When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone tried the water resistant of UPO?

arminvanbuuren

hi was just wondering.. are the UPOs waterproofed? because it has all the HE valve and everything and supposed to be built like a tank.. so my question is that has anyone tried swimming with it or take a shower with it? if not.. how do i waterproof my watch? (if i want to do it myself without taking it to a watchsmith?) thanks alot peeps :)

There was another thread on this a couple of weeks ago, 90% of people had had no problems what so ever.

As FxrAndy stated... another thread recently covered this very topic...

I'll rehash my PO experiences for you...

4th gen... waterproof for swimming after putting silicon on the caseback seal

UPO eta... waterproof for swimming... only tightened caseback and crowns

UPO Lite... see above.

Its a pretty well made rep. Only way to know for sure is try.

The watch should not need any modding for water resistance, especialy for normal daily use, as long as your crown still screws in and the HE valve is tight and so is the back you can almost expect it to be fine for surface swiming or a sprint in the rain. Dont take this as gospal and winge because it wasent but if you can buy a 3 atm watch with out a scewdown crown and pressed on case back for next to nothing why should the reps be that bad!

How to waterproof an Ultimate Planet Ocean: Grease the rings, tighten the caseback, test it and hope. There is no magic that can be done, just luck. It's either waterproof or it isn't.

Oh, this works with all replicas of waterproof watches.

There is no magic that can be done, just luck. It's either waterproof or it isn't.

Indeed.

Even if advertised or certified WaterProof.

I was about testing it in the sea today.

But, with such a bad crown, I think I'll pass.

Make sure your crown screws in perfectly (that is without any resistance) before you test it...

Cheers

Stephane

hi was just wondering.. are the UPOs waterproofed? because it has all the HE valve and everything and supposed to be built like a tank.. so my question is that has anyone tried swimming with it or take a shower with it? if not.. how do i waterproof my watch? (if i want to do it myself without taking it to a watchsmith?) thanks alot peeps :)

I have actually used my UPO for scuba diving. I did a few things to it first though. The helium valve is actually just a screw going through the case with a crown on the end of it and it isn't waterproof at all. You have to take the movement out and use some epoxy putty to permanently seal the He valve shut from the inside of the case. Make sure you work the putty into the threads and pack it in all around the screw. Once you've done that screw and unscrew the valve a few times to make sure it is really worked in there. Then screw it back in really tight and pack the putty back in around where the screw comes through on the inside of the case. Now, after this do not touch the He valve for 24 hours while the epoxy is hardening. After this put some silicone grease on the caseback seal and on the inside of the crown tube. Finally, use a case wrench to really torque down the caseback and you should be fine. I've had mine at fifteen feet deep for an hour with no problems, and two weeks from now I'm going diving again to eighty feet for about 35-40 minutes and I'll be able to give it the real test. I think it should do just fine. I'll post my results from that dive if I remember, I don't think people give waterproofed UPO's enough credit.

Ahh, thanks pug!

I checked the caseback gasket and tightened it up, The crown one worried me because I could not see it with the crown unscrewed like I can on a Rolex rep.

Either way I just took a shower with my PO on out of sheer boredom, and it seems to have held up just fine :)