When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

help with watch id, gavin newsome at SF pride...

longshot

I think vbarrett having only joined in the last week should be allowed more time to decide if he wishes to subscribe to our forum, I seriously doubt any of us contributed within our first week.

Ken

ken

i started this thread with watch content. while gavin newsom may not be as well known around the world as he is in california, a quick google search would have given context. that happens to me all the time when the european members post about footballers. it also happens to me all the time on the formula 1 section on BBC 606.

the young mayor has been photographed wearing a base pam, a ti pam, and a gold FM. so he is obviously something of a watch aficionado.

instead my thread gets hijacked by homophobes?

i was very curious as to what that watch was. it seems to be ok to ask about watches in obscure television shows, but asking about a watch i saw leads to homophobia and gay bashing?

i am not upset about homophobia because my sister is gay. i am upset about it because it

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see many woman here perhaps due to the same type of reactions.

P.S. Newsom attracted a large amount of attention across the US and other countries when he challenged the Feds by allowing gay marriage in San Francisco. Love him or hate him he is politically noteworthy, at least in the the US.

Cheers!

I have to say that as a woman here, I have never had the least sniffy reaction directed at me personally.

On the contrary, no one, until this very moment, has ever mentioned my newbie status negatively, or made my sex an issue. I'm happy to say that that is the case even when I'm playing such (ironically, gay-centric) sports as tennis or golf, despite the idea that men feel their noses out of joint, when women are around.

It puts me to mind that if you are a sensitive, or an easily-insulted type of person, you'll always find some casual remark to be insulting. And by the good Lord's blessing, I wasn't born that way.

To quote the great-late, Greta Garbo (Patek-collector):

"Comrades: Don't make an issue of my womanhood."

Obviously there is nothing wrong with people that are homosexual :)

Certainly some of us are a little "homophobic"....but its just because we are a little unsecure about our own sexuality ;)

Lets have an open mind...we like people that like watches regardless of their sexual preferences (with some obvious exeptions of bthose that are illegal and despicable....)

Regards

Gunnar Freud :)

Homophobic you may not be, but a snob and a bully you are.

i am a snob because i support this forum financially? and because i expect others to? if it was not for people like me it would not be here for you to read.

and a bully because i object to intolerance?

you chose to use an offensive term towards gays and lesbian and their friends.

couch it in any pseudo polite terms you wish, now, after the fact. but facts are facts and you said what you said.

i do support this forum financially. you don't. maybe someday you will. maybe not.

none of this can possibly be in dispute.

it's certainly possible to be an intolerant boor in six languages...

you chose to use an offensive term towards gays and lesbian and their friends.

couch it in any pseudo polite terms you wish, now. but facts are facts and you said what you said.

i am far from a snob or a bully. i do support this forum financially. you don't. maybe someday you will. maybe not.

none of those facts are in dispute.

it's certainly possible to be an intolerant boor in six languages...

Perhaps I should explain, since maybe Portuguese is not in your lexicon of tongues.

GLS is a term USED BY gays, lesbians, and sympathisers in Brazil, for THEMSELVES. There is NOTHING offensive about it, unless you happen to think being called a sympathiser is offensive in YOUR language.

And for that little conundrum, there is no cure.

You are absolutely determined to find insults where none are aimed, or meant, and in fact, I rather suspect you started this thread to try to worm out this kind of reaction, which you secretly suspected some might espouse if prodded.

If I am wrong, I am wrong and I apologise. But I don't think I am.

I live near Brighton and therefore see gay pride occuring in what is as far as I know, the gay capital of England?

I have never understood why being gay is celebrated (and this isn't meant to come across wrongly), purely that I cannot imagine celebrating being straight!

I live near Brighton and therefore see gay pride occuring in what is as far as I know, the gay capital of England?

I'm British, so yes, I can confirm that Brighton is indeed the gay capital of England.

In fact, and bear with me, but "Brighton-and-Hove" is often referred to BY GAY PEOPLE IN BRITAIN, as "Soddom and Gomorrah".

I find such an attitude of self-deprecation not only refreshing, but alas, preciously, uniquely British. And that makes me proud, actually. :)

P.S.: Can anyone tell me what watch Ann Widdecombe is wearing in this portrait?

http://www.junemendoza.co.uk/image/ptcs-anne_widdecombe.jpg

*ggg*

Perhaps I should explain, since maybe Portuguese is not in your lexicon of tongues.

GLS is a term USED BY gays, lesbians, and sympathisers in Brazil, for THEMSELVES. There is NOTHING offensive about it, unless you happen to think being called a sympathiser is offensive in YOUR language.

And for that little conundrum, there is no cure.

You are absolutely determined to find insults where none are aimed, or meant, and in fact, I rather suspect you started this thread to try to worm out this kind of reaction, which you secretly suspected some might espouse if prodded.

If I am wrong, I am wrong and I apologise. But I don't think I am.

and gays i know call each other fag. and african americans use the 'n word' towards each other all the time.

i don't.

you, being terminally clueless, evidently cannot see why i started this thread?

i saw someone who is a public figure and a known watch aficionado wearing watch i didn't recognize and was curious as to what it was.

very simple really.

or is english, or common sense, not in your lexicon?

and gays i know call each other fag. and african americans use the 'n word' towards each other all the time.

i don't.

you, being terminally clueless, evidently cannot see why i started this thread?

i saw someone who is a public figure and a known watch aficionado wearing watch i didn't recognize and was curious as to what it was.

very simple really.

or is english, or common sense, not in your lexicon?

1) There is nothing remotely insulting about "GLS", MOST especially as compared to that slur word against male homosexuals or the n-word. Nothing. Not when used for themselves, not when used for others.

You are absolutely determined to find an insult where none was meant. So be it. You have your personality, and now we know a part of it.

2) I'm glad you mentioned that. Having a spot of bother about Ann Widdecombe's watch, seen here:

http://www.junemendoza.co.uk/image/ptcs-anne_widdecombe.jpg

Perhaps you can help me out. What? Never heard of her. But of course you have. Googleisyourfriend!

You are absolutely determined to find an insult where none was meant. So be it. You have your personality, and now we know a part of it.

what is it with pretentious overweight british women with too many cats and the royal 'we'?

a tiresome stereotype. shameful that's so often true...

what is it with pretentious overweight british women with too many cats and the royal 'we'?

a tiresome stereotype. shameful that's so often true...

Nope. Sorry. Didn't understand a word, and Babelfish doesn't have a translator for the language, "Weak Lame & Touchy".

I hope you're wrong about me. Sorry if you were offended.

My best friend came out of the closet and I have many other friends who are gay, including one who lives in your neck of the woods (Bay Area). I relate to people on an individual level. However, I don't believe that most people in the world are gay, or that being gay is anything but an alternative lifestyle, as it goes against what I perceive to be the teleological perpetuation of our species. I do, however, accept that it's a lifestyle that people either choose, or that it's a product of nurture, or that they are biologically predisposed to it (nature). I would hope that I'm entitled to my own opinion, just as you are to yours.

Being in San Francisco, I suspect that you are surrounded by an environment that fully embraces gay culture and represents it as a "normal" alternative lifestyle, so you are more aware of it than perhaps others around the world. Where I live, we don't have anything called "Pride," of which I'm aware. Defining gay culture as "normal" would be tantamount to what Patrick Moynihan would refer to as "defining deviancy down." I may be wrong but I don't think it's normal at all, but unusual. So as regards your sensitivity, let one thing be clear: I have no moral problem with homosexuality and couldn't care less if someone is gay or not. Not everyone lives in a place where this lifestyle is a major sociological issue.

of perhaps you are a closed minded bigot?

hmmmmmmmmm, "fringe group"? do you live in a cave with the other homophobes and football hooligans?

or you don't read newspapers or watch television?

lets look at some attendance figures for some pride parades this year:

Rio, Sao Paulo: 2,500,000

Chicago: 400,000

Rome: 100,000

Toronto: 400.000

San Francisco: 60,000

Berlin: 500,000

London: 250,000

Sydney: 65,000

here is a list of some of the almost 200 cities where events will be held this year:

http://www.interpride.org/12/default.aspx?c=12

yup, you really have to be a "sympathizer" or deep into gay and lesbian culture to know this is all happening. they do such a good job of keeping it a secret :bangin:

I have never understood why being gay is celebrated (and this isn't meant to come across wrongly), purely that I cannot imagine celebrating being straight!

I think gays justify these types of events claiming they have been 'persecuted' and 'discriminated against' throughout history. It's sort of like initiatives against cancer some hospitals hold where they have rallies with individuals supporting more aid in cancer research. I suppose pride is the same deal except with AIDS.

I usually stay home when this stuff is going on... I don't wanna catch anything...

Back to the original question...damn this got off topic and went to hell in a handbasket, huh?

I think it might be the Cartier Must 21 Chronoscaph. Look at the shiny metal inserts in the rubber bracelet. What do you all think?

****Actually I take that back, after looking at it. It has no Chronos and has a notch out of the band.****

post-3064-1182730293_thumb.jpg

For the record I am a gay member of this forum and gay issues are not a theoretical or semantic nicety.

In the U.S. there are blatantly discriminatory laws that have a direct impact in my life. The government does not recognize my partner and myself, we are like two strangers living under one roof. Please try to imagine what sort of complications this causes.

I just got back from watching the gay pride parade here in Chicago. Once a year gays take over the street and march to show that we exist in every imaginable walk of life - doctors, lawyers, union trades, government, corporate. We are your neighbors and co-workers. Like it or not, we are a part of and contribute to society.

People who make deragotory remarks about gay people and their sympathizers, well, I'm not going to say but you know what I'm thinking.

As for Newsom's watch, looks like a Seiko almost. He should go back to Pams.

Wow... This thread took a rather nasty turn.

For the record... A person's race, religion or sexual orientation makes no difference to me. Life is short. Too short to worry or concern myself about what so-and-so's personal preferences are. If someone chooses to live life in a certain manner that happens to differ from mine, so be it. If it makes them happy and doesn't bother or impact me, what does it matter?

We are all here for a common interest. And, perhaps along the way we can make new friends with the same interests who can help broaden our lives and perspectives on things.

For the record I am a gay member of this forum and gay issues are not a theoretical or semantic nicety.

In the U.S. there are blatantly discriminatory laws that have a direct impact in my life. The government does not recognize my partner and myself, we are like two strangers living under one roof. Please try to imagine what sort of complications this causes.

I just got back from watching the gay pride parade here in Chicago. Once a year gays take over the street and march to show that we exist in every imaginable walk of life - doctors, lawyers, union trades, government, corporate. We are your neighbors and co-workers. Like it or not, we are a part of and contribute to society.

People who make deragotory remarks about gay people and their sympathizers, well, I'm not going to say but you know what I'm thinking.

As for Newsom's watch, looks like a Seiko almost. He should go back to Pams.

I agree with most of your comments, but believe (and may be mistaken) there are a few states in the US that recognize either gay marriage or civil unions. Having a close friend who is gay, I can really appreciate the challenges gays face in society from every angle. BTW, I certainly hope that my earlier comments were not misinterpreted by any of the gay members of this forum.

First and foremost.....I'd like to point out that I'm not 'homophobic'......I have no phobias ( fears ) in regard to homosexuals.....but I certainly can't see where the pride is in celebrating 'deviant' behaviour........whether or not you subscribe to the theory of evolution or believe in Creationism......I know for certain that my 1/2 pounder wasn't meant to be poking another man's dinner via his chemical waste pipe.......as for lesbianism.....well....I see that more as a political movement...... and asking me to accept homosexuality as a 'norm' is akin to asking me to suscribe to a movement which is dedicated to nihilism....!

Edited by TTK

Maybe its high time for us to start celebrating heterosexual sexuality big time :lol: wonder if that would offend someone as well?

In this evermore 'Politcally Correct' world, I can imagine celebrating anything could cause offence to a certain class or group in our society. Here's to being heterosexual!

I say celebrate how you like, but it seems that people seem to take offence to certain comments far too easily in this day and age (not aimed at anyone here, just an observation in general)

my 1/2 pounder

I knew there was a reason I always prefered Wendy's. ;)

By the way, to yank this thread from the cesspool of bile, and in line with the Alberto Santos-Dumont post earlier, which watches were worn by famous men and women? I'll start it off with:

Rudolph Valentino -- Cartier Tank.

He, as most of us watch-lovers know, popularised the trend (previously considered for women only, and therefore for men, a sign of effeminacy) of men wearing wristwatches. It started with World War I, but it didn't catch on until he was seen everywhere with his Tank.

ken

i started this thread with watch content. while gavin newsom may not be as well known around the world as he is in california, a quick google search would have given context. that happens to me all the time when the european members post about footballers. it also happens to me all the time on the formula 1 section on BBC 606.

the young mayor has been photographed wearing a base pam, a ti pam, and a gold FM. so he is obviously something of a watch aficionado.

instead my thread gets hijacked by homophobes?

i was very curious as to what that watch was. it seems to be ok to ask about watches in obscure television shows, but asking about a watch i saw leads to homophobia and gay bashing?

i am not upset about homophobia because my sister is gay. i am upset about it because it

The analogy between "homophobia" (silly word) and racism os irrational. A person's race is an intrinsic, biologically based state. Homosexuality is a form of behavior. It is not bigoted to disapprove of a person's behavior.

Warburg, I'm just a newbie, and somehow my words were what inflamed this thread into something which were not intended.

Even so, I'd like to ask, no to plead with people for this thread not to descend further than what it has, by posting our opinions about homosexuality (or politics, religion, anything outside of the context of rep watches).

If we do, it could be visceral, never-ending, and frankly, silly.

There is, although I haven't checked because I have never found a need to chat OT on a forum before, an "Off Topic" area on this site, yes?

I suggest that if we want to discuss these contentious topics, that we do so there. We're here mostly to have fun. Let's do so. :)