When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do "falsehoods" in TV shows/movies ever bother you?

Jumbie

Do you remember the price of cell phones in Europe in 1998?

;)

haha!... I think.. :p

I got my first in 1996.. A shiny Panasonic G 500. ..Girls used to go "Omg it's so tiny!"

panasonicg500dc9.jpg

I can't remember what it cost me, but I was an apprentice engineer making around nothing ($600) a month when I bought it.

..no pre-paid either, and I still have that same number. :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my first in 1996.. A shiny Panasonic G 500. ..Girls used to go "Omg it's so tiny!"

Lucky dog! This was our first (well, in looks).

7474motimageix8.jpg

Being a pack rat, I still have it somewhere in the storage room. As well as the first computer my dad ever bought me, the Mac SE II with two floppy-disk slots. :wub:

Pack rat.. oh yes.. I fear the day we're moving to the new house.

I had two jobs by the time I was 12.. and I spent all my money on a Commodore 64. It was gaming heaven. :)

I actually managed to convince my parents that "This thing will probably make me a computer genius!"

BUT, taking your never give up the ghost debating theme to heart, I will also say that if the boyfriend were a wannabe drugs dealer, he certainly would've been furnished by one from his boss, and could've afforded one for the gf. So there. :p

No chance, they'd have been on pagers. Pagers were untraceable whereas mobiles needed iron-clad credit ratings. Drug dealers only moved from pagers to mobiles when pay-as-you-go phones became available.

1998 was the end of the pager era. I didn't get a mobile phone until 1999/2000 and I was an IT Manager on call. To expect young couples like in Lola Rennt to both have mobiles is using 21st century thinking for 20th century problems: It's the easy way out.

My first mobile was a Nokia 7110 "Matrix" phone. Probably the first mobile phone to be actively lusted after by name. I still have it and it still works.

180px-Nokia_7110_open.png

My first mobile was a Nokia 7110 "Matrix" phone. Probably the first mobile phone to be actively lusted after by name. I still have it and it still works.

180px-Nokia_7110_open.png

I had one of those, and if the slide still locked into place, I'd still be using it today :D

Pack rat.. oh yes.. I fear the day we're moving to the new house.

It's a nightmare, but it cleanses your soul. Unfortunately, somehow I know I have my old mobiles and SE II somewhere, but we've lost all my baby pics in our various moves...I was such a cute kid too. B)

I had two jobs by the time I was 12.. and I spent all my money on a Commodore 64. It was gaming heaven. :)

I actually managed to convince my parents that "This thing will probably make me a computer genius!"

Ooh, always wanted to have a Commodore 64! But I was given an Atari, and well, like Nintendo/Sega back when, it was one or t'other.

Sega Genesis for me, BTW. Still have my "Pele" soccer game and NHL '93. My current boyfriend gave me a PS2 for Christmas one time, but I rarely play on it. Not into gaming at all. :(

I hate a couple things. First and foremost the guy with the revolver who fires a rapid 15 shots without reloading. Actually any gun that shoots way too many times sans a reload pisses me off. Then there are the gunshot wounds that really don't bother guys so much. They take a round in the shoulder and it's "ah well, better wrap a bandage on it and keep trucking...."

I've seen a guy who was shot, it was a .22lr and he was screaming bloody murder, begging the EMTs to cut his leg off it hurt so bad.

I hate a couple things. First and foremost the guy with the revolver who fires a rapid 15 shots without reloading. Actually any gun that shoots way too many times sans a reload pisses me off. Then there are the gunshot wounds that really don't bother guys so much. They take a round in the shoulder and it's "ah well, better wrap a bandage on it and keep trucking...."

I've seen a guy who was shot, it was a .22lr and he was screaming bloody murder, begging the EMTs to cut his leg off it hurt so bad.

Interestingly, you'd think as a Historian (which I mention like twice a day here) I'd be really upset with cinematic license, in dates or events, right?

Nope.

It's make-believe people. Unless it's a documentary, I don't mind it, although yes, I groaned during all of Braveheart.

But remember when Princess Isabelle was told by Edward I (speaking of reinforcement troops sent for to attack Scots), "They were sent for a month ago"?

Well, I LOVED THAT. Patrick McGoohan made the whole film for me. It precisely encapsulated the wiley Realpolitik character of one of England's greatest monarchs (sorry Scots and Welshies, but it's true).

As for six-shooters going off for 20 rounds, eh.

I kinda miss it when John Wayne killed guys, and with Agatha Christie cleanliness, no one fell to the ground splurting tonnes of blood. :)

John Wayne, my kind of movie star. Let me tell you, as a kid I had just about every movie he ever starred in, and just about wore the tapes out. I still love some of his classics, and The Shootist ranks up there as the only movie that has caused me to shed a tear. (aside from anything by that fat slob moore, or al gore, I laugh so hard I HAVE to cry.)

Demi or Roger.... :p

:animal_rooster:

You forgot Mike, together they form a group of relatively uncommon people. All left a blemish on humanity. Demi... went from a "10" to a "0", Roger ruined bond (how you do that I don't know, but he managed) and dear old Michael... well aside from being painful to look at, he's one of those people that take the interpretive view of "truth." We'd all be better off if those three had been rounded up and caged from birth on.

*edit to admit, yes I thought she was hot once. I've since grown and realized how sad she really is. Ashton Kutcher.... wow.... bad choices abound.*

Edited by capt_cope

Big fan of documentaries, but my pet peeves are:

1) Historical fiction

2) Historical dramas (Oliver Stone, Steven Spielberg, etc)

Both distort history and create folklore, rewrite history, etc. Almost, but not quite as bad as, the BBC ;-)

Oh, high recommendations for Netflix subscribers:

1) Murder on a Sunday Morning

2) Staircase

3) Thin Blue Line

All three are great documentaries about the US criminal injustice system. Thin Blue Line hit the mainstream in its heyday but the others are hidden gems.

Interestingly, you'd think as a Historian (which I mention like twice a day here) I'd be really upset with cinematic license, in dates or events, right?

Nope.

It's make-believe people. Unless it's a documentary, I don't mind it, although yes, I groaned during all of Braveheart.

But remember when Princess Isabelle was told by Edward I (speaking of reinforcement troops sent for to attack Scots), "They were sent for a month ago"?

Well, I LOVED THAT. Patrick McGoohan made the whole film for me. It precisely encapsulated the wiley Realpolitik character of one of England's greatest monarchs (sorry Scots and Welshies, but it's true).

As for six-shooters going off for 20 rounds, eh.

I kinda miss it when John Wayne killed guys, and with Agatha Christie cleanliness, no one fell to the ground splurting tonnes of blood. :)

"Who is Number One??!!"

"You are, Number Six..."

Took me ages to finally hear that in the credits, but one Number Two finally put the right emphasis to make it clear :D

I hardly watch any movies due to a low BS tolerance level

One scene leaps to mind - Italian Job2... Helo inside a multi level car park, sandwedged by concrete top & bottom, threatening a car and occupants with it's tail rotor !!!!!! Oh how we laughed (reaching for the eject disc button).

Of course I know it's make believe and certain truths have to be overlooked in order for the show to progress. Usually I can live with it and say "it's just a movie" but every now and then I come across a scene where I just have to say "COME ON!!"

For example, I've never seen the show Prison Break although many of my friends rave over it. I was a bum this weekend and watched the entire first season. There's a lot of suspension of reality in this show but, again, I can live with it for the most part. But just now I saw a scene where a guy's hand gets cut off and he finds someone to sew it back on and then almost immediately after, he's using it like nothing was wrong.

Prison Break is the dumbest f**king show I've ever seen. Hate it. For some odd reason my wife likes it. Must be the half naked men at time. The show seriously sucks.

One scene leaps to mind - Italian Job2... Helo inside a multi level car park, sandwedged by concrete top & bottom, threatening a car and occupants with it's tail rotor !!!!!! Oh how we laughed (reaching for the eject disc button).

Another source of mirth is how you can have a scene like that which is ridiculous in every which, way and form - and yet the reported 'mistakes' on the internet are not that you can't fly a helicopter through a car park or whatever. It's that:

"Factual errors: When the helicopter pilot say's they're moving out he gives the flight identifier code as 3KB - three kilo bravo. This code is normally the last three digits of the aircraft registration but their helicopter has the registration N723KP."

"When Charlie is confronted by the helicopter under the freeway, the buses in the background are MUNI buses. The movie takes place in Los Angeles; MUNI is the public transportation in San Francisco."

"The license plate changes on the blue Mini between scenes. Mostly the plate is 2SAQ321, but when the helicopter is chasing, the plate reads 2SBI658."

:crazy:

Incidentally - is this a joke? I just saw on IMDB that they're planning a sequel.....called The Brazilian Job !! :bangin:

Is it set in a waxing salon?!

IMDB: The Brazilian Job (2009)