When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breguet Real Tourbillon

Corgi

Hello friends,

I was browsing through Josh's site today when I found a watch that really spoke to me. I noticed another member on the forum had purchased something similar and provided us with excellent photos of it, and now I would like to get it for myself.

My only concern is the quality. I have heard some people say that these Chinese tourbillons last about 6 months before dying. I would like mine to last a little longer than that!

What do you think? Is this watch a winner, or can you recommend something more reliable (tourby) around that price range?

281286-62.jpg

281286-63.jpg

281286-64.jpg

281286-65.jpg

Specifications:

BR10018 WG Jubilee Tourbillon ( Real Toubillon Movement )

Model : 18K WG Plated Case, White Guilloche Dial, Roman Markers on Leather Strap with Insignia Deployant Clasp and Buckle

Movement: Flying Tourbillon Movement

Functions:

Hours, Minutes, Seconds

Dimensions : Dia 39mm x 8mm Thk

Material : 1 piece forged case construction, solid 316 stainless steel , 18K Thick WG Plating.. 5 mils

Back : Display Caseback

Crown : One-piece Pull down crown with o ring

Crystal: Sapphire crystal front and back

Water-resistant (?)

Price of genuine: Approx. US $90,000

$568

I look forward to your replies,

Thanks!

C

Hi Corgi,

I love Tourbillon watches too, and that real (chinese) Tourbi is very sexy. It's the cheapest I saw around, as most sell over 700 (I would love a Vacheron at 900 !)

But I'm wondering : how reliable are these movements, and especially who will repair/service the thing ? It's very unusual and it's not the kind of watch you throw away once it stopped : you try to have it maintained.

For the specific model you mention, I would not buy it as the marking Swiss Guilloche is wrong : the first letter is anything but a G.

I know, that's nothing... But for the price it should be perfect, I mean qualitywise.

Hello friends,

I was browsing through Josh's site today when I found a watch that really spoke to me. I noticed another member on the forum had purchased something similar and provided us with excellent photos of it, and now I would like to get it for myself.

My only concern is the quality. I have heard some people say that these Chinese tourbillons last about 6 months before dying. I would like mine to last a little longer than that!

Corgi, you have fantastic taste. I can't offer you advice on your question, but your concern is what has kept me from buying one of Trusty's or Josh's Breguets. I can deal with throwing away $120...but not $600+.

Every since I was little, when I saw my grandfather wearing one, I have wanted a Breguet Tourbillon. I think they are the ne plus ultra of the watch world, and obviously, come with that kind of pricetag. So I bought the next best thing from one of our collectors, here. Turns out another dealer whose site is bandied about lately had it for half what I paid, but I'd rather have someone of confidence here, than anywhere else.

This is the Breguet 1801. I had originally wanted it in gold as I think gold is more feminine, but perhaps the silver is more authentic. And the rep is very close.

281310-28.jpg

Thanks for the advice, and good catch on the "Guilloche" (Quilloche? Ouilloche? :-))

I was wondering if maybe The Zigmeister could comment on the quality of the movement itself...?

Also, vbarret, from whom did you purchase that 1801 rep??

Also, vbarret, from whom did you purchase that 1801 rep??

Call me Victoria, please. vbarrett sounds like I'm in boarding school again. :p

Corgi, is it allowed to mention the collector's name publicly?

Or if I give you the hint that he's currently travelling in Asia, and is a UK-based collector -- will that suffice? PM, if not! I'll gladly enlighten you further, and may I just say that though I haven't as yet received my Breguet 1801, the transaction was superb.

Pug, if I should get it neutral, I would go for one on ebay, you can have them for around 300-400 dollars, with a warranty.

I'd also be interested in the reliability of the movement anf if The Zigmeister worked on it already.

Ouilloche sounds funny in French... ^_^

Yes Victoria, I know who you are referring to... his version of the watch is not a real tourbillon. It is merely an exposed flywheel, or 'retrogating tourbillon' if you will. Essentially it's an imitation-tourbillon (once again if I am thinking of who you are referring to) It can be bought for less than $100 and, while very lovely, holds nothing compared to one of these authentic tourbillon movements.

The best way I can explain the difference is through film.

Imitation Retrogating Exposed-Flywheel "Tourbillonette"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xET_ZNbPqIo

Genuine Flying Tourbillon (same as pictured in the Breguet from Josh):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnkzX0yjt8...ted&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwB9MZ-94hw...ted&search=

A lot of watches use this movement... but that is not to say its reliable (just look at the Daytona seconds @ 6...). It is, however, more exclusive because of the high price of entry.

Yes Victoria, I know who you are referring to... his version of the watch is not a real tourbillon. It is merely an exposed flywheel, or 'retrogating tourbillon' if you will. Essentially it's an imitation-tourbillon (once again if I am thinking of who you are referring to) It can be bought for less than $100 and, while very lovely, holds nothing compared to one of these authentic tourbillon movements.

The best way I can explain the difference is through film.

No, no I did realise it was a faux-tourbillon (and in fact, mentioned it to that rep -- yes, you got who it was sans PM).

But I also did my homework, and if it looks like this faux-tourbillon, I'll be fine with one for $120 -- I would be devastated at $600+, if it brokedown in 6 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL_paPyKBKQ

Still, happy purchasing! If you can get a good one, from Josh, I'd go for it.

These later generation tourbillon watches are very reliable. The are much more reliable than the earlier generations (I know from painful experience). But I agree with some of the others, the tourbillon stands on it's own right. Don't buy a rep that everyone will know is a fake, buy the same watch as a noname and you will have an incredible watch for under $1000.

Regards.

These later generation tourbillon watches are very reliable. The are much more reliable than the earlier generations (I know from painful experience). But I agree with some of the others, the tourbillon stands on it's own right. Don't buy a rep that everyone will know is a fake, buy the same watch as a noname and you will have an incredible watch for under $1000.

Regards.

If anyone would know the answer to the question posted in this thread, it's addingwatch. I think he's owned all the generations...

Jeees........

If you like it, buy it

I have one (In Audemars Piguet incarnation) worn it all over the planet... took no special care of it as a daily beater...no problemo.

Incidentaly its the ONLY watch type that actually draws admiration and praise in the Far East

And although I can lay hands on them a tad cheaper than suggested here they are a great buy at these prices.

Edited by narikaa

Now here is a wacky idea - how about taking a no-name latest gen tourbi adding "RWG and making it a limited edition 5-10 piece RWG watch. :lol: Actually, I am not sure I am kidding. I know it would never happen but it would be pretty damn cool. It would be even cooler if we priced it at cost plus a donation to RWG. With all the money I have spent on reps (and I know there are others who have been as silly as me) it isn't as dumb as it sounds. ;)

Mmm... :g:

I read things recently which the older member surely all remember (I'm not one of those), and I'm not sure if having an RWG watch made is an easy step.

I would love to own a Tourbillon, for sure.

Personnally I prefer a neutral thing rather than some strange names you find on ebay for example, and which (according to your native language) sound odd : Robert, Samson, Carlos etc...

Hi Guys,

I have this watch, I have had mine for ~2 years, not a problem.. perfect time.

I feels and looks good on the wrist too.

It is a keeper, not for every day, but for a white shirt and silver tie day, blue/black slacks.... I slap it on from time to time :)

Cool to look at from to time and see her do her thing... clicking around.

Tommy

post-1859-1184412577_thumb.jpg

I'm holding out for a decent center tourby rep....Out oif all the big name brands I believe only blancpain and maybe chronoswiss use a carosel (or whatever it's called) tourby at the moment, and they're at 12:00.

After a closer look at the photos on Josh's site, I can confirm that indeed Guilloche appears misspelled with an "O" instead of a "G". I also assume this is why the watch costs only $568, while the Audemars Piguet Tourbillon housing the same movement and structure is $598. So it is a mistake that essentially means "free shipping," or at least one can imagine it that way.

I think the only consolation here is that so few people know what Breguet is, and even fewer know what a Guilloche is, that it's probably not such a big deal... the reason I like this watch so much is because it comes with a deployant. Straps sit very poorly on my wrist unless this important feature is added. Sadly, the AP uses a conventional buckle and will look awkward and "shifted" on me.

It's a really tough decision... I could spend the cash for the flash, but I could also get six "super affordables" or two-three "high end swiss made" watches instead. The tourbillon is an impressive complication indeed... but that unfortunate spelling mistake is the only tiny issue preventing me from getting the watch. At the same time, for about $300 more, I could buy the Vacheron Constantin Tourbillon... which has a power reserve and date... but still lacks the deployant as opposed to this entry-level model. They really, really screwed up with that misspelling... I'll give you that much.

Sorry I pointed this out... :mellow:

But you're right, it's unnoticeable with naked eyes...

Purchasing a new strap and a deployant is always possible, and that's what I would advise, as the rep straps are very bad to average in general.

This Breguet is a nice piece of watch, I love dressy, "old-fashion" timekeepers.

I agree on the Vacheron Constantin Tonneau Tourbillon, I find it simply gorgeous...but it's 950 dollars, not negociable (I tried) ... :black_eye:

281745-10994.jpg

If you have the cash and really want the watch, I think there's no point thinking you could afford 6 subs instead...What for ? :)