When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

David Blaine sphere in NYC

Donk

post-181-1146673054_thumb.jpgpost-181-1146672785_thumb.jpg

Spent the last week in NYC and stopped by Lincoln Center where street magician David Blaine is submerged in a sphere of water for a week. He had his hands out and assistants working with them. It'll be interesting to see the finale next week when he tries to hold his breath for 9 minutes.

Only had my cell phone with me for the shots but had to try and get my Exp II in one of them.

Gotta love the NYC because there's always something going on but we ready to come home.

post-181-1146673080_thumb.jpg Had this one on my cell phone, too. Austin, TX. My 063 on SS and the bat colony heading out at dusk. I believe the population is around 750K under Congress St. bridge this time of year. By the fall it will double.

I really need to start carrying my digital camera with me.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would hate to live in the water for a week totally submerged. I'm sure sleeping is a bit of a challenge, but he does have an air hose and I saw him wearing a mask part of the time too, so that would help with sleeping and keep water out of his nose. ;)

Well, he made it 7:08. Did you see what his hands and feet looked like? Ugh.

Of course not - I was watching "24"

but, during a commercial I did notice that when he blinked his eyes, no bubbles rose from his eye area or anywhere else on his face.

Am I saying it was a trick?

Of course it was a trick - that's what he does, and he's the BEST at what he does!

I don't think he suceeded in breaking the world record for holding his breath... he blacked out....

Yeh it all ended in tears...divers had to pull him out when he was struggling to get the chains off his feet. To be honest...it was a big ask to break the world record while removing chains from your hands and feet!

Jon

Didn't actually watch it, but I would have to say it's pretty amazing to hold your breath for that long... Interesting thing that I saw on wikipedia though, check it out below.

Before the stunt, Mark Harris of the British Free Diving Association spoke out, saying that Blaine would have an unfair advantage.

"[since]he will be breathing compressed air under water... he will have a much higher concentration of oxygen molecules... in competitive freediving, we are positively banned from breathing pure oxygen before the event."

Even if Blaine had succeeded in holding his breath for more than eight minutes and fifty-eight seconds, the feat would not have been officially recognized as a new world record. This is due to the fact that judges from the International Association for the Development of Apnea (IADA) would have had to be present to verify that Blaine breathed no pure oxygen for at least two hours prior to beginning his attempt at the world record. The world record for holding one's breath after having breathed pure oxygen is actually closer to fifteen minutes.

wikipedia link