When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do "falsehoods" in TV shows/movies ever bother you?

Jumbie

I just started watching Band of brothers again, Tell you what not a great deal of falsehoods there! But also lots of firing and some times not a lot getting hit! Also very true. Grenades that blow with a big ball of flame and people and cars flying, now that pisses me off! It does not happen like that, grenades are a bit of an anti climax after seeing so many films.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noise in space. I hate that.

A Sci-Fi show that didn't seem to be very realistic, but turned out to be one of the best, and shortest lived sci-fi series ever is Firefly. If I remember correctly, the opening scene was the crew blowing the hatch off a derelict ship they were salvaging and the explosion was silent.

A Sci-Fi show that didn't seem to be very realistic, but turned out to be one of the best, and shortest lived sci-fi series ever is Firefly. If I remember correctly, the opening scene was the crew blowing the hatch off a derelict ship they were salvaging and the explosion was silent.

Firefly is, without a doubt, the finest TV series ever made. The attention to detail was superb, like one scene where one character (Jayne) was firing his gun in outer-space, he had to put his gun inside a space suit to surround it in atmosphere. :D

And yes, they had no sound in vacuums. The first to do so since Kubrik's 2001.

Probably showing my age here, but does anyone remember the sci-fi series UFO?

Pet hates...( mostly regarding American movies....)

1. Why does NOBODY switch on lights when they go in their house.

2. Why do torches work in the light.....but not in the dark.

3. Why do high school or college kids...highly educated.......split up and go look for the axe murderer...!

4. Why....when everyone in the cinema is shouting...'Don't go in the basement".......they do...!

5. Why can't a nubile 16 year old potential Olympics candidate....with flat washboard stomach.....long legs....and a gymnasts physique......not outrun a hunchback...club footed chainsaw wielding 50 yr old with a Budweiser and Burger King gut......!

6. What is the law of attraction between carboard boxes fruitstands and clothing racks.... ...and speeding cars..!

7. Why DO they have fruit stands clothing racks and cardboard boxes on the sidewalk.

9. Why do we need to buy high performance Ferraris / Lambos / Porsches.....when any 10 year old Yank tank rustbucket can keep up with them...nay catch them even.....!

10. Why do brand new Cadillac STS.....start effortlessly throughout the movie.....until the point the axe murderer chases you....and then the starter motor won't fukkin' fire that brand new baby into life.....!

11. Why does the brand new Cadillac STS...drive beautifully throughout the movie.....up until the point when the axe murderer chases you....you finally fire up that mofo......then the brakes quit all the way down the PCH.

12. Why when the big truck is tryinhg to ram you from behind.....you can't speed away from that big ole slow oil burning Freightliner....!

13. Why when the big ole Mack slams into the rear of your car....do you just get a little neck jerk.....experience tells me that when a 40 ft tractor trailer hits you from behind...it's usually fukkin' FATAL.

14. Why does the American educational establshment not have as part of it's curriculum....."How to AVOID axe murderes when vacationing in the Appalachians".....!

15. Why is it only American cars that can be left with the window down ....unlocked...with a .44 Charter Arms Bulldog in the glove box....and nobody steals either.....!

16. Why do the red white or blue wires attached to the 'nuclear bomb".....with countdown timer.....always get cut just as it reaches 00:00:01

17. Why does the 'no-experience' suddenly recruited bomb disposal 'expert'......always guess the right colour wire to cut.

18. Why do people think that if you fly a 'flight sim'......that you can land a 747 single handed...!

19. Why does nobody suffer hydro-static shock when hit in the chest with a .50 Desert Eagle.....!

20. Why do people still believe that you can silence a revolver......!

21. Why does the 'good guy sniper'......always shoot the 'bad guy sniper"...thru the scope on the 'bad guys' rifle.....!

22.Why do people die 'instantaneously' when struck with an arrow in the shoulder....!

23. Why do people die 'instantaneously' when they get stabbed.

24. Why do people 'not die" when they get smacked over the head with a 4"x4" by The Rock.....!

25. Why do bodies falling from a tall building always land on a car or in a swimming pool.

26. Why does nobody get cut when they jump thru a plate glass window..!

27. Why does a 9mm Beretta with a 13 round capacity......spit out rounds endlessly....!

28. Why doesn't the good guy pickup ALL the weaponry from the myriad of dead bodies .....just in case.

29. WTF do so many people watch 'REALITY" shows......!

Why am I going on about all this [censored].......when I could be watching True Romance.....The Usual Suspects.....The Illusionist or The Contender.......

Edited by TTK

Of course. The toys were popular when I was growing up in the 70s.

I too had the metal toys from this show(UFO), and also from Space 1999. Remember Moon Base Alpha? I loved that show too. I believe these toys are still in the attic. I wonder if these are considered collectibles or antiques now? Really showing my age now!

I wonder if these are considered collectibles or antiques now? Really showing my age now!

Yes, they are, as long as they're in good condition. I no longer have my Eagle Transporter from Space 1999, unfortunately, but like every other kid I had one and lost/damaged/destroyed it making mint examples worth cash today.

• 3 months later...

Same subject different rant. When film makers spend millions on special fx actors pay and everthing else, why do they give them such crap names, like Saw Saw 2, Saw 3, what next Saw 3d like Jaws.

And another thing, a new multi Billion dollar movie Stadust. There is already a film called Stardust which was the follow up to That'll be the day. The tossers should have used some imagination and called it Stardust 2.

Cheers Johnkaz :blink:

Firefly is, without a doubt, the finest TV series ever made. The attention to detail was superb, like one scene where one character (Jayne) was firing his gun in outer-space, he had to put his gun inside a space suit to surround it in atmosphere. :D

And yes, they had no sound in vacuums. The first to do so since Kubrik's 2001.

I finished the first (and only) season now.. and I agree! It's a really good and 'believable' series. I love the 'Star Trek meets Gunsmoke'-setting. :)

..shame they didn't make a second season, just finished it all with "Serenity"

Did anyone see Transporter 2? Two men surviving (and the plane, lol) a 40,000 foot freefall into the ocean in a G4. Barrel rolling an A8L 30 feet in the air to knock a bomb lodged underneath the car off. And then landing without a scratch, let alone being bent in the middle, tires blown out, etc. Or jumping said car 200 feet between parking garages, with another 30 foot drop. A baddie manages to fall through the flimsy sheetrock wall in a doctor's office. Yet somehow, the 9mm lead sprayed at Jason Statham with two silenced mac-11s in said doctor's office never manages to spray through the other side of said flimsy sheetrock. Yeah, that movie could've been a whole lot better if it wasn't so...ridiculous.Also, am I the only one who finds it ridiculous when people take cover behind 1/2 inch thick wood tables, flimsy sheetrock walls, etc during gunfights, and the bullets somehow magically never penetrate? That always gets to me. Ridiculous. Also, am I the only one annoyed at the fact that whenever someone in a movie is using a computer or something, for every last click, input, process, result displayed, change in CPU load, memory occupation, PMS levels, etc, that it requires a beep?! If my electronics did that in real life, I'd throw everything away and join the Amish.Did anyone see Transporter 2? Two men surviving (and the plane, lol) a 40,000 foot freefall into the ocean in a G4. Barrel rolling an A8L 30 feet in the air to knock a bomb lodged underneath the car off. And then landing without a scratch, let alone being bent in the middle, tires blown out, etc. Or jumping said car 200 feet between parking garages, with another 30 foot drop. A baddie manages to fall through the flimsy sheetrock wall in a doctor's office. Yet somehow, the 9mm lead sprayed at Jason Statham with two silenced mac-11s in said doctor's office never manages to spray through the other side of said flimsy sheetrock. Yeah, that movie could've been a whole lot better if it wasn't so...ridiculous.Also, am I the only one who finds it ridiculous when people take cover behind 1/2 inch thick wood tables, flimsy sheetrock walls, etc during gunfights, and the bullets somehow magically never penetrate? That always gets to me. Ridiculous. Also, am I the only one annoyed at the fact that whenever someone in a movie is using a computer or something, for every last click, input, process, result displayed, change in CPU load, memory occupation, PMS levels, etc, that it requires a beep?! If my electronics did that in real life, I'd throw everything away and join the Amish.

I can't believe I missed this thread till now :D

Like Pugwash, I have no problem with suspension of disbelief, as long as the film/show remains consistent to it's own rules. I'm also a huge fan of Jerry Anderson shows. Space:1999 was good, but UFO, where Straker would slap someone around every other episode was way better. Anyone catch the hospital sign for Dr. Farkov in one episode? :lol: Oh, and Lieutenant Ellis always made for easy viewing :wub:

lso, am I the only one who finds it ridiculous when people take cover behind 1/2 inch thick wood tables, flimsy sheetrock walls, etc during gunfights, and the bullets somehow magically never penetrate? That always gets to me. Ridiculous. Also, am I the only one annoyed at the fact that whenever someone in a movie is using a computer or something, for every last click, input, process, result displayed, change in CPU load, memory occupation, PMS levels, etc, that it requires a beep?! If my electronics did that in real life, I'd throw everything away and join the Amish.

Heh, Defacto, you sound like my old boyfriend who used to grab his head during "Run Lola Run" (Lola Rennt) and whisper during the film, "GIVE THEM A FRIGGIN CELL PHONE. END OF." :lol:

He also used to scream, similar to your electronics-gone-amuk rant, during films where computers were taking over in 2001: A Space Odyssey-fashion, "UNPLUG THE FRIGGIN CORD. END OF."

Oh God, he was so funny and yet made me cringe during movie dates. ;)

You know what always gets me?

What email programmes do film characters use? I almost died when I saw Nicole Kidman use Yahoo in "The Translator".

Every other time, it's some fancy-schmancy prog which doesn't exist, but I keep thinking, wow that would be SO cool if it did. Flying mailboxes, a HUGE text alert on your wallpaper when you receive incoming email "YOU HAVE MAIL", or the super-cool government email with CIA TOP SECRET written on it bold capitals so anyone can see.

Come on Bill Gates, you know you can!

Did anyone see Transporter 2? Two men surviving (and the plane, lol) a 40,000 foot freefall into the ocean in a G4. Barrel rolling an A8L 30 feet in the air to knock a bomb lodged underneath the car off. And then landing without a scratch, let alone being bent in the middle, tires blown out, etc. Or jumping said car 200 feet between parking garages, with another 30 foot drop. A baddie manages to fall through the flimsy sheetrock wall in a doctor's office. Yet somehow, the 9mm lead sprayed at Jason Statham with two silenced mac-11s in said doctor's office never manages to spray through the other side of said flimsy sheetrock. Yeah, that movie could've been a whole lot better if it wasn't so...ridiculous.Also, am I the only one who finds it ridiculous when people take cover behind 1/2 inch thick wood tables, flimsy sheetrock walls, etc during gunfights, and the bullets somehow magically never penetrate? That always gets to me. Ridiculous. Also, am I the only one annoyed at the fact that whenever someone in a movie is using a computer or something, for every last click, input, process, result displayed, change in CPU load, memory occupation, PMS levels, etc, that it requires a beep?! If my electronics did that in real life, I'd throw everything away and join the Amish.

Some serious suspension of disbelief required in that movie :D Not bad to watch, but nowhere near as good as The Transporter... At least Frank was still wearing his Panerai. With an alarm ;)

That would cover the purchase plan but not the monthly charges. You really don't remember mobiles in 1998, do you. ;)

Though we saw this film in 2000, and Deutsche Telekomm were finally losing their deathgrip in Germany, I do have to say you are partly right.

However, we had a mobile in 1992, which is considered very late for medical doctors in the States (my entire life was ruled by a bleeper at my dad's side, going off at 3 AM every night), so I may have thought they were more ubiquitous than they were.

BUT, taking your never give up the ghost debating theme to heart, I will also say that if the boyfriend were a wannabe drugs dealer, he certainly would've been furnished by one from his boss, and could've afforded one for the gf. So there. :p