...

Did you know that assumption is the mother of all PHUK UPS...

:yawn:

phuck...did i really just read and reply to this post? I must be some kind of lemming...

B)

I don't get it.I have never seen anyone type like this before. I think it's fine for that to be an individual's unique/particular style but it is hardly the "norm" yet I see it fairly often on this forum and RWI where TTK posts. Therefore, I can only conclude that people are simply copying him which is well...strange to me.

Jumbie, if you'll forgive me, this is one of the most "out there" posts I have ever read in any forum.

I would love to get into your mind to see what prompted you to write this, or no wait, let's back up, the sequence of logical thoughts that made you arrive at the conclusion that any member's "writing" is being imitated (the who, the whaa, the where?), instead of being merely a coincidence -- and a common one at that.

I presume you saw a post by Lanikai, who frequently uses ellipses, and jumped to the dastardly conclusion that he was "copying" another member? Is this it?

Or have you never read a Virginia Woolf novel...who made stream-of-consciousness...de rigueur...for any 20th century novelist...who followed her...because it sounded...deep?

:feedtroll3pr:
Oh...right. Sorry, thought it was a genuine member.

I don't get it.

I have never seen anyone type like this before. I think it's fine for that to be an individual's unique/particular style but it is hardly the "norm" yet I see it fairly often on this forum and RWI where TTK posts. Therefore, I can only conclude that people are simply copying him which is well...strange to me.

I don't know. I feel it's the same as if an individual were to go to work and show up in the exact same pair of pants, shoes and sunglasses as the "cool guy" who also works there. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say but this just strikes me as extremely odd.

Note: the one exception to this is when people are replying to TTK and obviously making a joke of it rather than it being their normal style of writing.

I think a quite from Donald Rumsfeld is what you need my man: "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." Yeah..... that about.....sums up this thread.

-J

I love TTK :wub: . Hes got style. He know how to write English very well.......Hes got balls and he knows how to write in an entertaining and forceful manner.......so as to place his oponent off balance and his style is unmistakable. TTK is a (destructive?) genius....

Gran, I don't think the Old Bugger is into guys.

But then again, who really knows....?

Jumbie, if you'll forgive me, this is one of the most "out there" posts I have ever read in any forum.

Well, I may be biased but I don't particularly see what's so "out there" about it. As I believe I've previously mentioned, I've been on many forums over the years and never come across this style before RWG and RWI earlier this year.

I would love to get into your mind to see what prompted you to write this, or no wait, let's back up, the sequence of logical thoughts that made you arrive at the conclusion that any member's "writing" is being imitated (the who, the whaa, the where?), instead of being merely a coincidence -- and a common one at that.

Nothing was in my mind except the observation that I'd never seen this particular syntax(?) before.

I presume you saw a post by Lanikai, who frequently uses ellipses, and jumped to the dastardly conclusion that he was "copying" another member? Is this it?

No one in particular. Various members rather. Again, given that I've never seen this used across previous forums I've visited (and continue to visit), yet it appears to be quite common on here I postulated that there is some form if copycatting happening.

Or have you never read a Virginia Woolf novel...who made stream-of-consciousness...de rigueur...for any 20th century novelist...who followed her...because it sounded...deep?

Nope, I never have.

Oh...right. Sorry, thought it was a genuine member.

Huh? If you're referring to me, I don't believe I've ever trolled any forum I've ever been on. This post certainly wasn't made for the purposes of stirring up a reaction. Besides a couple of other "out there" posts I've made in Off Topic, if you view my other postings I'd like to think I was a somewhat contributing member as much as I could be given my newbie status to the replica watch world.

In the last few months though, moving and doing 15-hour days during surgery rotations (+26 to 30 hours of on call every 4 days) hasn't made for much online playtime. Sleep has suddenly become a very, very valuable commodity and I only check in here every now and then to see what's going on. Not much time to post but venturing into Off Topic and seeing this post dragged up again "forced it out of me".

So I'm reading RWG and Jumbie says stop writing like TTK and I say OK fine, but I have to write like someone, someone other than me. So who are you going to write like, Jumbie says. I say, I don't know, but maybe I'll start writing like Jumbie. So Jumbie says can't you be a little more interesting? Literary, he says. He says, then we can discuss the finer points of grammar, and I say fine but I say nobody knows who writes like this and then I say since this is a watch forum not Introduction to World Literature, I say, so who cares who writes like who, says I