When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's wrong with my noobmariner?

Gigatron

Hey gang,

I was wondering if someone (or everyone/anyone who knows) could please tell me, specifically, what visual clues, someone in the know, could use to pick it out as a replica. I want to use this as a learning experience so I know what to look for myself in the future in case anyone tries to pass a rep as a gen.

If possible, please be specific when pointing something out as I'm trying to learn myself. Keep in mind I'm not very good with some abbreviations, so if you could, ummm...dumb it down (I guess), that would be appreciated.

285490-8716.jpg

285490-8717.jpg

285490-8718.jpg

285490-8719.jpg

285490-8720.jpg

285490-8721.jpg

Thanks for any help,

Fred

Shortcomings on the noobmariner are:

1. Rehaut is only 1.8mm vs 2.0mm on a gen- can't do anything about that

2. Pearl is too small- a www.watchmaterial.com/ pearl (PN315-16800) would help that

3. Crown is too big- a gen with a gen case tube or an aftermarket case tube would cure that

4. Trimming the inside edges of the crown guards and making them more vertical like a gen would be the last thing

bklm said the date mag was a little too small, but it doesn't bother me.

A lot of people think it's the best out of the box w/o mods.

Well, I'm not up for any major surgery like grinding the crown guards, but I might consider replacing the pearl, if it's a simple procedure.

I didn't see a replacement pearl on the watchmaterial webiste, but I did see the 315-16800-1 replacement bezel insert. Is that the one? If so, how do you replace the inserts in these?

Thanks,

Fred

Fred, thanks for asking the n00b question I've longed to ask but was too shy too (I was scared of Stephane! Before he found mercy in his heart).

I take it you bought this from Josh? He had it for $108 shipped, and I sure would like to buy one but hesitated before getting this knowledge.

Thanks to all who answered.

(I was scared of Stephane! Before he found mercy in his heart).

I wouldn't flame u Mademoiselle.

Because you are a demoiselle and because you stated you would become VIP asap :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Alligoat cover it all I think and By-Tor's review too.

Get a classic watch part insert and pearl, that is the worst point in your pictures .

www.classicwatchparts.com you may have to wait untill they have one available though.

Now, if this sub is coming from Josh (which is not obvious at all, there are so many), I would still recommend getting the legendary Noob from TTK.

At least you're safe with the dial AND bracelet.

Cheers

Stephane

Fred, thanks for asking the n00b question I've longed to ask but was too shy too (I was scared of Stephane! Before he found mercy in his heart).

I take it you bought this from Josh? He had it for $108 shipped, and I sure would like to buy one but hesitated before getting this knowledge.

Thanks to all who answered.

Oh,my pleasure. I'm never too embarrassed to ask these kinds of questions. Turns out, you need shame before you can be ashamed :lol:

Anyway, I actually got this beauty from Andrew for $218 shipped. This is the ETA model. I figured since I wasn't going to own more than one or two watches, I might as well go all out and get the swiss movement. Honestly, I have yet to be disappointed.

So, what's the deal with replacing the bezel and/or the pearl? Are they one piece or two piece? How do I do it?

Thanks,

Fred

I wouldn't flame u Mademoiselle.

Because you are a demoiselle

Mais pas une d'Avignon! :victory:

and because you stated you would become VIP asap :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's raining and boring where I am, so I decided to go to the Dark Side today, to see what they had on sale. The atmosphere is GOOD, but it's not like this place. It's more sophistikated here...

Anyway, I posted on a few threads since I donated a LITTLE something to become VIP there. But I'm even thinking of donating more than $30 here, when we finally get that sorted out. If my funds haven't completed depleted themselves buying straps...

So, what's the deal with replacing the bezel and/or the pearl? Are they one piece or two piece? How do I do it?

Thanks,

Fred

Lift the bezel insert off of the bezel (the metal part) with an x-acto knife or similar sharp object and then pop the pearl off from the back. Pop the pearl out of the watchmaterial insert and glue it into the noobmariner insert. Then you clean the glue off of the bezel and insert and reglue. You can use 5 minute epoxy, GS hypo-cement, not superglue.

Or,

You might be able to just pop the noob pearl off and the glue the watchmaterial pearl in the hole. Just use the glue sparingly so you don't glue the bezel in place!

Trial and error is the key here!

Lift the bezel insert off of the bezel (the metal part) with an x-acto knife or similar sharp object and then pop the pearl off from the back. Pop the pearl out of the watchmaterial insert and glue it into the noobmariner insert. Then you clean the glue off of the bezel and insert and reglue. You can use 5 minute epoxy, GS hypo-cement, not superglue.

Or,

You might be able to just pop the noob pearl off and the glue the watchmaterial pearl in the hole. Just use the glue sparingly so you don't glue the bezel in place!

Trial and error is the key here!

I used "crazyglue Gel" on my last insert i glued into my Noobmariner and then i tried to swap it out again one day and well uhm.. nope.. shes glued in there forever i think LOL. whoops. I did all the prep.. grinded down the back and edges of the insert and scuffed up the inside of the bezel for better adhesion, and cleaned it all with rubbing alcohol... well its never coming out now (not without destroying the insert anyways). And yeah its really easy to glue the whole bezel in place and it will never turn again if you do.

Hi Fred, thanks for the pictures and posting of this thread as I'm planning on getting a Submariner too. Managed to learn a few things here and there which are pretty interesting. Without some of the experienced members pointing out the finer points I would not have realized that much differences too.

And Stephane, in fact I'm narrowing my choice down to TTK's noobmariner too but so far no reply from him yet......it's a waiting game hope it's worth the wait...

Hi Fred, thanks for the pictures and posting of this thread as I'm planning on getting a Submariner too. Managed to learn a few things here and there which are pretty interesting. Without some of the experienced members pointing out the finer points I would not have realized that much differences too.

And Stephane, in fact I'm narrowing my choice down to TTK's noobmariner too but so far no reply from him yet......it's a waiting game hope it's worth the wait...

My pleasure. It seems like a lot of new people are always too shy to ask question for fear of bringing down the wrath of the long-time members. I just figure that they were newbies too at one point. Plus, I'm too old to be afraid of internet people B)

Anyway, I got mine from trustytime (I don't know if that's the the same as TTK or anything - I hate all these abbreviations). It was 5 days from time of order to arrival at my doorstep. Can't beat that kind of service - especially when you're getting a watch of this quality :1a:

-Fred

As Mao Tse Rwg said: Patience is a vertue!

Did HE really said that or was it Confu-Rwg :animal_rooster:

Anyway, TTK will reply to you, don't worry about that.

And, yes it's worth the wait. I have been looking for one for 6 months.

I am not disapointed at all:

1. It's an RWG legend

2. It's a unbeatable rep for the price (even better than the Ultimate @ 458$ in my opinion)

3. If you go to higher priced Subs like MBW or TW best, you will already have a correct dial and bracelet to throw in.

By the way, I have a modded MBW 1610 with a Noob Dial and some nice mods waiting for me when I go back home.

We'll see what members think about it.

I hope that the artist will accept to sign his work this time though :1a:

Cheers

Stephane

Hi Stephane, thanks for the advice. Anyway waited for a while so the urge is subsided...shall wait for his reply and in a way also good as help to save up a bit and not any how spend! And since it's so good, guess good things are worth waiting for thus I shall wait. :victory:

Well I'm happy you mention this.

I must be too old to understand the hype with these phones...

Is it a phone or some kind of sofisticated d*ldo ?

If not, what is it ?

Please Pm me about that !!!

Yes, it is a sophisticated dildo. I'm not ashamed. :whistling: