When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The First Ridiculous Panerai Moment

Victoria

Today, I went to an Italian restaurant wearing Andrew's PAM 111h on the newly arrived and always expensive PAM strap by Mario Paci, the Medici Noce, coincidentally today in Elliot's Monday specials.

So there I was, dressed well, looking slightly satisfied with myself because of the chicness of the PAM, when I realised one horrible truth about myself: I'm a klutz. Yes, no co-ordination here, at'all.

Always bumping my toe on something, slipping on stones, or when eating, dripping sauce all over myself necessitating the embarrassing use of a full napkin around my neck. *cringe*

Then with an inner scream which I'm sure others could hear, I realised, "I just ordered Penne with red sauce, EEK! I'll splatter this for miles". The Mario Paci would be ruined faster than you can say TeeJay's Guinea Pigs. So, surreptitiously, I slipped off my Panerai watch into my bag, but alas, the strap being so new it's still a bit tough to work the holes.

I struggled for a full minute with it, and then "borrowed" a fine cloth napkin to put it inside my handbag, hoping no one had noticed.

Needless-to-say, the couple near me did. Oh, they laughed at the crazy lady in the beige turtle-neck and black pants wearing a bib, with a ginormous watch on her wrist, putting it into her bag after five-finger discounting a ritzy napkin.

But since my watch is unbesmirched with "gravy", to use the word for ragu of my Neapolitan-American friends, I think the last laugh was with me myself and I.

Thus ended my first ridiculous Panerai moment. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with one. Anyone? Don't leave me hangin'... :brow:

:lol:

Nope... I think it's just you

:lol:

Hehe. And don't I remember a certain thread which my boyfriend pointed out, along these lines?

"Do you have sex with your watch on?"

That's ridiculous too! And mum's the word here. :whistling:

JK... great story :D

Thanks, swdivad. I'm delighted this South American couple will have an anecdote about that crazy gringa lady they'll retell for years. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

(Oh, and it's Tuesday Specials. I'm sure if you like the MP strap, Elliot will honour the price if you mention this "tomorrow")

Then with an inner scream which I'm sure others could hear, I realised, "I just ordered Penne with red sauce, EEK! I'll splatter this for miles". The Mario Paci would be ruined faster than you can say TeeJay's Guinea Pigs.

:lol: that was by far my favorite part of the story....

i'm sitting here trying to think of a ridiculous panerai story of my own but not having much luck :g:

hmm....i'll come back and edit this post when i think of one....

EDIT: ok here's a story....when i received my pam 212 (i had purchased it off another member on the trading forum), it had a really loose crown guard lever (this had been disclosed in the sales listing); however, i was so excited about getting the 212 that i just couldn't NOT wear it that very day. so i wore it to dinner at a friend's place that night before having a chance to fix the floppy lever problem, and literally every time i moved my hand the lever would shoot out perpendicular to the crown guard in the open position like a sword. my friends could care less about what watch i was wearing, and chances are they didn't even notice that it kept on happening, but it absolutely drove me nuts....i was constantly having to either flick my wrist the other way or push the lever back into the closed position, and i was SURE they were watching me thinking i was some kind of nutcase.

so that is my ridiculous panerai moment....unfortunately it's the best i could do...

deltatahoe

:lol: that was by far my favorite part of the story....

Which reminds me, deltatahoe! Thank God RWG is not an academic or politically correct setting, as the word guinea might've landed me in hot water...

I'm only half-joking! The pain, the pain of academia. :black_eye:

EDIT: ok here's a story....when i received my pam 212 (i had purchased it off another member on the trading forum), it had a really loose crown guard lever (this had been disclosed in the sales listing); however, i was so excited about getting the 212 that i just couldn't NOT wear it that very day. so i wore it to dinner at a friend's place that night before having a chance to fix the floppy lever problem,

Because it's humanly impossible not to wear something you just got. I think Newton has a Law about this.

and literally every time i moved my hand the lever would shoot out perpendicular to the crown guard in the open position like a sword.
That's totally my problem with Paul's mini-Fiddy! Argh, it's irritating.

my friends could care less about what watch i was wearing, and i'm sure they didn't even notice that it kept on happening, but it absolutely drove me nuts....i was constantly having to either flick my wrist the other way or push the lever back into the closed position, and i was SURE they were watching me thinking i was some kind of nutcase.

so that is my ridiculous panerai moment....unfortunately it's the best i could do...

HAHA. I would've laughed and pointed at you too! Crazy guy!

Hehe. And don't I remember a certain thread which my boyfriend pointed out, along these lines?

"Do you have sex with your watch on?"

That's ridiculous too! And mum's the word here. :whistling:

Thanks, swdivad. I'm delighted this South American couple will have an anecdote about that crazy gringa lady they'll retell for years. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

(Oh, and it's Tuesday Specials. I'm sure if you like the MP strap, Elliot will honour the price if you mention this "tomorrow")

Why is it everytime I read a thread of yours lately there is the mention of FOOD and not just substance to eat but a great menu ???? and i am assuming when you talk of "sex" it has to take at least 2 people for the act to be called _ _ _ .. just wanted to clarify that because it is soo stylish to at least wear your panerai when indulging in aerobic activity :whistling:

So you are in an Italian Restaurant and you take off your Panerai :animal_rooster: .. isn't that sort of sacriliges (sp?) I bet sssufer or Lello would never think of abandoning their PAMS for the sake of red sauce .... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now that i have had my fun ... i will probably run into a PAM moment so my logic with the MP straps is ... when i think i may mess up .. i wear the Toscana PAV and when all is right with the world and my coordination i think it safe to switch to the MP PAV...isn't this a bit off the wall thinking???

Dutchy wrote:

Hahah, hilarious stories, thanks for sharing!! smile.gif

I didn't even mention that I almost knocked down a wineglass, as I went to "get" the napkin! I'd have made a terrible 007. :o

You're man is a lucky one.

The one thing I mind about him, is that being Italian, he'll never go with me to an Italian restaurant! Because Italians always think it's a waste to spend so much money on something they can cook 10x better, at home. And they're right...

My wife never gives her jewelry or watches a thought. Now a stain on a Blahnik or Choo is a disaster.:lol:

Ooh, your wife is my mother. I am so totally not a shoe person.

(I'm a handbag/perfume gal, though, big time. I tried to have a look at Bergie's Belts in that section without success!)

Because it's humanly impossible not to wear something you just got. I think Newton has a Law about this.

That's totally my problem with Paul's mini-Fiddy! Argh, it's irritating.

HAHA. I would've laughed and pointed at you too! Crazy guy!

chewing gum may do the trick for the time being...a little pinch in the lever :rolleyes:

(Last reply before shutting down the computer!)

Why is it everytime I read a thread of yours lately there is the mention of FOOD and not just substance to eat but a great menu ????

Because (a) I don't know how to cook, so food is ever on my mind (where to go, what to order, how much it'll cost me working out later.... & ( b ) I go out to eat a lot, with friends and family! Woo. Wallet drain...

and i am assuming when you talk of "sex" it has to take at least 2 people for the act to be called _ _ _ .. just wanted to clarify that because it is soo stylish to at least wear your panerai when indulging in aerobic activity :whistling:
Did I mention I work out a lot these days? :whistling:

So you are in an Italian Restaurant and you take off your Panerai :animal_rooster: .. isn't that sort of sacriliges (sp?) I bet sssufer or Lello would never think of abandoning their PAMS for the sake of red sauce .... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm sure I have scandalised all the Panerai purists here since my arrival. Fancy 4 possibly 5 PAMs bought in one month. Why, Pannies are there to savour, slowly, to appreciate each detail in the fullness of time -- not to purchase them like a Maalox run to the chemists!

Now that i have had my fun ... i will probably run into a PAM moment so my logic with the MP straps is ... when i think i may mess up .. i wear the Toscana PAV and when all is right with the world and my coordination i think it safe to switch to the MP PAV...isn't this a bit off the wall thinking???

Not really. But then it seems we're both rather superstitious, lanikai. If I were a baseball player, I'd be as eccentric as Bill "The Spaceman" Lee. :animal_rooster:

(Last reply before shutting down the computer!)

Because (a) I don't know how to cook, so food is ever on my mind (where to go, what to order, how much it'll cost me working out later.... & ( b ) I go out to eat a lot, with friends and family! Woo. Wallet drain...

I know what you mean ... I don't have time to eat at home so every meal is OUT

Did I mention I work out a lot these days? :whistling:

OK... got me.. my gym time is a little different... it's actually spent in the gym.. so i can be on a seafood diet... i see food ... i eat it. :lol:

I'm sure I have scandalised all the Panerai purists here since my arrival. Fancy 4 possibly 5 PAMs bought in one month. Why, Pannies are there to savour, slowly, to appreciate each detail in the fullness of time -- not to purchase them like a Maalox run to the chemists!

Not really. But then it seems we're both rather superstitious, lanikai. If I were a baseball player, I'd be as eccentric as Bill "The Spaceman" Lee. :animal_rooster:

it has been nothing but fun since your arrival on this planet... and i am superstisious.. and that comes from my day's of baseball .. gotta wear certian colours on certain day's .. gotta wear my fiddy during certain times of the day etc., etc. :bangin::yu:

and as i write this all my auto movements are in their winders... i just like to watch them turn and turn and turn... i think i need an intervention again <_<

have a good evening and write some thing so i can be entertained again tomorrow.. thanks VB ;)

Edited by lanikai

I realised, "I just ordered Penne with red sauce, EEK! I'll splatter this for miles".

Hilarious tale, vbarrett.

But if you are really able to splatter sauce around just by eating penne rather than spaghetti or bucatini then yes, you have a bit of a problem there.

So you are in an Italian Restaurant and you take off your Panerai :animal_rooster: .. isn't that sort of sacriliges (sp?) I bet sssufer or Lello would never think of abandoning their PAMS for the sake of red sauce ....

Yes, I am scandalized. I rather use to carry two or three spare straps (and a proper screwdriver, naturally) to replace that that might get stained.

Waiters and other clients often have some puzzled looking at my bustling with the watch, straps, screws, and so between all the wines and dishes, but heck, who cares? It's for the sake of my PAM.

And no, unfortunately I have no ridicolous moments to tell. :D

I've never had a Pam moment but I have had an Omega one......

Way back after I had only been a part of this community for a few Months I had an BA 21j chrono, so in other words she looked pretty but the chrono's were just for show.

Now not to long after owing this watch the bottom pusher fell out and although I tried to source another it was to no avail.

So anyway one of the stores (Target dept store) that I visited regularly I was on rather good terms with the main security guard as he also shared a love of watches but mainly Seiko and Citizen and such.

So one day near closing time when staff are all walking out, I took my leave and stopped for a chat with the guard at the door and then for the very first time he noticed my watch and he literally called out "Hey this man is wearing an Omega!" and then as a small crowd started to gather to check my watch out he said "Isn't there suppose to be another button thing where that hole is?" :blush:

Ken

This didn't happen to me but as I was working in our restaurant I noticed a customer wearing a PAM and asked him if he was wearing a Panerai. He showed me the watch and it was the kind of, Thailand BAD Panerai rep I've ever seen.

I stood there and he's trying to tell me that it's a gen...as I pointed out that it can't be by telling him all the flaws (a lot) he just wouldn't give in that he had a rep...really at that moment his CG screw fell out!!! He just went speachless...I really felt sorry for that guy.

This didn't happen to me but as I was working in our restaurant I noticed a customer wearing a PAM and asked him if he was wearing a Panerai. He showed me the watch and it was the kind of, Thailand BAD Panerai rep I've ever seen.

I stood there and he's trying to tell me that it's a gen...as I pointed out that it can't be by telling him all the flaws (a lot) he just wouldn't give in that he had a rep...really at that moment his CG screw fell out!!! He just went speachless...I really felt sorry for that guy.

Aww, poor guy! You're so bad, Maikel. Can't you let a guy try to pull one over on you? Even once? ;)

Seriously, I fear getting called out by a PAM freak like you guys are. And that's because I would lie just like the guy in your restaurant, and say it's a rep. What can I say -- maybe with that attitude, I deserve to be called out on it.

P.S.: LOL, Kenberg.

"Not say it's a rep", I meant. Yeah, I'd lie -- with a straight face too. Or as my Spanish friends in SoFla say, "with a hard face".

Should you ever get called out, chances are that he's someone of us (even if personally I would never call anyone out).

In that case, try the secret 'Jetmid' word. Something like 'Oh, did Jetmid tell you that?'. Or 'Dunno, got it from Jetmid'...

Should you ever get called out, chances are that he's someone of us (even if personally I would never call anyone out).

In that case, try the secret 'Jetmid' word. Something like 'Oh, did Jetmid tell you that?'. Or 'Dunno, got it from Jetmid'...

Great, sssurfer, I'll do that! What does Jetmid mean? *g*

Just say "The strap costs more than the watch" and people will understand.

I have already hinted that! I was at Starbucks the other day, and though they have a really nice staff there -- everyone loves me and treats me fabulously -- there's always one sour-puss that stares at you like you give her the hibbie-jibbies, isn't there?

So this gal looks cooly at my PAM 118 with PAV 91, and says, "That watch is enormous." (read, hideously deformed). "Looks cheap". This seriously chaps my patooty, so I retort, "The strap alone costs much more than many Seikos I know."

Hint, she was wearing a Seiko. :bicycle: