When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My fellow freaks.. strap freaks.. I need your opinion

V

I got Angus kevlar strap today from fishgodeep to see if I like it to order one.. First of all thank him very much and in public.

Well my feelings were divided.. First I didn;t liked the kevlar strap.. it is quite stiff and not very nice with my historics Pams..

Although I thought that the buckle could be huge and very uncomfortable to wear. I was wrong..

SO I decided to spend some time this morning and make 2 straps to fit the buckle.

I need you opinion if you think they look good on my 112 or not :)

First one is an Italian soft black strap with folded leather on the end to slip easily through the buckle.

The second one is the Greek hide single sided.. and unstitched to remind the Nato straps...

Both are extremely soft and comfortable to wear... I am listening to your opinions :)

275715-2555.jpg

275715-2556.jpg

275715-2556.jpg

275715-2558.jpg

275715-2559.jpg

275715-2560.jpg

275715-2561.jpg

275715-2562.jpg

275715-2563.jpg

275715-2564.jpg

275715-2565.jpg

Both look nice, but of the 2 I like the black one better (now), once the other is aged it will look better than the black one. :) Where'd you get the buckle? :mellow:

I agree with what you said.. Some how I think that the white stitching on the black strap doesn't do it justice.. I maybe change it to something different.

The buckle (and the kevlar strap) is available from Angus/Puretime..

hmm...to be honest i think they both look good in their own way....

i agree with willith -- the tan strap will continue to look better once it ages a bit. however, for some reason i feel like the black strap works better with the big buckle -- maybe b/c it originally came on a black kevlar strap & it feels like more of a utilitarian buckle (or something like that ;) )....

either way, i think it's worth keeping the buckle :victory:

just don't let delaurian know you're using his "PATENTED EASY GLIDE SYSTEM" :ph34r:

deltatahoe

hmm...to be honest i think they both look good in their own way....

i agree with willith -- the tan strap will continue to look better once it ages a bit. however, for some reason i feel like the black strap works better with the big buckle -- maybe b/c it originally came on a black kevlar strap & it feels like more of a utilitarian buckle (or something like that ;) )....

either way, i think it's worth keeping the buckle :victory:

just don't let delaurian know you're using his "PATENTED EASY GLIDE SYSTEM" :ph34r:

deltatahoe

Thanks my friend.. I don't know how the vintage tan strap looks with the contemporary look of the buckle..

I too believe the black one looks better but now that i am thinking it I don;t liek the white stitching... Maybe I have to put a different colour like red for example...

Ok easy glide deleted and not it is called folded leather :p

Sorry.....no....the black looks like plastic......and the tan looks as tho' it was cut from a vinyl sofa....... the buckle is way too clumsy for a 44mm Panerai....ergonomically unsuited to the watch....JMHO....but I'm right.....!

Must say i agree whit what TTK said about the buckle but the straps looks good.

Cheers

Hmm...I'm afraid I'll have to second that..........tan strap looks wrong with that buckle, not too sure about the black one either, both look like nice straps though, especially the tan one once it's aged a bit; personally think that buckle only really suits the submersibles, based as it is on the 'form follows function' school of design, which I like. Having said that, next watch on my list is a Slytech.........to which I plan to fit a horned gator strap and tang buckle..........

prof

Remake the tan strap in black, make it shorter, replace the buckle, and you are in.

I'll vote for the black strap, with black stitching.

The tan is a classic and it's best with a sewn in buckle IMHO.

If it's me I'll keep the kevlar with this buckle and leather straps with a nice sewn in buckle :)

Another vote for the black, but in grey stitching if you can.

(V, is that the famous Greek leather you got after searching for a hide for a while? The strap in the other pics looked so much better! ...or is it from the Ferrari?)

The black strap is ok, nothing special, but the tan strap is a homerun, as well as the buckle.

I decided that although this buckle is a MUST HAVE for every Sub Pam, it is not looking very good with my historic 112.

So I will send it back to my friend Simon.

The black strap looks OK.. the tan is destined to be made into something vintage.

I decided that although this buckle is a MUST HAVE for every Sub Pam, it is not looking very good with my historic 112.

So I will send it back to my friend Simon.

The black strap looks OK.. the tan is destined to be made into something vintage.

V ...as always superb craftsmanship and excellent photos.

I actually like the tapered end on the black strap regadless....fits with the contemporary sticthing and a classic buckle would look very nice

The dive buckle is not right for an historic PAM ...this is the right call IMHO, certainly not for day wear.

I do think the Kevlar with this buckle is a "classier" looking alternative to rubber and if you are "aqua active" (I wanted to avoid "into water sports" !) its a sound option.

I'm just really looking to receiving the exquisite Greek hide strap and giving it some wrist time to get that patina going!!!!!

Cheers

Simon

@ Kostas

....just to give my 0.02$ or add some salt to the soup:

The black color is better for the buckle, white stitch is not what it suites right (I share your opinion), a grey stitch will loke better....if you can find a nicer leather (something with a nice texture) it will look more like a divers strap.

I don

But, for what it is worth, in my (not very) humble opinion, the tan strap is best... and can only get better with time.

Yeah...unlike you Clive......I think it'll look best when we can carbon date it...........the tan one looks like it's been stitched with a Hilti gun........!

It seems to me that any old Joe can wander into B&Q....buy a disposable box cutter.....a 4" nail and a piece of string....find a dead dog as a result of roadkill.....skin it........et voila 80p later he's a watch strapmaker......nay.....an artisan even.....duh.......!

Whilst it may hold the watch on your wrist.......what's your Mum going to say when she sees the sofa......it'll be no sweets or comics for a week.....!

Edited by TTK