When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A warning if you like to go shooting

section8

I stopped at the pistol range on the way home today - wearing my Ferrari Pam chrono. I only shot about 100 rounds. On the drive home, I noticed that the minute hand counter on the chrono was pointing to 19 minutes. And now it won't reset. Fun. Guess it didn't like the weaver stance.

I stopped at the pistol range on the way home today - wearing my Ferrari Pam chrono. I only shot about 100 rounds. On the drive home, I noticed that the minute hand counter on the chrono was pointing to 19 minutes. And now it won't reset. Fun. Guess it didn't like the weaver stance.

Ever since I started reading this forum, and seeing all those wonderful guns next to people's watches, I have wanted to get my dad to oil his handguns for me, and let me take a couple to the pistol range. There's one near Homestead here where you pay $5 entry and can shoot as many rounds as you want, all day long, if you can.

The problem is...which watch would not make me look like a butch lesbian police officer practising her marksmanship? I love my PAMs, but you know, even with the red nails there's a limit.

And which could take a beating?

I hit the search button on two forums, and realised, hmm, better not. Even with my gens.

So I uncovered an old Swiss Army watch which used to be my golf beater, and which has a D-link preppy pink-green strap similar to the one I once saw President Bush Sr. wear on a golf course, and will use that there. :)

Maybe pics to follow!

Ever since I started reading this forum, and seeing all those wonderful guns next to people's watches, I have wanted to get my dad to oil his handguns for me, and let me take a couple to the pistol range. There's one near Homestead here where you pay $5 entry and can shoot as many rounds as you want, all day long, if you can.

The problem is...which watch would not make me look like a butch lesbian police officer practising her marksmanship? I love my PAMs, but you know, even with the red nails there's a limit.

And which could take a beating?

I hit the search button on two forums, and realised, hmm, better not. Even with my gens.

So I uncovered an old Swiss Army watch which used to be my golf beater, and which has a D-link preppy pink-green strap similar to the one I once saw President Bush Sr. wear on a golf course, and will use that there. :)

Maybe pics to follow!

LOL @ butch lesbian police officer

I've worn my LV Sub, PAM 005, and gen Tag Link to the range, all had no issues at all. My guess is that the only movements that may possibly have issues would be a chrono movement.

I learned the same lesson with an old quartz breitling rep whilst playing golf. I guess I was swinging a little too hard, and the chrono hand ended up about 10 seconds off the mark. Luckily quartz watches have a way to fix this without taking them apart. Now my chronos stay at home when I'm doing anything strenuous.

Another "only in America" post.... :o

Well my trigger-happy friends, my rule of thumb is never subject an automatic movement to the following:

a] ripping a driver off the 5th tee

b] bare-knuckle fighting with local 'travelling' folk

c] pneumatic drill practice and/or DIY dentistry

d] servicing a particle accelerator

e] 'assisting' a vet during a site visit to the local dairy farm

f] your local watch monkey/key cutter

g] 'nocturnal' practice with a twelve-bore, bagging of a brace of pheasant belonging to a Russian oligarch's country estate

If you feel compelled to do any of the above, please do yourself a favour and strap on a quartz :rolleyes:

LOL @ butch lesbian police officer

I've worn my LV Sub, PAM 005, and gen Tag Link to the range, all had no issues at all. My guess is that the only movements that may possibly have issues would be a chrono movement.

Well you must have a girly swing :whistling: .....or are using graphite shafts?

My sticks (Ping Eye II WRX) have steel Rifle shafts, absolutely zero flex, stiffer than an excited racehorse.....totally unforgiving and I feel every less than perfect shot through my wrist, forearm and shoulder. Keeps me focussed. When I need to rip one out (usually a 2-iron OTT if my driver's being a [censored]), a bulky auto chrono on my wrist is the equivalent of a canary down the coalmine.

Well you must have a girly swing :whistling: .....or are using graphite shafts?

My sticks (Ping Eye II WRX) have steel Rifle shafts, absolutely zero flex, stiffer than an excited racehorse.....totally unforgiving and I feel every less than perfect shot through my wrist, forearm and shoulder. Keeps me focussed. When I need to rip one out (usually a 2-iron OTT if my driver's being a [censored]), a bulky auto chrono on my wrist is the equivalent of a canary down the coalmine.

Pistol range, not driving range :o Come to think of it, the times i've gone to the driving range i've been wearing my Link or the LV Sub so I haven't had any issues with my chrono movements - but now i know not to subject them to golf either.

Well you must have a girly swing :whistling: .....

HEY! I resemble that.

I always used to laugh inwardly at my foursome partners during a round. I would sling my golf bag and walk a few yards to the lady's tee, take out my number1, take a swing, and shoot it RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE...but only 110-120 yards long. That's a PW for Tiger. Many guys can achieve that with a 7-iron. Then, my partners would waggle their shafts like the pros, pose very macho-like whilst addressing the ball, and RIP IT 250 YARDS! ...landing on hole 8. Yeah, girly swings.

Anyway, what was said about chronos and watches in general, is right. That's why Tiger had to come out with his own. I was THIS close to buying one from TWP, too, but someone beat me to it.

I haven't played golf in years, but I'm thinking of taking it up in October, again.

HEY! I resemble that.

I always used to laugh inwardly at my foursome partners during a round. I would sling my golf bag and walk a few yards to the lady's tee, take out my number1, take a swing, and shoot it RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE...but only 110-120 yards long. That's a PW for Tiger. Many guys can achieve that with a 7-iron. Then, my partners would waggle their shafts like the pros, pose very macho-like whilst addressing the ball, and RIP IT 250 YARDS! ...landing on hole 8. Yeah, girly swings.

Anyway, what was said about chronos and watches in general, is right. That's why Tiger had to come out with his own. I was THIS close to buying one from TWP, too, but someone beat me to it.

I haven't played golf in years, but I'm thinking of taking it up in October, again.

:fishing1: ......... :fishing: .....and she bites! ;) Why October though? Me, I'm a fair-weather golfer, not one of these miserable hipflask-toting winter tee junkies.

Anyway, not just the G-force you subject the movt to, I also put a bit of snap and draw into my shots (on purpose of course, honest :unsure: ) and just having an auto case never mind with chrono pushers on my wrist, would be a tad uncomfortable on follow-through.

@section 8 - "range" LOL - there you go, another example of two countries divided by a common language

:fishing1: ......... :fishing: .....and she bites! ;) Why October though? Me, I'm a fair-weather golfer, not one of these miserable hipflask-toting winter tee junkies.

A) I live in Florida, the land of 2000 golf course. ;)

B ) My boyfriend is coming down during that time, and wants to practise.

C) Winter, what's winter?

D) Right now, the heat is overpowering, and the midges are the size of Godzilla.

E) I'm feeling lazy these days. Too many watches/straps...too little time.

And yes, I knew I was being fished, but as they say when playing UNO, GO FISH! :lol:

I always used to laugh inwardly at my foursome partners during a round. I would sling my golf bag and walk a few yards to the lady's tee....

Oh how I wish I could share an amusing tale about ladies' tees and a certain member here, but apart from being ungentlemanly, it would almost certainly get me banned not to mention a long midnight walk into the woods carrying a shovel :unsure:

Crap, if he's reading this, I'm done for regardless... :black_eye:

Oh how I wish I could share an amusing tale about ladies' tees and a certain member here, but apart from being ungentlemanly, it would almost certainly get me banned not to mention a long midnight walk into the woods carrying a shovel :unsure:

Crap, if he's reading this, I'm done for regardless... :black_eye:

Mystery! I like it.

And if Veronica is me, dad has a few S&Ws, a Mauser, and a few other ones which I haven't bothered to inquire what they are. He's also British, so the whole "American" cultural smirks some people have (not necessarily here), are irrelevant about our particular family.

He's just an ex-Guards officer, albeit he was the regimental medical officer.

Mystery! I like it.

And if Veronica is me, dad has a few S&Ws, a Mauser, and a few other ones which I haven't bothered to inquire what they are. He's also British, so the whole "American" cultural smirks some people have (not necessarily here), are irrelevant about our particular family.

He's just an ex-Guards officer, albeit he was the regimental medical officer.

Not that much of a mystery, just note the bits I bolded and use a little imagination ;) Although I wasn't joking about the danger posed to my health and/or any shred of a reputation I have here should he feel inclined for revenge :unsure:

RMO you say? Similar to my original career path as a naive 19-year old, before I was warned off due to the poor reputation of 'meatball surgeons' should you wish to leave and find a job in the outside world.

Another "only in America" post.... :o

Well my trigger-happy friends, my rule of thumb is never subject an automatic movement to the following:

d] servicing a particle accelerator

Yeah, that happens to me all the time. :victory:

Not that much of a mystery, just note the bits I bolded and use a little imagination ;) Although I wasn't joking about the danger posed to my health and/or any shred of a reputation I have here should he feel inclined for revenge :unsure:

RMO you say? Similar to my original career path as a naive 19-year old, before I was warned off due to the poor reputation of 'meatball surgeons' should you wish to leave and find a job in the outside world.

Here have some more slurm :D

Sorry mate you've lost me, I know what Slurm is (and more importantly where it comes from) just don't get the connection in this context :blink:

p.s. time to update your sig perhaps? :p

I think so, but since this foot injury (December 2006) that heas kept me from playing football (the real one), I've gotten so fat and lazy :( I should start playing again in the next week or two. For 5 minutes. :bicycle:

c] pneumatic drill

I've actually used one of those and a Tigre metal saw numerous times with both my toolwatches, a Seadweller and a 177H. I work in the north sea on oilrigs and I've bought them for work purpose. I keep my other watches for casual and party. They have both done almost a year of timeservice for me in both storm and rainshowers. If Sly can do doomsday manouvering in a dark underwater tunnel with his PAM, I reckon I can abuse mine at work. After all I think they deserve more than dustcover and winder on a shelf. I say everyone should have one or two kick ass work watches ;) No casio at work for me ;)

Edited by NORing

Heh. Poor Docblackrock. In his case, fortunately, he's not a surgeon so no chance of his knife slipping near your spleen. :p

@FxrAndy: Ahh. I think I understand. Will do.

Tangentially, one time I had dinner at a small little restaurant in Belgium, where the owner and his wife spoke perfect English. They were delighted I was there, and moreover, that I was British. When the owner asked about myself, I mentioned my father similarly to what I said above. Next thing I know, the man is giving me a bear hug, almost with tears in his eyes.

The British had liberated his hometown and he never forgot the particular kindness of a ruddy-faced Tommy, who gave him a small lolly and a comforting smile...

I get a little choked up just thinking about the sincerity of that hug.

Seiko SKX-007K or my trusty Marathon steel Navigator or it's black composite brother do just fine.

Does it follow that diving watches would be able to sustain the beating of a firing range (as they are known in the US)? Not questioning, I genuinely am interested.

Turns out that if I don't bring dad along, I can't shoot his pistols in that range I mentioned. They have to be licensed to me. :(

Just means I'll have to get my first Handgun! Woo!

Good heads up Section8, I guess I always wear a beater quartz Marathon shooting and don't give it a thought.

The hand is probably loose from the tube. Get out the glue and a loupe.

Funny that happened to you; I went shooting this weekend with my newly installed swiss 7750 in my IWC 3717 this weekend, and my daywheel came loose. Pain in the ass.