When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Water Resistance Ratings my ass

gran

It is now summer time and we should all be aware of the following facts according to different sources

The term "waterproof" was discontinued starting in the late 1960's. "Waterproof" was considered to have misrepresented the products as more capable of preventing the entry of water under normal use circumstances than they were actually capable of. Specifically, diving-type watches never have been completely 'proof' of water entry under normal use and within the stated depth ratings. The seals that keep water out are not completely impervious and their effectiveness can be reduced over time with age, deterioration, and exposure to chemicals.

The term "water resistant" is now used to describe such watches. There are no technical differences between a waterproof watch and a water resistant watch--they use the exact same methods and technologies to keep water out. The difference is only in what term was considered to appropriate to describe it at the time it was made.

The Water Resistant mark is a common mark stamped on the back of wrist watches. It is usually accompanied by a rating in terms of meters or feet of pressure which the device is supposedly able to resist.

The "Water Resistant" mark has come to replace the "Water Proof" and is now described by two ISO Standards: ISO 2281 "Horology - Water-resistant Watches" and ISO 6425 "Divers

So what about our SOSF that are supposed to be nicely water resistant?

Water resistance on a rep is a crap shoot. Testing to 5 ATM means you can get it wet with a reasonable amount of confidence...but little else. Now, there are those here who will tell stories of diving to depths with reps etc.....the fact is that a truly reliable diving watch, like a Seiko Diver, is engineered and manufactured to far better tolerances than a standard replica of diving watch like a Sub or a Pam. This doesnt mean a replica diving watch with greased seals and o-rings can't be used underwater...it just means that the chances you are going to emerge from the surf with a fogged crystal some day are far greater with a replica. Like walking a tightrope, it only takes one mistake to ruin your day.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I have a genuine SMP chrono that I won't get near the shower!!!! My history with "water resistant" genuines has been spotty enough that I keep any watch of value high and dry. My water watch is a $150 Seiko....bullet proof and very replaceable.

A great post can this be pinned somewere like the knowledge base, i have spent ages trying to explain the difference to people about depth ratings on watches, if i could always find this i would just print it out and give it too them.

By the way i test my watches at the local pool once they have survived hand washing and showers, 3m board, into the 3.5m pool, if it survives that i am happy, so far all my sport dive watches (except my Fiddy) but including railmaster and Aqua terra have survived.

I wonder what truly determines that. Gasket thickness? Fresh silicon grease? Triple-lock crown as opposed to single or double? No pushers? Concave/convex lens vs. flat?

The only reason I ask is I've gone diving in my SMP chrono (rep)--down to almost 100 ft, at least once a month since I bought it last year--without a hitch. Mind you, on all my sports models, I make sure the crystals are pressed tight myself, remove the case-back, stem, & movement, and grease all the gaskets & seals, then wrap it back up tighter than Tom Thumb's ass. I also go board diving at home on almost a daily basis (cannon-balls and all) with my Sub LV from Andrew and have never had a problem either.

I highly recommend everyone doing the same and regular pressure tests for assurance, if you're going near water. Since I sold my Bergeon tester to a member here, I have to have someone else perform them now, but it only costs $10 & 10 minutes; and even as much as I swim, I only test them once or twice a year--tops. The newer models are much tougher than most people give them credit for & definitely worlds ahead of what they were even 2 or 3 years ago. But I wouldn't try them untreated, straight from the box.

I agree, the proper care can render most watches reasonably water resistant. I regularly scuba dive with my 16610 sub rep. Every couple of dives i check and re grease the case back and crown/stem seals. I have been maintaining it in this way and using it as my regular diving companion and I have never had a problem with it. To reference a previous post, I don't understand why someone would not trust the water resistance of a genuine SMP Chrono. I have one of these (the gen.) and it is a very solid and well made watch. It is actually one of the few chronographs on which the chrono pushers can be used at depth with no sacrifice to water resistance. To the person who will not take his SMP near the shower, he is either lying and it is a very dodgy rep, or he is just paranoid, go take it diving thats what it is made for.

I agree, the proper care can render most watches reasonably water resistant. I regularly scuba dive with my 16610 sub rep. Every couple of dives i check and re grease the case back and crown/stem seals. I have been maintaining it in this way and using it as my regular diving companion and I have never had a problem with it. To reference a previous post, I don't understand why someone would not trust the water resistance of a genuine SMP Chrono. I have one of these (the gen.) and it is a very solid and well made watch. It is actually one of the few chronographs on which the chrono pushers can be used at depth with no sacrifice to water resistance. To the person who will not take his SMP near the shower, he is either lying and it is a very dodgy rep, or he is just paranoid, go take it diving thats what it is made for.

Oh I grant you...I'm very paranoid...but that doesn't mean people aren't out to get me!

My genuine SMP chrono is an anniversary present from my wife. I'm not going to risk a lifetime of "I told you so" by wearing it in water.

Besides, I have a friend who has lost TWO Sea-Dwellers in the ocean over the years while surfing....both to major wipeouts. He believes the $0.20 springbars in his $4000 watches were the weak links!!!

As they say in the classic car biz...some cars are driven...some are trailer queens.... My watches...my very good watches... are not for wearing into battle no matter how armor plated they are. They are jewelry to me. If I need to know what time it is while I'm immersed in water, I'll wear something that cost $150, not $2500. That just makes sense to me.

I was wearing my RWG watch on my way to work today when its started pouring dogs and cats (= raining heavily)..I was baiking and biking pretty fast too

Now my watch has started fogging up :thumbdown: ...it even has a screw in crown :blink: ..how did the moisture get in there?????????????????...did I wash my hands too well?????..It is unbeleivable...water resistant my ass.....I wonder what I can do now :wounded1:

I have the crown open and hope my body heat will make the water evaporate...crasy :animal_rooster:

271437-3511.jpg

Edited by Gunnar Gran

I was wearing my RWG watch...

Well you said it.. The RWG watch.. a watch that I bet has been assembled by blind monkeys not even chinese servants for cost saving somewhere in 'Getthemoneyandrunfast' land :black_eye:

Well you said it.. The RWG watch.. a watch that I bet has been assembled by blind monkeys not even chinese servants for cost saving somewhere in 'Getthemoneyandrunfast' land :black_eye:

Thank you for that kind and instuctive helping hand in time of distress V :bangin:

BTW I like primates

Thank you for that kind and instuctive helping hand in time of distress V :bangin:

BTW I like primates

Sorry if I was a bit harsh.. :(

Well back in a costructive discussion, if you remove the back and blow dry the movement I am sure it will help more than just waiting with the crown open especially when the weather is not hot..

I was wearing my RWG watch on my way to work today when its started pouring dogs and cats (= raining heavily)..I was baiking and biking pretty fast too

Now my watch has started fogging up :thumbdown: ...it even has a screw in crown :blink: ..how did the moisture get in there?????????????????...did I wash my hands too well?????..It is unbeleivable...water resistant my ass.....I wonder what I can do now :wounded1:

I have the crown open and hope my body heat will make the water evaporate...crasy :animal_rooster:

271478-3502.jpg

Open crown usually won't do it alone. Get yourself one of these:

http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com/index.asp?cat=173068

After 30 minutes with the lid on (crown open), it'll be dry as a bone.

271478-3503.jpg

@gioarmani

@ubiquitous

@V

Thank you for the feedback..i will get it dry

I have the possibility to place the watch in a close to a vaccum...I have a vacum pump....would that do? or is it dangerous..will the oil evaporate also :g:

Get this watch for ultimate watch water resistance

271490-3494.jpg

271490-3495.jpg

271490-3496.jpg

271490-3497.jpg

OK! OK!

I am on my way to the watch store........what was the price of that ORIS again?